First fish

AKguy

AKguy

Went to meadow run in Fayette Co yesterday and caught my first trout in the lower 48. Sweet. My 9' 6wt was a little extreme for the place but its all I have. I need a 3 wt again.

It seems like every year at the beginning of the season I forget that you should look up before you cast. I would see some water and think, "that looks fishy!" and would just roll one out there without looking around. You guys know what I'm talking about. Needless to say I spent the first hour in the trees.

I caught 5 bows and what looked like a tiger. Is there tigers in meadow run? Sure didn't look like a brown. I was there for 5hrs. Three were on an orange peach egg and three on a olive BH flash Bugger. Hopefully I attached the pictures correctly. Took a picture of some bug. Its a poor picture. Feel free to let us know what the thing is if you can? I have no idea what any of the bugs are. I have fly fished for 7 years and never payed attention to bugs on the Kenai River. Those trout want eggs, flesh and streamers.

All in all a very fun day

Attachments

• meadow runbow.jpg
    meadow runbow.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 2
  • random bug.jpg
    random bug.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 1
  • meadow run and reel.jpg
    meadow run and reel.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 1
  • md.jpg
    md.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 1
  • md2.jpg
    md2.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 1
Congratulations AK. I don't see any pictures, so you may have to try that again, there is a tutorial stickied in the General forum here link.

The fresh stocked fish take eggs very well. This should help your transition from alaska.

Great to hear. Congrats. I'm not sure if tigers are in Meadow Run but as a pretty consistent rule, they aren't stocked by the state. Tigers in PA are (I think) only stocked by private clubs or individuals. There are some wild born tigers, usually very small, in creeks with brook and brown trout but they are pretty rare. I've never caught a wild tiger in over 3 decades of fishing wild trout streams in this state. Did yuh get a pic of the mystery fish?

I have been looking at a bunch of different pictures and it looks like it was a brown. Now i wish i had gotten a picture. First brown ever

Congrats dude! I'm sure there is many more to come!

Pretty sream:) Congrats on a fine day astream:)

Cool- that did'nt take too long.

Nice...something you hopefully will never forget. My first wild brown was in the plunge pool below Pretty Boy Dam on the Gunpowder River in Maryland. Took a size 8 olive bead head wooly bugger the day after Christmas.

Well done! Sounds like a heck of a first day in the L48. Don't give away your eggs & flesh patterns. They have a time and a place around here. So does your 6wt.

I did some work in SW pa two summers ago and caught a tiger trout in Meadow, my buddy caught another one a little later in the day, he also managed to land a two foot brownie just minutes after that..... pretty good day!!

Beaver Creek, a mostly private water tributary to Meadow, is stocked from non-PFBC hatcheries and the club/landowner always puts some tigers in. They wash down into Meadow. I have also caught tigers in Dunbar Creek. Not sure if those were PFBC plants or if there are private clubs that dump fish there.

Back