First trout on a fly i tied!

Yotrout

Yotrout

I caught a 12" rainbow and lost a few nice size ones this morning on a fly i tied myself. I had tried a few different flies but the one that did it was a size 14 wooly bugger/phesant tail hybrid. Basically i used a small piece of green marabou for a tail. Tied in some copper. Wrapped in peacock herl and used a small piece of black feather for hackle. I fished it like a nymph using a thingamabobber and when it ran out of steam i would retrieve it like a bugger. The only downside is you have to adjust the thingamabobber every few casts but its a small price to pay. I caught a bunch of sunnys and lost a few trout being over anxious. After i caught the trout i changed the fly. Im going to save the original but trust me, duplications will be made! Great day. :-D

Congrats! There's nothing like catching a fish on a fly that you tied.

Almost sounds like a good damsel pattern. It'll be your favorite pattern for a while until you start catching them on other things you tie. Nice work.

Oh yeah!
That's what I'm talkin about. :)

I retired the first 2 flies I tied that caught fish. I still have the size 14 san juan worm and size 14 hare's ear. Good luck with the tying.

gramps 1947

There you go, first fly you tied and you're already catching fish and experimenting. That's how you do it.

Glad to here you took another step! What's next?

I caught my first fish on flies I tied earlier in the year. It is a great feeling and welcome to the addiction. When I look at some of the first ones I tied I can't believe how much better I have gotten in a short time. Congratulations!

What a feeling, right? My first was a tiny little brown trout on a bead head flash back pheasant tail. It was a sink, but it still counts. Keep a record of your milestones. I remember all mine.

Meant to say it was a dink but it still counts...

Why can't I edit my posts?

Great job Yotrout! Tying is very addictive, especially when you start fooling the fish. I didn't save my "first" fly but I know it was a bugger, and i remeber where it was....that is why I made sure that I saved my first successful dry....a sz 16 sulphur compara dun.

wait til you start building your own rods...

congrats!

u should post a picture of your hybrid bugger nymph im curious.

I envy you guys. I think my first was when I was poaching them from hatchery waters. :lol:

I'm joking. i only did that with purchased flies.;-)

IMHO The only thing better than the feeling of catching the first one on a fly that you tied is catching the first one on a rod you built yourself on in my case an old antique that I restored.

I remember the first trout I caught on the first antique cane rod I ever rebuilt. It's a 1934 Horrocks Ibbottson that I completely rebuilt. I was speculating "if this rod could talk..." That rod was probably catching fish for someone even before Pete and Gulf were born and it's back in action.

They were all stocked trout, but still.

I ran out of peacock herl so i just used some sparkly olive cheneille instead for this one. I can't complain when i run out of stuff because it gives me a reason to head to TCO. I like playing with the fibers to make legs, antennea, etc.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 4
Whoops! Sorry, not sure why it's upside down.

Back