Felt Sole Replacement?

CLSports

CLSports

I lost both of my felt soles on my Orvis Henry's Fork wading boots this past weekend. I am looking for replacement soles since the boots are still in great shape. I have used the Hodgman replacement soles before on another pair of boots and they worked OK after I scraped all of the old glue off, but I wanted to see if maybe there was anything better out there, or any new type of material that is replacing felt to stop the "hitchhikers"

Orvis said they have a replacement kit available, but I am not sure if it is any better than the rest. Any help would be appreciated.

Rob

Don't know if there is a better replacement for the felt but would suggest getting the felt replacements with studs. Never tried them but understand they are better than felt alone. Have used chains that slip on your boots when I used rubber hip boots and they did work.

How old are your Henry's Fork Boots? I have a pair that are about 12 months old and the felt is peeling away. Additionally, the mesh sides are torrn out and I've gone through 4 pairs of laces. I'm sending mine back to Orvis this week and will be purchasing a different pair. I love the fit and comfort of the Henry's Fork Boots but the durability is unacceptable. I don't think that I should have to buy a new pair of boots every season.

CLS,

Here's a link to this topic discussed earlier this year:Replacing Felt Soles? Hope it helps.

JH

Flyfishermanj;
Thanks for the link to the old post. That was helpful.

My Henry's Fork boots are about 2 years old. Besides the felt soles coming off, they are still in great shape. I use them quite often and they are very comfortable.

I bought a pair of Simms boots as a backup because I knew this would happen eventually. The Simms boots have a stitching through the felt. I am not sure if this will make a difference in the durability.

I had a pair of Orvis boots that the felt fell off after less then 1 season. I returned them to Orvis and promtly was sent a new pair.
Bill

I've resoled wading boots several times with nice results.
One little thing I learned - applying heat makes removing the old sole easier.

Also, you can get aqua tred resoles - I think I got mine from Bean

My first pair of boots had stitching through the felt. Made no difference, the felt eventually falls off. As the felt wears the stitching wears also. IMO they stitch the felt on to keep it in place until the glue cures.

In the past when I've replaced felts on non studded boots I've added roofing nails to the felt prior to the gluing process.

Take a handful of galvanized roofing nails (14 per boot) and cut them off at about the thichness of the felt. Then take a full nal or a large framing nail, with a piece of wood as a backboard and make some pilot holes for the cut-off roofers. Then place them in from the "glueside". Then use your barge cement or equal to glue the sole to boot. I like to use duct tape in 1/2" inch strips to secuer every inch of perimeter of the sole.

They not only provide more secure footing but as well the wear will be extended.

Just a thought.

Maurice

I need to replace mine was light ice skating without them on

Back