Few tricos Fewer rising trout

L

LouM

My theory; no prolonged hot spell this summer and too many high water events are the cause. The small amount of hatches and not enough bugs to get the trout keyed in on them

I have made numerous trips to the LLH, saucon and monocacy all are the same few bugs few or no rising trout.

I'm with ya Lou. The cold spring and repeated high flows has made this season a bust for my hatch chasing as well.

Have not seen heavy mayfly hatches really. A few evenings with sulfurs were decent but tricos were not abundant in my neck of woods so far. Caddis are thankfully reliable and now a bit of ant action. Weird year.

Has been a tough year for top water for me; thank goodness for ants and beetles.

The trouts seem to have forgotten how to rise. Maybe the delayed spring and hatches have something to do with it?

I haven't been out for tricos yet this year.
But in past seasons, I always seemed to have better trico fishing during hot dry summers. Not sure if it was because of lower stream levels, or more bright sunny days. Or maybe a combination of both

lestrout wrote:
The trouts seem to have forgotten how to rise. Maybe the delayed spring and hatches have something to do with it?
Agreed. I still have not had a stellar day of just dry fishing, even on small brookie streams. I find that I have to tie a dropper on just to start getting some action.

I dunno, haven't looked for any tricos yet this year, so I can't say much about that. But the local-ish brookies have been cooperative all summer and I picked up about a dozen or so wild browns on a CDC caddis in about two hours on the Breeches the other afternoon. Guess it depends on where you're fishin'...

Couldnt be a better time to practice your nymphing Les

The drakes were excellent up north, but around the LV not so good. Many of the streams I fish I'm not looking for the hatches, but on the streams I'm looking for hatches I haven't been seeing much and the tricos seem to be hardest hit.
It all goes in cycles, I don't think there's been high enough water to completely whack the hatches, but I do think that the combination of high flows and long cold winter has impacted the hatches in a negative way.

I agree, it's been a weird year. I haven't seen the clouds of dancing tricos I've witnessed in the past. Maybe I need to be on the Tully at 4 am with night vision glasses. I do see some spent duns on the water. Some guys have had limited success on a sunken trico pattern. Use a small black plastic bead to break the surface.

I don't think it's just a local issue. When we were in Montana one week ago same thing no rising fish even though there was some bug activity. I almost think we disappointed our guide when we opted to nymph.

Back