Faulty Pink Buttons

jifigz

jifigz

Is anyone else out there not pleased with the pink PAFBC button? No matter where I clipped it to my chest pack it would always get bumped around and the cheap safety bin would bend too easily. Well, yesterday I bumped it with my rod hand and before you know it it had fallen in the water and was gone. I really liked the button, but the safety pin mechanism was just far too flimsy and cheap. I want to buy another, but for what purpose? To lose?

I don't understand the attraction of buying a $5 button in addition to a paper license. I can print and lose 100 paper licenses for pennies, why risk losing the button? I've lost all types of things while fishing that were tethered to my pack, I'm sure the button wouldn't be far behind.

buttons are best on the Fly Tying Desk or a shelf ;-)

I'm on my second button for this year. I know roughly when and where it disappeared (night fishing in ten inches of snow in State College in January), so there was little hope of finding it until things thawed out. Seeing as I didn't discover it was missing until a week after it dropped, it's probably gone. Last year, I made it the whole year with the blue button, but I recall bending the pin a little bit so that it stuck better. I was concerned that I was going to break the pin or the backing though and was trying to figure out how to get a sturdier pin in place to replace the flimsy one.

I like the button over a paper license for a number of reasons - with a flapping license holder, I inevitably end up getting my line tangled on it, whereas a button has a much lower surface footprint and remains flatter on my chest pack. In theory, it should also be harder to lose or get caught on something, but I've dashed that theory. You also don't have a rectangular yellow or white block exposed to the fish.

If someone finds it, I hope they turn it in and you get written up for littering. :p ;-)

The only way I would buy one is if I collected that kind of thing. I don't.

By the way, where are they made?

Take them for what they are...something to fall apart quickly and lose so you go out and buy another.

I pin it on my hat. No issues.

Good to know though...I'll be sure to doubly secure it with wire.

EDIT: On second thought, maybe I'll crush the clasp!

I learned the hard way last year to crush the U shaped clasp with needle nose pliers.

CaptainHook wrote:
I learned the hard way last year to crush the U shaped clasp with needle nose pliers.

Absolutely!!

I do the same thing after losing one of my buttons that was on my HAT at least three times last year. Fortunately, I found it lying in my gear bag in the trunk, all three times!

my paper license goes in a pinned holder pinned to the back of my hat - so the WCO can see it from the bank but its out of my way.

i print it our on orange blaze paper too so hunters can see me ;-)

Good advice.

I just put an "IOU 2015" on a piece of yellow paper and pin it to the back of my hat. I never get bothered.

On a related subject once upon a time while broke and in college my inspection ran out on the fishing machine so i used my turkey tag taped over the expired sticker for several months.

JUNK
Pink buttons are for people that fish pink flies.

Told yinz those pink buttons were lame.

It's a vast right wing conspiracy to build faulty products and thereby to get anglers to spend more money than they should.

PS: I haven't lost my license button yet

I have a senior lifetime so no buttons for me but, no way in he!! would you get me to wear a pink button, i think the reg change to not showing your tag on an outer garment was a fubar. If you read the Pa. Constitution having to purchase a permit to fish is unconstitutional.

brookieaddict wrote:
I have a senior lifetime so no buttons for me but, no way in he!! would you get me to wear a pink button, i think the reg change to not showing your tag on an outer garment was a fubar. If you read the Pa. Constitution having to purchase a permit to fish is unconstitutional.

I basically never display mine anyways. It is usually a hassle and gets in the way. I do always have it on me so if and when asked I will show it. I have never been asked, however, and I have ran into WCO's many times. This year I will just play dumb. "Why isn't your license displayed?" "Well, I have the pink button right here. Oh, it must have fallen off. Here is my license, sir!" It still gives me an excuse to not display I suppose.

I got one of those giant promotional pink buttons that they have at the license sales counter. I plan to strap it on my back so the WCO can see me from a long way off and won't have to walk down and check me.

My fishing license is always in my wallet.

I fully disagree with having to display it, I think it's antiquated enforcement, but since I don't need any hassle (career wise) with WCO's (though it's been years since I was checked) I find the button far less intrusive than a flapping license and it still complies.

I lost my button twice last year, I found it both times.

Back