Filming fly fishing

Troutbum82

Troutbum82

I have been filming fly fishing for the better part of this year both cold and warm water. I have been doing the vast majority of it by myself which is a very complicated task. I am planning on starting a you tube account this winter when everything freezes up. Basically the videos are bits and pieces of fishing trips cut up and overlayed with music. My question is would anyone be interested in helping both being filmed and filming. I live in clarion county but i fish alot in venango county and alot of other places in north west pa i also plan on doing some steelhead fishing here soon. My days off are on mondays and tuesdays if anyone is interested get ahold of me

Sounds like fun,
Want to film something like the pict I posted. (Lost all my nice trout picts when my computer crashed a month ago.) I guess the only concern I have is keeping some of the locations under hat.

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    665.7 KB · Views: 4
Nice i have probably spent half my life on redbank fly fishing for smallies. I understand the importance of secrecy im not going to post any of that stuff on the videos. So thats not an issue

I would absolutely be interested if I lived closer. Not only do I enjoy shooting and setting up shots but a friend of mine just recently dropped some cash on hardware and software for shooting video. I am trying to convince him to come up for the jam to shoot some video of techniques.

Me and some of my friends carried video cams this year fishing for musky. We managed to get 3 musky on film and 1 pike. I've bin putting it all together and its about 25 min long so far. It's a cool to have something besides a pic to remeber a fish by.

Yea that would be great if you lived closer especially since you have experience. There is so much i want to do but i cant ever get any reliable help. Hopefully this site helps me out.

Trust me it's not patagonia fly fish tour caliber film. Theres more swearing in it that a Samuel L. Jackson movie.

I am not to concerned about French creek as most know its a good smallie stream...It is a blast in late may. There are some nice ones in there too. When summer weather hits sucess goes down a little but if ya know how to fish it in the summer it can be fun as well. After two years of fishing in French I finally found what works when it's hot out....The smallies want flys rolling on the bottom of the stream.

It sounds like you already have a video camera, but look into the GoPro cameras as well...they are small, cheap and mountable. You can attach them just about anywhere you could think of putting a camera. They do video and also time-lapse. It would get you lots of different perspectives that even someone standing on the bank wouldn't be able to get. It would also be a great option if you went by yourself and didn't have anyone else to help you.

I also do like to take videos while out fishing, but usually I only film me releasing fish. One day brookie fishing I brought a tripod with me and tried to film me fishing every hole, but that eventually became a hassle having to move and reset the camera and tripod at every pool. I did get some fish on film, but lots or holes I filmed with no fish or I spooked them.

Tim,
My guiding partner might be interested in hooking up with you. We shoot some pretty basic videos and would love to have a dedicated guy along sometimes.

Just started experimenting shooting video about a month or so ago. Picked up this neat little camera called the Lid Cam it mounts right to the bill of your hat. Its really great for filming on your own and I can't believe how well the footage is with this thing. Seems like its always a problem to get someone to come along so I've been giving it try byself and as you said its a complicated task. I would interested in getting together with you to shoot some video and hopefully pick up some pointers. Trying to set some video's up for my website. Whats the chances of you coming to the Central part of the state to fish and shoot some video on (Little J or Spring Cr) I can do a Monday or Tuesday. But then I would be willing to come up there too plus it would give me a chance to fish some different water. Sorry I don't do warm water and nothing against warm water fishing, but I am just a trout guy.

Guys,

Dave Weaver and I had talked about shooting some videos this past spring, but could never make the time. I have found that there is no short supply of good video cameras now and editing is pretty easy too.

One of the more difficult aspects of all this is audio. If you are just shooting scenes and then dubbing in a music track, no problems. If you are looking for voice over that is pretty easy too. On scene audio takes some more effort. Wind, distance to the mic, and mic quality can really be a challenge on the stream.

I am determined myself on getting this started again this next year. I hope. Looking to start some more stream tours and location based info type of video.

If you guys get some vids completed by all means PM and let me know. Would love to see what you have completed. I realize it is not an easy task to get some of these together and would love to share.

Again please let me know what you have created. I love Pulp Fiction so any Samuel L Jackson routines would be fun. He is a BMF!

Me and the guys have hit a epic dry spell as far as the musky go. Were lookin to get acouple of more fish on cam. I did have a a beast of a musky on 2 weeks ago my biggest yet. But it got a sore jaw and i got a bruised ego. It woulda made a good ending to the musky vid.

I have a Go-Pro cam and I can't recommend them unless you have all the software to eliminate "fish eye" effect and want to edit the sound. It is a good concept but if you want to edit the footage in HD you better have a MAC.

Wow i got a bigger response than i thought on that. Ill have alot of video on youtube this winter probably late january when everything freezes over. I have about 20 videos chopped and edited already alot of venango county streams. It should be under the name wpff media. Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. Hopefully i get a chance to fish with some of you.

Back