Finding a Guide

C

calgal

Hello all you PA fly fisherman. My husband I & are going to return to the places of my childhood this fall...Pittsburg to Erie.
We would like to add a few days of guided fishing. What might we expect? When does the season close? How do we find a great guide? Any recommendations? We can drive a little to reach a great river/stream. Since we are from the West we definitely want to use a guide because I am sure there will be a lot of differences from where & how we fish. Thank you in advance for all your help. CalGal

calgal- You must have been away for awhile since you miss spelled Pittsburgh.- just ribbing you...

Not sure when you coming but if it was Oct. and Nov. and your gonna be in Erie I would highly recommend trying Steelhead fishing in the Erie tribs. There are at least a half dozen great streams that get these runs. Not sure what type of fishing your into but that is what I can recommend. If you do decide to do this you will not be alone as it gets pretty crowded.

I have never used a guide so can't really give to much insite on that front but here is a guy who has written a book on Steelheading that I own.

http://groups.msn.com/johnnagysteelheadguide/2006fallsteelheadreportandnews.msnw

Good luck and welcome home!

Thanks for the info. I can't spell and I can't type. Any type of fishing would be OK...trout, small mouths, steelhead. We are planning in coming in October if that helps. In Nov we will be steelhead fishing in No Cal. The steelies on this particular river are on the small size, averaging 5 - 10lbs. Not the monsters of the northwest. What is steelhead fishing like up your way? What method/technique do you use on them? Still looking for a guide recommendation. Thanks!

There is an outfit in the Southwest that guides on the Youghiogheny River which posts reports in the professional Stream Reports below, they go by the name Laurel Highlands Outfitters. In Oil City area, there is Oil Creek Outfitters that guides. Also in the southwest, Contented Angler. I've never used any of them. There may be many others to try. Good Luck and welcome to the forum.

acristickid wrote:
calgal- You must have been away for awhile since you miss spelled Pittsburgh.- just ribbing you...

I have never used a guide so can't really give to much insite on that front

That would be insight :)

And I can't believe you didn't recommend www.fisherie.com There are professional guides who post there, so I imagine you could check out links to their sites and find one that offers the trips you want.

I recommend taking a float on the Youghiogheny below the trout section, for smallmouth bass, with Scott Loughner. He's a good guide.

Scott Loughner

266 Mars Hill RoadPo Box 72

Rillton, PA 15678

724-446-2061

There's a lot to do in the area around Ohiopyle. You could do the trip with Scott. You do a whitewater rafting run in the heavy water downstream from Ohiopyle. Or rent a "duckie" and run the moderate whitewater from Confluence to Ohiopyle, about a 9 mile run. And you can fish along the way.

You can also visit Fallingwater, if you're into architecture. And there's a couple beautiful waterfalls to check out.

Lots of good stuff. In my view, steelheading at Erie is a mob scene, a zoo. You can catch lots of big fish, but that's about the only thing going for it. Except for the views of Lake Erie, which is beautiful. You might enjoy a charter boat trip out on Lake Erie.

A good guide for steelhead is John Nagy. Google "John Nagy steelhead" and you'll find contact info. If you decide on steelhead, you might check with John about fishing the Cattaragaus River in NY, which is just up the coast a ways, in NY, still a Lake Erie trib. It's a much larger stream than the PA tribs, so you can find room to fish without so much crowding.

The "regular" trout fishing in western PA is not particularly good. I'm not saying that to be mean spirited. That's just the way it is. There are geological and historical reasons why this is so.

There is good smallmouth fishing in western PA, though.

Have fun whateer you decide.

I was just teeing it up for you guys.

Always the ginnie when your the first couple of posters!

calgal,
I'll second the recommendation to fish the area around Ohiopyle. In addition to architechture, there's French Indian War sites nearby, and good camping and hiking as well as river kayaking. The scenery in Oct is beautiful. I'm not sure how long it's been since you have been home but much of the area around Pittsburgh is cleaner these days. The "Yough" (near Ohiopyle) is big water if you like that - there are some small creeks nearby like Meadow Run. Western Maryland has some even better trout fishing. I'm not sure how long a drive it is from P-burgh, I'd guess about two-three hours, but you might consider a few days in central PA. Make State College or Spruce Creek a central location. If you're primarily interested in trout fishing this might be the best choice - this is the best part of the state for trout. You mention bass fishing. I can't recommend any guides but I am sure there are some that can take you on a float trip of the Allegheny River. This might be more reminiscent of "home" and has some great bass fishing these days. Good luck.

I think the steelhead and large water trout angling will be a poor substitute for what you have in Northern California.

I would hit some of the smaller water in the allegheny tribs, enjoy the color of a the leaves (unique compared to California) and catch some native brook trout (unique compared to California).
Some browns should be making there way up the smaller tribs and both browns and brookies will have good color this time of year. Bring your short 3-4wt and have some fun.

But thats just me.....

Or head east and hit the more crowded limestoners....

I don't have any reccomendations for a guide as I don't use one locally.

Perhaps contact Neshannock Creek Fly shop for a reccomendation.

BTW, my wife and I did about the exact opposite of what you're doing. We went to the Upper Sac and McCloud for a few days. INCREDIBLE!

calgal- here is John Nagy's contact info if your so inclined.

For available dates and further information contact John Nagy at (412) 531-5819 or steelheadguide@hotmail.com

I am with other guys on central Pa limestone streams as a great choice. If those are too far- the Yough is a good closer option.

Good luck--

Back