Family Tyes Weekend

BrookieBuster101

BrookieBuster101

Memorial Day Weekend is designated as the Family Tyes annual trip to Fishing creek and surrounding waters.
We pulled into Fisherman's Paradise at 8:00, just enough time to catch the sulfur hatch. In just under an hour I had 6 fish under my belt, 5 browns and a brookie. I think that the brook trout was a hatchery escapee but a nice surprise never the less.

The next day me and my dad went to Benner Springs. Fishing was tough so i took the time to observe instead of fishing. I never fished a stream with so much vegetation so i walked the stream trying to find where the trout sit. They find the cuts in the weeds made by the main current as well as behind a weed bed where the grass forms a cave. However the majority of the fish are right against the bank. I saw a 20 inch brown with his nose ON the bank, the purpose of this lye is unknown to me. Perhaps he was waiting for mice to cross there. Anyway back on Fishing Creek at the Sieg Center where we were staying, there was supposed to be a really nice green drake spinner fall. We decided to fish there for the evening.

After two days of people slapping the water in that big pool, those fish were incredibly spooky even in the event that huge mayflies were on the water. I decided to try walking around, once again observing the ways of the fish in these conditions. For those of you that are un familiar with the Sieg Center property, the stream splits into two stream segments. one is a long slow shallow pool, and the other is a narrow, fast, cut. Well everyone fishes the big pool, disregarding the little stream so i was walking along the little stream throwing my green drake into likely water. I had a few hits from small brook trout but they must have been too small to stay on. I came upon a log jam that was followed by a deep channel. First cast BAMM! a chunky brown smashes the fly with no hesitation. I land that fish, take a few photos and release him. I cast a few more times but decide to rest the pool and continue down the stream. 10- 15 minutes later i come to where the two streams come back together so I decide to go back to the logjam hole.

Just like before, first cast, and fish runs out to smash my fly with a splash!! After a couple minutes I bring to net the biggest wild brook trout I have ever seen in my life! 14 inches of wild splendor lay sitting in my net. I cannot believe it! After taking some photos I release the beauty back to where it came.
Lesson learned: Think outside the box and take time to observe the world of our quarry. You will be rewarded

Nighttime Spring Creek Brown
30388_1144623512538_1736031651_271865_5271351_n.jpg

Fishing Creek Green Drake Dun
30388_1144623472537_1736031651_271864_2668140_n.jpg

Chunky Brown (caught before brookie)
30388_1144623432536_1736031651_271863_8386598_n.jpg

14" Wild Fishing Creek Brook Trout
30388_1144623352534_1736031651_271862_2469529_n.jpg

Awesome CJ! I did the same thing that you did when I went to spring yesterday. Its a shame we werent able to fish, soon enough, soon enough.

Oh and on a side note, your hands are giant so that trout is bigger than it looks

haha I thought the same thing. I probably should have had it against my rod for a better size comparison.

Wow. That wild brookie is a beauty. There are some good sized wild brookies in Fishing Creek although I've sure never caught one that large there. There's a pic in the Jam Photos thread of Fredrick with a large brookie from Fishing Creek. Must be a good year for big brookies in FC.

Sounds like a great weekend. Can anyone rent out the Sieg Center (or sleeping quarters there)?

What part of the state is Fishing Creek in? Correct me if I am mistaken but isn't there more than one fishing Creek in PA?

Nickyboy wrote:
What part of the state is Fishing Creek in? Correct me if I am mistaken but isn't there more than one fishing Creek in PA?

Yeah theres one up near scranton/wilkesbarre. But the more popular one is in central PA, like around lock haven/state college. That has "The narrows"

Thanks. This looks like a great place to pay a visit.

Yeah its awesome!

Nick,
There are "fishing creeks" all over PA (and other states). This one, however, is probably the most famous one in PA and is in Clinton County. It's sometimes called "Big Fishing Creek" - although the "big" part apparently isn't official. The other well known Fishing Creek in PA is in Columbia County.

I dont think that just ANYONE can rent the place out. I believe it belongs to lockhaven university. Fishing Creek isn't an easy stream, jsut ask Ty ;-) but it certainly is a gem with some big fish if you can find them.

BrookieBuster101 wrote:
I dont think that ANYONE can rent the place out. I believe it belongs to lockhaven university. Fishing Creek isn't an easy stream, just ask Ty ;-) but it certainly is a gem with some big fish if you can find them.

I dont wanna talk about this :p. Me and fishing creek do not get along well.

Back