Favorite Pattern for Fresh Stocked Trout

Stenonema

Stenonema

I prefer to fish for wild trout. However I also enjoy catching stocked trout as well. Stocked trout especially freshly stocked trout are a different challenge. The first time I fished with DaveR a palomino (Banana) refused the best drift with a BHPT, then smashed a bright hot pink ultra chenille worm on the next cast.
What is your favorite pattern for that period of time when a stocked trout doesn't know the difference between a stonefly and a ducks butt?

For these conditions, I like bright colored egg flies or a white marabou streamer with lots of gold or silver crystal flash (keep these streamers short as fresh stockies seem to short strike even more so than wild trout).

A # 14 stone, yes as in pebble. :)
When all else fails my pellet fly.

I usually start with a PT but for stockies, I would go with a frenchie with a hot spot.

Glo Bug (egg fly) always seem to work on stocked rainbows.

If the water isn't super cold I almost always use a white bugger for fresh stockies.

corn meal batter, oops, I thought that said fav recipe!! sorry!

CB Stocker

Attachments

• cb stocker.jpg
    cb stocker.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 2
The biggest trout I ever caught was a 16" stocked brown trout. Caught it on a #12 bead head green weenie, which has become one of my go-to flies, in general, but especially for fresh stocked fish.

I wonder why they take glo eggs

Curiosity or because it looks like discarded / lost powerbait ?

I never would have thought of a glow egg - big #14 or small #20 ?

They are hard wired from thousands of year of evolution to eat eggs.
A glo egg sets off there natural instincts.
I don't think that trout would key in on power bait, as probably 90% that eat it get jerked out of the water.

deer or elk hair pellet shaped.

Pink squirrel, egg sucking leech, 60 second redhead, picket pin, and prince nymphs.

Egg patterns, beadhead PT, GR hares ear, beadhead green weenie.

Sucker Spawn. I have a hard time not using yellow or pale yellow. I was parked on top of a pool of fresh stockers a few years ago. For stockies, Don Douple said to use chartruse, like a green weenie. I had a few different colored sucker spawn to try as an experiment. I went back and forth with the green sucker spawn but didn't do as well as with the pale yellow. The pale pink seemed to work about as well, and better than the brighter pink. Water was clear and the sun was out, so lighter colors might have made sense. More color and the darker pink or green would have been better. I just have not found anything to work as well as sucker spawn. My go to for early trout, both wild and stocked. It, trailed by a sz. 18 P.T. nymph is my go-to for wild fish. They are usually eating one or the other.

But if it's at all sizable DHALO water, like Oil Creek, I opt for spinners in the first week or 2. It's just too fun and easy.

Syl

I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets frustrated when a freshly stocked trout refuses a perfectly drifted nymph. After two trips I haven't been able to catch very many on my go-to patterns, and the only fly I got consistent results on was an orange glow bug. They wouldn't take my beloved frenchies either :(

black flashy buggers...like size 10-12..
greenie weenies...
give em' a few weeks until they adjust and then head out at dusk with griffith's gnats. you can usually find a few risers. they cant help themselves.

Did well yesterday on week old stockies--every one of them took the same fly--red san juan worm. ymmv.

Back