Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Finally caught him

Very nice fish. I'm glad that you did something to keep the body temperature up while the trout was out of the water.

The most important thing is that their gills not freeze. Definitely something to keep in mind in subzero weather.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 13:15

From SW PA
Well done Mike. Good for you, that's a heck of a nice fish!

Posted on: 2013/2/25 16:19

From North East PA
Great story and photos!

Posted on: 2013/2/25 16:40

"Hey, Wait, that rock is moving" - Pat D, Newbie Jam, 3/16/13

From Harrisburg
No doubt thats a top notch holdover that spawned as well.
Nice.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 5:44

From Portage, PA
Squaretail, do you say it spawned because of its worn tail?

I have caught a few browns in this stream around 5 or 6 inches that i thought were fingerlings that didn't grow well because of competition from the other stockies, You think these could be wild browns instead.

When i saw its tail the thought crossed my mind, but i am always on the nay-saying side when it comes to wild fish, and find myself think of them as stockies.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 7:59

From Clearville Pa
did u put fish in the stream that were 5-6" long

Posted on: 2013/2/26 8:44

Quote:

mike_richardson wrote:
Squaretail, do you say it spawned because of its worn tail?

I have caught a few browns in this stream around 5 or 6 inches that i thought were fingerlings that didn't grow well because of competition from the other stockies, You think these could be wild browns instead.

When i saw its tail the thought crossed my mind, but i am always on the nay-saying side when it comes to wild fish, and find myself think of them as stockies.

Is anyone stocking fingerlings? Didn't you say that your club is the only one stocking the stream?

If no one is stocking fingerlings, and you are catching 5-6 inch browns, then the stream has some wild brown trout reproduction.

That's not surprising. In most streams where hatchery trout can survive year around, there will be wild trout. There are a few exceptions, but not many, and those are mainly big river tailwaters.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 8:44

From Portage, PA
We had put in small browns but that was a while ago, because they simply would not eat, and get up to the size that the put and take crowd need. I am glad to see these guys making it and now reproducing. Gives me more reason to help out with conserving the stream.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 9:15

I'm just curious, is there a mine discharge upstream from where you fish the stream that keeps a steady supply of cold water flowing in?

That is the case with some streams in some other coal mining districts. In these places there are mine discharges that provide a steady baseflow of cold water, and luckily the pH, and metals content, is not too bad, so the mine discharge actually helps maintain the trout fishery.

If it is the case that mine discharge is sustaining the trout fishery, it's good for all involved to know it. Any plans to change the mine water systems should take that into account.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 9:39

From Portage, PA
There is not mine drainage into this part of the stream. Where i caught this fish the lower end of a class A stream supplies a steady flow of water that I doubt ever exceeds 60 degress. The trouble in the summer comes from the section of stream I am looking to improve that has not a lot of cover warms up substantially.

Great point though. The AMD that effects this stream is down stream and the ph is terrible. I get what you are saying that in some cases, if the ph is not that bad it would be like having a spring of constant 54 degree ground water.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 10:06

From South Fayette Twp.
Fantastic post, well told. Thanks for sharing.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 17:11

From MidAtlantic
Excellent post, great catch, great read, and photos.

That brown looks nice and healthy to me. It does not have the big black head and thin body I have seen on some very old trout that are in decline. It was winter so you probably did not stress it too much.

Hopefully you will dance the dance again.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 19:05

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com