Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Fall stocking this year

I gotta say, as a catch and release angler I do support limiting the fall stocking of most streams. There are two streams that have received fall stockings in my general area. One of these, has a good population of wild browns, and native brookies that sneak in from smaller mountain tribs (Clark's Cr). IMO, I wish this wouldn't be stocked, as it has potential to hold its own with the amout of fish that are thriving. The other has some potential, but runs from Lebanon, thru Annville, and meets the Swatara behind Palmyra (Quittie). The Quittie is mostly a put and take fishery with a decent amount of holdovers in certain spots. Then it's barren for what seems like miles. Most of the streams I fish have populations of naturally reproducing browns. But with the majority of the streams in the area holding populations of wild fish, won't this give them a better chance of producing a better fishery down the road?

Posted on: 2013/10/17 18:15

From Philadelphia PA
They stocked my fav creek on the 9th. goody goodie goody.

Posted on: 2013/10/18 7:17
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Harrisburg
Odizz, I wasn't aware that Clarks had any tributaries large enough to support native trout. Perhaps above the dam?

Posted on: 2013/10/18 13:47

From Dauphin PA
Mike,

On streams where the state is trying to establish a more wild system of stocking, has planting boxes with wild fish eggs (purchased from Montana or harvested from wild fish stock locally)? What would happen if you stripped eggs from a few letort browns, a few spring creek browns and then hatched them under the controlled conditions of a hatchery? If you raised those fish until they were 5" and then stocked them, would the still keep the wild traits and be successful spawners? It seems that doing something along those lines would produce a heartier fish in comparison to the grain fed ones with a gene pool that's been all but used up. It would be on a pretty small scale so that you don't cause fish number problems on the waters where you capture the adult egg producers. Just curious.

Posted on: 2013/10/18 14:54

Goro,

There are a few very tiny tribs that hold some brookies. I usually pick up a little native or two around the mouths of these tribs. None of the fish are big by any means. I'm curious if any of these fish are starting to make their home in the main stream. I only really started catching these little guys within the last 2 years to be honest... Here's a pic of one of these little diamonds from this past spring.

Attach file:

jpg  image.jpg (173.14 KB)
1668_5261af1ad38be.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2013/10/18 17:59

Krayfish I really like that idea dude, it would be awesome if the state gave it a shot

Posted on: 2013/10/18 18:21

From Dauphin PA
Odizz,

Benn catching those in Clark's fly area for 20 years. Fish shallow, crappy water where bigger fish won't live and they are in there. A perfect example is walk in by the white barn, cross the riff above the bend (to your right). Fish below that pool in the ankle deep riff with a caddis. You'll catch a few tiny brookies (3-4").

Back in the 1988-89, I'd trico fish the quittie before it got back on the stocking list. Took some beautiful Brown's and bows in the meadows. Some of fish were 16-18" too. There's fish in more places than you'd think.

Gros,

At one time, I think eggs were bought from fish on the beaverhead or other Montana river. You can only breed / cross breed so many times before you get Brown's with no colored spots and the black dots turn into worm patterns

Posted on: 2013/10/18 18:31

just to update on my earlier post.. found the fish in lorimer on this week's outing... all in one pool where i guess they were stocked.... still getting used to where to look for stockies... they were in the slow, deeper water of a back-eddy with a darker bottom and some cover. Guess that makes sense... but hard to flyfish them out of that kind of water.

anyway, got one and cooked it up for dinner - it was fantastic, very clean and fresh tasting. Family loved it.

Posted on: 2013/10/19 22:43

From Harrisburg
Beautiful fish, Odizz.

I've caught a few brookies in Clarks, but all of them have either been obvious stockies or grizzled vets (and after a year or two, I doubt anyone can tell). This confirms my suspicions, I just haven't found any tribs that I felt would support that size of life. I'll have to finally follow one of those one-or-two foot tribs a few hundred yards and see if I find anything interesting!

I don't believe I've caught a native brookie on the fly to date. I intend to break that streak before next year is done.

Posted on: 2013/10/20 1:48

Goro, I only know of two streams that are easily accessible for native brookies. Both are within a half hour -45 mins of HBG. None of my friends flyfish, so I'm not one to hike out into the woods, or drive real far. You'll get one soon. Shoot me a PM if you wanna get out sometime.

Posted on: 2013/10/21 18:58

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com