Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: First Montana Update

From Hagerstown, MD
Keep the updates coming Pontus. The American West is unbelievable in both beauty and fly fishing opportunity!!!

Posted on: 2013/7/14 15:26

From North Wales, PA
Awesome info! I'm hoping to get to Yellowstone National Park next year.

Chris

Posted on: 2013/7/14 16:02

From Ohio
Just go, make it happen. Yellowstone is an amazing place. Make sure you devote a day to seeing the sights too.

Posted on: 2013/7/14 19:52

From Central Maryland
Quote:

lestrout said:

Pontus - didn't pick up on this till now - spent the last 10 days on the Gallatin, Jellystone and most especially the Upper Madison. The last was the best ffishing I've had there in almost 40 years of doing the stretch from Slide Inn down to West Fork, both in numbers and size. I also caught up with JayL who's now in Bozeman along with Matt from Walnutport. They live on the Gallatin pretty near Storm Castle. Friday I got a trout grand slam on the G around Mile 49. PPL has been pumping up the volume at Hebgen every day, but when flows at Kirby were 1000 or so, the dry fly fishing was fabulous.

I never got to meet JayL in person, but I do remember him posting frequently when I first started reading the board.

I almost got my first grand slam on Monday, but couldn't find a Brookie. Still haven't caught one since I've gotten out here. I have to get further upstream and into some mountains I guess. I've been fishing 3-4 days a week every week, so stories and pictures to come soon. Also have a fishing trip into Yellowstone in the works as well as another float trip when a guy I met buys his new boat.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 18:06

From chester ct
Pont - the Yellowstone River opens for the native cutthroats on July 15, and I hear they are doing a bit better since the lake trouts disaster in the lake. But this time of year, they are snaky and spawned out. They are much better later in the summer and fall. But the brown caddis about now is unbelievably dense.

On the other hand, the Firehole and Madison in the Park are way warm (80º) and not very ffishable except maybe early in the morning. The disappointing surprise for me was the Gibbon is just as warm - the 3.9 earthquake this spring, or other seismic events, must have shifted the hot springs the way the Firehole got messed up in the 70s.

But there are scads of little lesser known (and smaller) streams all over the park that are troutable.

tl
les

Posted on: 2013/7/21 22:16

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com