Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

First time salmon fishing

From Carbon County
For the past 10 years I say "I'm going this year" every year. Well this year I have the time and the money. I don't know where to start. I'm looking for info on where and when to go, where to stay, etc. I figure we ( me and a buddy) should get a guide at least for the first day? What would you recommend? I have a good idea of what gear I need but after that I'm lost. Looking for something in the middle price wise. Don't wanna drop a few grand on a 5 star lodge but I don't wanna sleep in a roach motel either.
Thanks

Posted on: 8/31 21:02

Re: First time salmon fishing

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Few grand for a Salmon River trip? Lol you do not need a guide for salmon. There is a million of them in the river.

If you are dead set on getting a guide for a day....Use one of our own.

http://www.nyfishguide.com/about.html

Posted on: 8/31 21:49

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

I would hire a guide for the first day. You'll learn where to fish and how to rig you lines. Tell the guide you want shown around to different spots and what to look for. This will get you into fish the rest of you trip and will be money well spent. Just make sure you tell the guide you don't want to fish a one spot all day and catch fish. You'll be stuck fishing that area instead of learning other places to fish. Good luck and you'll have fun.

Posted on: 8/31 22:01

If you are just now starting to think about getting a room in Salmon season you may have a difficult time booking anything close to the river,you might have to book near Syrucuse.
As far as gear you need a 8 wt rod of at least 9 ft,a good reel with a good drag,and lots of flies in many colors.
As far as when,end of Sept. thru Oct. is peak time for Salmon.Steelhead get thick end of Oct thru spring.

Posted on: 8/31 22:59

From Landenberg, PA
what type of salmon & where ?

Posted on: 9/1 2:58

From florida
Kings and Cohos in the Salmon R. in NY. Maybe even a few Landlocked ones. Lots of other streams have salmon as well and a lot closer to DA Burg. GG

Posted on: 9/1 9:50

From PA and NH
I hope you mean sea run Atlantic Salmon, up in Canadia. I know a guy who goes yearly but he books his trip in advance and has to use a guide every day, pm me if that's what you're refering to and I'll put you in touch with him.

Posted on: 9/1 10:11

Look for a guide that is fly friendly (if you are going fly fishing) Pat Miura is one, I'm sure there are others. The fly shops in the area are Malindas in Altmar and Four Seasons right by the Rte 81 exit is good too. I would call them for guide info. A lot of the guides are more bait/pinning oriented, so if you want to fly fish do a little research first. Fishing for tribs run fish is different than trout fishing. They are spawning and not feeding so they lie in different places and hit different flies. Having someone show you the ropes is helpful.

The runs of kings should start very soon and the early ones bite better, especially down at the Douglaston Salmon Run. I generally don't suggest paying to fish there, but early in the season it can be worth it. Kings aka "mud sharks" are controversial. They are huge and fight like crazy, but except for right away when they come in and after they spawn they have sex on the mind and don't strike flies all that well. After they spawn they are smelly fungus laden messes you don't want to hook up with. A lot are "flossed" or foul hooked. That said, tangling with a king is something everyone should try at least once. Some say the Sandys fish better for kings since they don't have large estuaries. The kings can sit in the Salmon R estuary and get stale before they run but in the Sandys they come right in and are silvery a little longer. In late September the cohoes start to show up, and they are a much more fly friendly fish imho. Cohoes seem to be partial to red and black flies.

Then there are steelies, but that is a tale for another day.

Of course this assumes you want to fish the Great Lakes and not Canada for Atlantics or the West for Pacific salmon.

Posted on: 9/1 10:23

From Carbon County
Yes Great Lakes kings and coho and yes on a fly. I'm not too worried about staying right on a river. I figured it's getting a little late for that. I'm not dead set on a guide, I really don't know. Like I said I've never been. I think a guide for a couple hours the first day would be helpful to show us the ropes. Are there any lodges with a guide service that any of you guys have expierence with? Or do you just go for it and find a place to stay wherever you can? I'm thinking salmon river in upstate ny unless I should go somewhere else. Thanks jeffk I'll give the shops a call and Becker I'll give Mike a call, I actually went to high school with him.

Posted on: 9/1 11:51

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Just don't float the Lehigh with him and I. You will almost die.

Posted on: 9/1 12:04

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From PA and NH
The 5 star lodging up on the Salmon river is the way to go. I would tag along with a group of guys before I would ever hire a guide for that style of fishing, save your money for gear.

Posted on: 9/1 12:14

From Carbon County
Ok any lodges in particular? You can PM me if you want. I would tag along with a group but I would have to be invited first.

Posted on: 9/1 12:42

From PA and NH
Sorry, I was kidding with the 5 star lodging. It's a pretty depressed area in and around Pulaski so any place I have stayed has been clean but no frills. I have only been a handful of times due to the crowded fishing conditions which don't suit me but it'is something to experience firsthand. I would think there are regulars on this board that will chime in at some point after they get back in from their labor day fishing and give you better and more details. Have fun and don't forget your sidearm and a spare fly line for when someone cuts yours. Just kidding about the sidearm.

Posted on: 9/1 13:44

From Landenberg, PA
Quote:

blueheron wrote:
Sorry, I was kidding with the 5 star lodging. It's a pretty depressed area in and around Pulaski so any place I have stayed has been clean but no frills. .

that Tailwater Lodge is pretty high end - gourmet food etc.

Posted on: 9/1 14:35

Most Salmon R places are dumps, but don't cost too much. The traditional high end place is the 1880 House in Pulaski with a B&B vibe. Good in cold weather because they keep soup going. Not as important for salmon season. Good luck getting a reservation in prime time though. The Tailwater Inn is the brand new high end place in Altmar. Never been there so can't comment, but they closed off one of my favorite sections of river. Private water is spreading in NYS.

Choices are generally dumpy hotels or bunkhouse sort of joints. Of the latter I like Fox Hollow and Salmon Heaven in Altmar. You share a bathroom, but at least these are clean and have OK public areas. Driftboat Inn is OK.

Generally you book a guide and meet them somewhere. Plenty of driftboat guys, but most are not that great so do your homework.

Posted on: 9/2 10:25

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com