Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Fall fly fishing just around the corner
Webmaster
I am working collecting some thoughts on a variety of approaches to fly fishing this fall season for trout. Cool nights, lower water and a few summer holdovers make for some fun and new challenges. I like slate drakes and wooly buggers. I realize each stream is a little different and we all have our favorite tactics for the season, but I am curious in that diversity of approach.

Posted on: 2009/9/10 10:58

Re: Fall fly fishing just around the corner

From florida
Looks like my annual trip to New York for big browns, salmon, and maybe steelies is on . Got the word yesterday to expect a call when the run starts.Digging out tackle and getting ready to Tye up some flies, mostly eggs and buggers.
DKILE, do you fish isonichia? in the fall?

Posted on: 2009/9/10 11:05

From Pine Grove
Probably not a shock to anybody, but for me it is quietly stalking large trout in small streams with muddlers, kinda like I do in the winter, spring and summer.

Boyer

Posted on: 2009/9/10 11:06

From Pittsburgh
I start thinking small again with fall brood of BWOs and ever-present midges. If that doesn't produce, I'll tie on a big colorful streamer.

Of course, fall also means steelhead..going under with eggs and nymphs are my most productive patterns there...

Posted on: 2009/9/10 11:09

From Bozeman
I noticed a good number of leaves in the water yesterday. There were enough to foul every dozen or so casts.

The fish were fat, healthy, and colorful. I spotted a battleship of a brown in the crystal clear water, and he seemed to have a bright reddish sheen to him.

It's on.

Posted on: 2009/9/10 11:15

From Harrisburg PA
Caddis, BWO's w/ nymph or emerger droppers. Don't forget terrestrials, I prefer crickets and ants, until the hard frosts. I have also had success with streamers, yellow conehead marabou muddlers, foxee clousers and white zonkers. I really don't fish streamers as much as I should.

I love fall fishing. Bowhunt in the morning, fish late morning through mid-afternoon and bowhunt the late afternoon to dark.

Posted on: 2009/9/10 11:16

if you haven't-try greasing the muddlers-[unweighted ones] and twitching across faster water in the afternoons.

Posted on: 2009/9/10 11:22

Webmaster
GG,

I have tried a few Slate Drakes in the fall, but only have had limited success mostly because I have not gotten out as much during this time of year. I have had more luck with going underneath on a variety of streamers.

That is what I like about the forum as I want to try some new things this year and who better than to ask than all the smartest fly anglers I know...you guys.

David when out west do you see the BWO's?

I am trying to put together a blog post on a few ideas on what to bring and tactics for fall trout fishing.

Posted on: 2009/9/10 17:54

From aliquippa
can`t wait for those cold and cloudy days for the bwo hatches on the first fork sinnemahoning

Posted on: 2009/9/10 19:43

From Bucks County
Fall means our annual trip to NC Pa. to fish as many streams as we can in one week. The most colorful brook trout we ever saw come from this region. Its hard going back home after a week there.

Posted on: 2009/9/10 20:49

From Enola, Pa.
Quote:

pete41 wrote:
if you haven't-try greasing the muddlers-[unweighted ones] and twitching across faster water in the afternoons.

Pete

Sounds interesting, tell me more!

I always look forward to Maurice and I anual trip to the LJ in the Fall, hope we can still make it now that he's got a new Job. We usually do pretty well with his slate drake pattern, and the terrestrial still do the job!

Great time of the year for trout fishing!

PaulG

Posted on: 2009/9/11 8:19

In Montana[a far away place] early sept. used to be the time the unweighted muddler fished on the surface became THE fly.
What made it so special is that it had a way of bringing surface strikes in the afternoon from larger,wary browns.
This was in a short window[2 or 3 weeks] from the end of the dog days of August and the beginning of the spawning run.
Fished much the same as skating spiders-I suggested slightly broken water at the least in the East where pools tend to be shallower.
Try it over riffles.Size 8 or 10
grease the fly and leader.
However as other newer flys displaced the muddler this eagerly awaited time lost favor-didn't mean it was less effective-just meant people forgot about it.
Baileys use to push the method for the yellowstone-tough river.

Posted on: 2009/9/11 8:53

Can't beat the soltitude, beauty and fall fishing on the Little J but we really need several days of cool slow rain.

74 CFS today

32 CFS 1995

74 is still way too low

Posted on: 2009/9/11 9:09

QUESTION "EVERYTHING"

From Gunpowder River, MD
Have little or no interest in Altmar NY fishing..Looking forward to Penns in the next few weeks...Seeking Olives and slates...If it doesn't turn on at Penns, may hit the Savage..

Posted on: 2009/9/11 9:40

From Chester County
Quote:

dkile wrote:
I realize each stream is a little different and we all have our favorite tactics for the season, but I am curious in that diversity of approach.

No real differences in approach. In limestoners I usually start and end fishing with scuds and/or cressbugs underneath, and possibly terrestrials on top. I fish scuds and CBs all year long in limestoners.

Many streams freestone have midges and I'm always on the look out for trout rising to midges. Also, on streams that have a trike hatch, they will usually continue hatching until the first frost.

Some streams have a Isonychia (Slate Drake) hatch in the fall. I look for them as well as any caddis activity on top. I may tie on an Isonychia nymph if the hatch is present. I also use a lot of genric nymphs (PTs, HEs, etc.) too, usually as one fly in a two or three fly rig. I often try a little smaller size in the fall than I would in the spring.

And when the going gets tough, I may tie on a WB or a Clouser if I have to...that's about it.

Actually fly selection is a lot simpler in the fall since there really isn't a lot hatching to worry about matching, and next year's nymphs are for the most part too small to try to match. Stoneflies are the exception since the larger ones remain in the water for more than one year.

Posted on: 2009/9/11 10:09

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com