First trip for steelhead

A

AixSponsa

I'm making my very first trip for steelhead next week and I was wondering if my 9' 5wt. rod will be enough stick for the job. The friend I am going with uses his 6wt. with no problems so I am hoping I'll be able to mke do with the lighter pole. If I decide that I like it Im sure I will end up getting something heavier. I am also informed that wooley buggers in white, black and olive will get the job done as well (sizes 6 and 8.) I'm gonna tie up a bunch with a bit more flash just for this trip...maybe some egg flies as well...any recommendations?

Depends on the rod. There's a pretty broad variety of rod actions, and depending on what you've got, you may be fine. This is where you'll want a reel with a really good drag system to help you out.

A softer action rod paired with a Pflueger Medalist is probably not a good tool for the job. I've used a TFO Jim Teeny 10' 5wt and a Tioga 6 reel with absolutely no trouble on steelhead. That rod has a beast of a butt section, and the reel has a good drag. If worse comes to worse, with a good drag you can point the rod almost directly at the fish, and let the butt section work for you as well as the drag of the reel.

As for the flies, don't forget to bring your usual trout nymph patterns along.....

Aix,

The key to a successful trip is hooking up with a few of these beasts. If your five weight is not quite up to the task and you lose a fish or two that you might have landed, it won't ruin your trip.

Standard trout nymphs, egg patterns, and buggers should cover the flies for you very well.

Have a ball!

Your 5 wt. should be ok. This time of year won't be as crowded, so you can fight them and chase them down more easily. I have used a 5 wt. 6wt. and 8wt. and landed steelies on all of them. The reel really helps, good drag system is key.

Flies, I love the sucker spawn (fav. pink, next fav. white) and definitely trout nymphs. Good luck and enjoy it.

Blackfly has nailed this one - ditto.. have fun

Thanks everyone for the replies...the reel is an Orvis Clear Creek, with the disc drag--it has handled a fair number of large brown trout and smallmouths, so Im confident it can handle stellhead. Just think, if I decide I really like it I will have a good excuse to gt a whole new rig! Now I can spend the weekend tying up scads of wooley buggers and nymphs (Im figuring stoneflies and Princes.) Its always so much more fun tying with a specific trip in mind.

I've had a lot of luck with a bead head prince up there on steelies. Also make sure you're stocked full of different colors of eggs... I usually use 3 single egg colors - cream, salmon, blue with different color blood dots on each, and sucker spawns in cream and a few colors of crystal meth ss. I've had a little luck with streamers, but mostly just drifting. Bring your fair share of spit shot too. The trick is to get the flies down to the fish as quick as possible. It's not un hear of for me to put 3 or 4 large split shot on.

Have fun, use heavier tippet, and give us a report on your success... ohh by the way, HOLD ON!

Well, I answered my own question today on Elk creek. You CAN use a 5wt. for steelhead....but it isnt enough rod. My buddy and I landed 8 or 9 fish, the largest about 6 pounds, the smallest about 3. Most of our fish came on white clouser minnows and wooley buggers, but my largest fish was on a single egg. I had a great time and I will certainly be doing much more of this....but next time with a 7 wt. Thanks again for the replies.

congrats

Glad you had a nice time. You'll be happy with your new 7wt, I know I am!

I fished Erie with 5-weights and finally got a 7-weight this year. No question it is the better choice. You can gain control of the fish quicker and your arm isn't as sore from fighting a single fish. I suspect you'll be back after a successful first time like that. I think I fished Erie at least a dozen times before I caught more than one in a trip. Good job!

Congrats-had to laugh at your saying a reel that handles big browns and smallmouths should be good for steelhead.I have caught considerable numbers of both of the latter two but never came close to getting into backing-they are more sluggers than runners.

Back