Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Fall fly fishing just around the corner

It's all about the baetis for me in the fall. All of my favorite streams have them and the fish are usually on them. It's funny, at breakfast this morning, with the rain pouring down, my wife said that it was an olive kind of day. That's usually a clue that I ought to go fishing! I love the wet fall weather. Sick I know.

Anyway, while I do love to fish dries to rising fish, I am always drawn to moving waters. If the fish aren't rising to a good hatch, I like to fish a two fly rig. A small weighted pt or baetis nymph on point and a size 18 winged wet olive as the dropper. I fish this tight lined uptream in the riffles. With the flows generally still fairly low, you don't need much, if any, additional weight other than the weighted or bh nymph to fish it effectively.

Sundrunk, I got a call yesterday that the olives are already on the Savage in good numbers. They have been better on the sunny days though.

Cheers, Mike

Posted on: 2009/9/11 10:40

From Pgh
Quote:

littlejuniata wrote:
Can't beat the soltitude, beauty and fall fishing on the Little J but we really need several days of cool slow rain.

LJ,
Looky what's heading your way.

I'll be in your neck of the woods Tuesday.
I figured fishing from Barree down to the mouth.

Attach file:

jpg  PA RADAR.jpg (56.84 KB)
1677_4aaa6d52520f5.jpg 302X306 px

Posted on: 2009/9/11 11:31

From Gunpowder River, MD
Quote:

mikeyB wrote:
It's all about the baetis for me in the fall. All of my favorite streams have them and the fish are usually on them. It's funny, at breakfast this morning, with the rain pouring down, my wife said that it was an olive kind of day. That's usually a clue that I ought to go fishing! I love the wet fall weather. Sick I know.

Anyway, while I do love to fish dries to rising fish, I am always drawn to moving waters. If the fish aren't rising to a good hatch, I like to fish a two fly rig. A small weighted pt or baetis nymph on point and a size 18 winged wet olive as the dropper. I fish this tight lined uptream in the riffles. With the flows generally still fairly low, you don't need much, if any, additional weight other than the weighted or bh nymph to fish it effectively.

Sundrunk, I got a call yesterday that the olives are already on the Savage in good numbers. They have been better on the sunny days though.

Cheers, Mike

Received a simular report yesterday. Typical on/off conditions on the Savage...The Savage may be the most unpredictable trout water I fish..

Posted on: 2009/9/11 12:09

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

dkile wrote:
David when out west do you see the BWO's?

I'll see them sparingly in Sept., but whenever it turns cold and rainy is when things heat up. Typically mid October is when I really start to expect to find them.

Posted on: 2009/9/12 8:12

Webmaster
David,

Thanks. Of course planning on PA streams this fall, but I may head back out to western MD. I had a good trip this past spring to NBP, Savage and the Yough.

Posted on: 2009/9/12 9:02

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

dkile wrote:
David,

Thanks. Of course planning on PA streams this fall, but I may head back out to western MD. I had a good trip this past spring to NBP, Savage and the Yough.

Let us know when you can make an erie steelhead trip!!!

Posted on: 2009/9/12 9:17

Greenghost

some great water down there

have fun the river is up a little

water should be cool

Posted on: 2009/9/12 9:35

QUESTION "EVERYTHING"

Webmaster
David,

Really trying to figure that out. I would love to head up with you guys.

Posted on: 2009/9/12 10:25

From Pittsburgh
Fall fishing is mainly about BWO's for me also. I start looking for them earnestly about mid sept - now - thru oct. These are smaller - #20 - than the BWO's that hatch in spring
Slate drakes are pretty important in fall - especially on penns and the little juniata.
Terrestials still catch a lot of fish for me on warm fall afternoons also.
I've also fished to sporadic caddis hatches this time of year.

I used to always go up to erie in the fall. Then, about 20 years ago, I found out that there was some pretty good dry fly fishing on most of my favorite trout streams in sept and oct. And a lot less hectic conditions. So, that's where I concentrate my efforts now. I just enjoy it more

Posted on: 2009/9/15 0:18

I recommend fishing for brook trout until they start spawning. They spawn mostly in October, so you can fish for brookies all through September. And it's a great time to be on the mountain streams. It's before the hunting seasons and it's after Labor Day, so September is quiet in the Big Woods.

When the brookies start spawning in early October, then switch to the brown trout streams and fish those until they start spawning. They spawn mainly in November.

When the browns start spawning, then go fish for steelhead. If you can stand the crowds.

Also, you might give the smallmouth fishing a try. One year a friend and I fished the Susquehanna River from Sept. 8-10 and I had the best smallmouth fishing I have ever had. We caught both very good numbers of smallmouth and good size. It seemed like the cooler weather produced better fishing than during the dog days of summer.

Posted on: 2009/9/15 8:20

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com