Favorite Beetle Pattern?

M

mario66pens

Beetles make up 40% of known insects, can never have enough of them, I just use dubbing, black hackle and vary the color of the foam.

I like the foam beetles with the red or pink dot on them.

Hook - standard dry fly. I use a lot of #14s and #16s

Tie in a strip of black closed cell foam approximately the width of the hook gap back to about the barb.

Tie in 2 - 3 strands of peacock herl and wrap forward (or dub with something similar to peacock herl) to about the midpoint of the shank.

Tie in three strands of green krystal flash. for legs.

Wrap remaining herl or dub forward to behind the eye.

Bring foam over top to form the shellback of the beetle. Tie down and trim excess to form a head. At same spot tie in a piece of pink or orange glo bug yarn for a hot spot to aid with visibility. Whip finish. Trim legs to proper length.

I like Steeves' Firefly. It's basically a beetle(foam, herl) but also uses Kreinik materials for a hot butt, shell back, and wings

Dry fly hook
black thread
Kreinik 005 for shell back (similar to flat braid)
black foam
Kreinik 054 hot yellow 3 or 4 turns (depending on size)for a hot butt(similar to small round braid; floss or heavy thread would also work)
peacock herl

fold foam to just behind eye forming a head like a regular beetle

Kreinik 850 (1/8"similar to a dark flat braid): tie in at head tie in point and separate into 2 wings and pull fibers apart(crystal flash could be used as a substitute). Wings should be about length of body pointing sideways & back(like a wing!)
pull shellback over back in between wings and tie down

I often skip the shell back because unless you pull it under water the fish can't see it

http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw/9197fotw.php

I like Lorn Willians beetle pattern.
http://www.lorenwflyfishes.com/tutorials/dry-flies/foam-beetle

Toofish wrote:

now that i like. even I could tye that...

Tom Rosenbauer's parabeetle.

One of the best dry fly guys I know swears by the Crowe beetle...

i tye deer hair beetles and foam beetles the same way.tye the floating material down the shank,wrap peacock herl and/or hackle over it,pull the remaining material from the tail area over the top,tye off and clip.done.

i like to go big sometimes,because i've seen huge beetles most places i fish.

I learned to tie the crowe beetle in my fly tying class - almost 30 years ago now. And I was told shortly afterward, that foam beetles are better, more durable patterns.
So, I quit tying the crowes, and used foam patterns.

About 12 - 15 years ago now, I started tying crowes again, and fishing them. They just look a little"buggier" IMO - and there seems to be something with that little plop they make when landing on the water, that makes the fish come after them well
I also started tying them with an underbody of peacock herl, which makes them look even better.

Yeah, their not as durable as foam patterns. But their so easy to tie, I don't really mind them falling apart after a few fish.
I catch lots of fish on them everywhere I go

My go to is a peacock hero body with black hackle palmered back to fron. I top it off with an orange turkey biot for visibility. I generally use #16-20.

Me too. Thanks!! Used on the 4th for blue gills and pumpken seeds. Have fun!!
Sean
geebee wrote:
Toofish wrote:

now that i like. even I could tye that...

David wrote:
One of the best dry fly guys I know swears by the Crowe beetle...

I was wondering when he was going to reply to this thread.....

Sal showed me one a few years ago. Herl, grizzly hackle, black foam, and deer hair tied in a caddis style up top. That's pretty much all I tie now. Works like a boss.

Squatch, if you don't mind, could you post a picture of that beetle? Just curious what it looks like, thanks.

Sure. Head's up, I suck at tying. I want to tye up a couple for bass and panfish anyway. I'll TRY to get to that tonight.

Hey I suck at tying too, the fish don't seem to notice! Thanks

Back