Finally Crossed the 20" mark

drumat26

drumat26

I finally caught one. I felt like a little kid on Christmas. I've been fishing for years. I caught it at stony in the fly section that is run by the guy who owns the property. I dont know if thats cheating or not but it felt awesome to me. Just wish i had a buddy with to take my picture with the fish.

Attachments

• 4563.jpg
    4563.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 4565.jpg
    4565.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 3
Nice fish!

Nice fish, good job. Only next time try to keep your fish in the water and not ondry land. It is better for the fish. But congrats.

GenCon

Nice fish, good job. Only next time try to keep your fish in the water and not ondry land. It is better for the fish. But congrats.

GenCon

Ditto. I think this is a good time to bring up a cheap & easy way to get your money shots and that is simply bring a plastic bag with you. You can keep it in your vest or pants pocket and when you want to take a side shot of a nice fish, just lay it down on top of the bag. It will protect the fish and you get a good side view of the fish. A small, black garbage bag will do - maybe 36" x 24". Bigger for you pike & musky chasers. After your done fishing you can used the bag to put stream side garbage in as well. Its a win-win for everybody if we all try this.

The next easiest way is support the head in the shallow water. See below.

0261024x768_zps4f21dd2a.jpg

GenCon wrote:

GenCon
Please! Enough of this already. Yes a fish should be handled properly, but a short time out of the water isn't so bad that it's going to kill the fish. I see guys complaining all the time about handling fish even on stocked water, it doesn't matter PFBC will make more.
For the record I usually keep fish in the water when taking a pic, but if not, it's in my hand or in the net and out of the water for seconds.

20!? That is easily 31! Good job and congrats.

nice fish.

well done. i'm sure the memory will last longer than a photo.

Drumat nice fish and I don't consider it cheating. Those fish see everything and at times are harder than any other trout. Me novinger is a nice guy and its fortunate he lets people on his property. Next time ya come up let me know I live less than a mile from there. I don't spend much time fishing there but enjoy seeing others catch those hawgs.

Chaz wrote:
GenCon wrote:

GenCon
Please! Enough of this already. Yes a fish should be handled properly, but a short time out of the water isn't so bad that it's going to kill the fish. I see guys complaining all the time about handling fish even on stocked water, it doesn't matter PFBC will make more.
For the record I usually keep fish in the water when taking a pic, but if not, it's in my hand or in the net and out of the water for seconds.

Thank you Chaz... I wasn't gonna say anything but, it's just nut's. I've been catch'n fish since I was 4 years old and take'n um out of the water for 30 seconds or so is not going to harm them. Yes, I keep um in the water as much as possible but there have been times when there is the dreaded "wrist" shot or pic off of the ground like the one here in the thread. Pike n Muskies. Minutes aren't going to hurt um. Catfish, I've thrown them out in the back yard in a sack and had them still flop'n round the next day. Yes I know their not trout. You's act like touching a trout is the same as a butterflies wings. Take your pics guys. Get um back in the water asap. Now if the air n water temps are boarder line hot or cold use your head. Ya had to say something didn't ya Chaz... There's tree hug'n and then there's foolishness.

Thanks all. I caught it on a wired stonefly nymph. I made sure the fish was plenty strong and was moving well before i let him go. If i would have had someone with me the fish would but have been laid on the bank. I'll try to keep them all in the water from now on. Except for the pics. I'll probably lift them out of the net still thanks for all the input

drumat26 wrote:
Thanks all. I caught it on a wired stonefly nymph.

i love those flies...

as to the fish handling - wet grass or moss is better than stones. i try to look for a patch when i hook a fish.

i think it is okay to handle trout with wet hands, but i try not to if i can help it.

Drumat, if I insulted you. I apologize. It was not my intention. I was just making a point. I see people do bad things to fish all the time and have for many years. I had know idea what your skill level was.
I see I was wrong on my assessment and should have kept my mouth shut.

My apologies,

GenCon

GenCon, no offense taken. I always am welcoming tips. I knew i had to release the fish. So my intentions were not to hurt it. Im still trying to learn and advance myself as a fly fisherman so I'm always welcoming tips of any kind. I want to be able to release more like that in the future so i appreciate the tips. Thanks again!!!

Nice fish. Congrats on your achievement

Beauutiful fish. Congrats.

Yes I know their not trout. You's act like touching a trout is the same as a butterflies wings.

Their protective coating is pretty thin. Maybe not as thin as the scales on a butterfly wing but thin nonetheless. Remove it and you expose trout to all sorts of bacteria and fungus. Most know this, some may not. Just trying to help those who may not.

Back