First Stocked/Wild Thread of 2018 (I Think)

Swattie87

Swattie87

True tweener in my mind from yesterday. Weak, if any eye spot. Though not really visible there was a small amount of red in the adipose. General shape and coloration indicates wild. Fins could go either way.

Context Clues...Small forested freestone that has wild Browns and Brooks and is stocked with Browns and Brooks. Other fish caught were one emaciated, obvious holdover stocker Brown, and maybe half a dozen obvious wild Brooks.

Attachments

• 02-10-18 (11) - PAFF.jpg
    02-10-18 (11) - PAFF.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 6
Wildly wild!

OK, that may be overstating. :)

All this wild or stocked confusion would go away if we only stocked rainbows, preferably triploid hybrids that cannot reproduce. Eggs are readily available commercially or could be produced by the PFBC. A bonus would be that they grow faster than fertile fish which would possibly pay for most or any of the increased cost that might be incurred.

I don't think Triploid rainbows are the answer, especially if they are stocked over native/wild trout.

Like you said they grow faster which means the will most likely outcompete native/wild fish. I could be totally wrong but the way I look at it is you are introducing a fish that will have a decent impact on the food supply and also will be a predator of YOY wild/native fish.

I certainly agree that not stocking over wild fish is the ultimate answer. But that just doesn’t seem very likely to happen for a long time, if ever. In the meantime, if there is going to be any stocking in brook trout streams or where hatchery fish could move into these streams, stocking triploid hybrid rainbows would be preferable. It would also eliminate the gill lice problem that seems to keep cropping up in our brook trout streams thanks to co-op brookies bringing them in.

Was the bottom half of the tail stubby/worn or is it just blending in with your coat?

To me the spots and coloration definitely look wild but man those couple fins on the belly look stubby.

The tail wasn't obviously deformed or anything, just blending in with the coat. That being said, I don't particularly recall how sharp its edges were, beyond what you can see in the picture anyway.

Agree on the other fins. They were translucent, which suggests wild, but a bit small and stubby on the other hand as you note.

Ugly wild

Who cares? Did you have a nice time and enjoy catching it? That's the important thing.

When he caught it, it was up on top of the bar dancing to Motley Crue in short-shorts, so yeah, it was wild.

krayfish2 wrote:
Who cares? Did you have a nice time and enjoy catching it? That's the important thing.

No. It wasn't a Gemmie. And I burned the snot out of my hand on my stove heating up my pepperoni bread for lunch.

Back