Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Fall Fishing

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Hehe.

I was gonna post this in the Warmwater forum, but with a water temp of 44 yesterday that didn't seem right. Found myself searching for water Saturday and landed on an upper section of the Swatara.

Funny thing is I'm pretty sure I caught this fish in April 2012. It was approximately 16" now and in April 2012 I caught a 14"ish fish from the same run. I remember that fish vividly because it had a snelled bait hook in the right corner of its mouth that I removed when I caught it. The hook had been in there for some time and the fish's lip had already developed some scar tissue around it. This fish had an obvious hook injury to that same right corner of its mouth. I can't be 100% sure because I didn't take a picture of the fish in 2012, but it appears C&R may work on Fallfish too. They're tough fish for sure. I had the 2012 fish out of the water for a good 60+ seconds working that hook out and it still gave me a bath when I released it.

Attach file:

jpg  10-26-13 (1).JPG (90.34 KB)
5058_526dc1f872caf.jpg 600X450 px

Posted on: 2013/10/27 21:46

Re: Fall Fishing

From Lancaster
Nice one, Swattie! I don't care what anybody says about them ..... those fallfish are a whole lot of fun on a fly rod. I didn't really get a chance to tangle with any real nice ones this year and I kind of missed it. I bet that fish was a blast and probably a real good chance of being the same fish you caught before.

Posted on: 2013/10/27 23:26

From United States
Great Story and refreshing. I'm glad that you take pride in catching a fallfish and don't consider it a trash fish. They're great sport and take dries exceptionally well. I'm sure that the early black stones bring them up i the swattie in March when most stocked streams are closed to fishing. I believe that they are a native fish to this area. I'm not postive on that one. Maybe someone here is. The biggest I ever caught was a confirmed 21.5 inches.

Posted on: 2013/10/27 23:36
I am of the opinion that there is NOT one single population of wild trout that exists in our great state worth intentionally degrading for the benefit of any fisherman or any amount of money no matter how small the population.

From Johnstown, PA
For me , on one of my usual beats , fallfish fill in a niche where it gets too warm for trout (they are usually piled up around spring holes and small cold tribs , they are stressed out and not easy to catch when they are in this mode and i also think catching them at this time is quite often killing them........negative trout time) but the fallfish move right into the niche , they take up many of the lies where the trout were only a short time ago , they feed readily on top and they fight quite well not to mention they get pretty big and fight well. It seems to happen seamlessly and when it cools down again the reverse seems to happen smoothly too. Biggest fallfish i ever caught was close to 24" , i measured a spot on the rod and then measured that later......some wiggle room. There is no doubt in my mind that could have been the same fish , while trout are pretty vulnerable when it's like that fallfish are TOUGH and i think more likely to survive. COOL POST!!!! Fallfish Unlimited=F.U. .......heh

Posted on: 2013/10/28 6:42

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com