Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

First Montana Update

From Central Maryland
Hey guys,

So my laptop crapped out basically right when I landed in Montana, but I wanted to get an update in for anyone interested. I'm at work on their computer so I can't use or see any pictures, but I'm gonna give something a shot here and hope it works.

So after the Zac Brown Band concert and staying up all night Saturday, I left my house around 5 a.m. and landed in MT around 1 o'clock local time. Took a shuttle to the resort and checked in to my housing for the summer. I'm at about 8,000 ft with a view of the mountains, so I can't complain there even if the room isn't the nicest. I wanted to go fishing, but laid down on the bed to close my eyes for a second, and it was dark out when I woke up.

Next day I did paperwork and training, got off early and hit the water. My roommate was going down into town, so he dropped me off at the Gallatin about 20 minutes down the mountain. It was windy as hell, and my five weight was getting tosed around pretty good.

Resized Image

I tried to wade at first but the runoff is still going pretty good with high flows, and after two steps and almost falling in, I climbed back out and worked my way downstream trying to find some shelter from the wind and fast water. Eventually the stream forked over a big gravel sand bar with a big undercut bank on my side that blocked the wind and slowed the current.

Resized Image

Right away I was back on water I'm familiar with because this stretch looked and fished like home. I flipped a couple rocks, tied on two nymphs, and started casting. The wind was still putting me in the bank everyone once and a while, but after a few snags on rocks, I hooked into my first fish ever in Montana. a nice fat healthy rainbow. My first wild rainbow ever.

Resized Image

The fish was hard to bring in and spooked the pool so I went further downstream and found some beaver ponds on a trib coming in. I watched a dozen hungry rainbows smack my flies with their nose andturn around terrified. Switched flies a couple times and caught an ~12 inch rainbow that took a couple great jups through the pond, and I couldn't buy a strike after that. The wind was picking up, and I was getting hungry, so I hiked my way out to the road and hitch hiked back up the mountain to go to the bar and hang out before sleep and work.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 12:11

Re: First Montana Update

From Central Maryland
Here are the imgur links incase I messed up above, because I can't tell the difference.

imgur.com/KoiswJS

imgur.com/EXTwbn5

imgur.com/LIcjZom

Posted on: 2013/6/27 12:18

From Chester County
Awesome dude! The best thing is them rainbows aren't stockers. Keep us updated!

Posted on: 2013/6/27 12:57

From Dauphin PA
I hate you.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 13:06

From Southwestern NY
that's awesome man!!! hope your summer is mind blowing!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2013/6/27 13:32

From Tyrone
Sounds like your summer is off to a real start. Have a good time.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 14:19

From Ohio
Sounds awesome, I am so jealous. I wanted to fish the Gallatin, but I never made it when I was in Yellowstone last summer.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 18:53

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Thanks for the update. You'll have a GREAT summer out there, especially once the flows die down a bit. Keep us updated, and I think you'll surpass that Spring Creek brownie in no time.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 21:23

Webmaster
Hi Pontus,

Thanks for the update and have a great time. If you can email directly our the url I can see about fixing the the photos.

Dave

Posted on: 2013/6/28 7:20

From LV
Thanks for the update. The pics didn't load.

Posted on: 2013/6/29 9:56

Nice. The Gallatin is one of my favorite rivers. And wild rainbows are a completely different fish than stockies.

Posted on: 2013/6/29 10:58

From Central Maryland
I don't have any new pictures for you guys, but I figured I'd throw in an update after my days off. I met some guides at a fly shop event down by the river on Saturday evening. Got to talking with all of them, and ended up floating the Yellowstone Sunday with 2 of them on their day off. Then yesterday I took the bus down to the river around 5:30 and fished til about 8:30. Caught 6 rainbows in that time, so I'm pretty satisfied there. Finally got my fly tying stuff shipped out here. It might be time to take the plunge and buy the hackle that I've been avoiding buying.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 11:36

From Eastern PA
To link imgur photos you will see a blue link that says "Get embeded codes" below the twitter, facebook, etc button. Click on that and a box pops up. Right click on Direct Link (email & IM) and copy. Then come here to PAFF and click on the photos button and paste the link.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/7/3 12:54

From Central Maryland
Ok thanks. I'm uploading the photos to imgur from my phone and then typing in the links here because all image and filesharing sites are blocked on the work computer, but I'll try to make it work next time. The drift trip was fast paced with guides that are sick of taking pictures of every fish their clients catch, so I just netted and released them real quick. Then the flows on the Gallatin are still high and pretty dangerous, so I don't want to take my phone out when I'm standing in the water. I'll start taking more pictures when the wading gets easier later in the summer. I want one of those waterproof cameras, but I'd rather spend that money on gear at this point.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 13:00

From chester ct
Pontus - didn't pick up on this till now - spent the last 10 days on the Gallatin, Jellystone and most especially the Upper Madison. The last was the best ffishing I've had there in almost 40 years of doing the stretch from Slide Inn down to West Fork, both in numbers and size. I also caught up with JayL who's now in Bozeman along with Matt from Walnutport. They live on the Gallatin pretty near Storm Castle. Friday I got a trout grand slam on the G around Mile 49. PPL has been pumping up the volume at Hebgen every day, but when flows at Kirby were 1000 or so, the dry fly fishing was fabulous.

tl
les

Posted on: 2013/7/14 10:21

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com