Favorite Steelhead/Brown Fall/Winter Fly

jwatts

jwatts

Just wonderin whats everyone favorite fly to use for steelies and brown in the fall winter months?? Winter's a great time to tie..

Probably my most successful fly is a simple Estaz egg.

However, I prefer to tie and fish traditional wets and soft hackles.

Egg patterns.. Throw in few Stoneflie and some bead head caddis...

Eggs,eggs, and eggs. GG

Last year I caught more Steel on the Prince Nymph than eggs patterns. Low and clear conditions mahe it tuff and small flies worked best for me.

Chartreuse sucker spawn, and blue (with and without red dots) glo bugs have been dynamite for myself this year. Also, I like black woolybuggers, as well as prince nymphs.

In the spring when you start to see the Black Stoneflies on the snow a #16 Black Stonefly tied long and skinny...

Salmon river glo bugs estaz eggs (cough trout beads) stone flies for winter. Erie is just the other way around for me pheasant tails caddis first small eggs second. Plus Erie steelhead love pink. And ok ill admit it a dead drifted berkley pink power work is friggin deadly im sorry guys I like to catch fish.I know its not right but its so productive.

huevos

That's "juevos"

Still made me laugh though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juevos

Redirects to HUEVOS :)

I stand corrected! Apparently, both are acceptable!

Como se dice "jackass"?

So it seems eggs are the best bet for the steelies and browns. Ill have to start tying up a bunch. Thanks again everyone

size 10 rainbow prince nymphs and small pheasent tails and weenies of course they always work

Back