Fall, fishing or hunting?

GenCon

GenCon

I am a bit of a fishing fanatic. Fish in late Winter, all of Spring, Summer. But When Fall comes It is hard to get me out of the woods. Sitting in a treestand is where I will be. Love archery season.
How is it for you? FF, hunting or both?

GenCon

kinda like you, I keep saying I need to fish in the fall/winter...but with archery and waterfowl I never seem to get out... guess I should reserve Sundays for fishing

Fall is my favorite time to fish. In fact, since I have Columbus Day off (banker's hours wha' wha'!), that Monday has become my favorite day of the year to fish. This year I'll be spending it in the Smokies. I love fall fishing.

I'm good with fishing till turkey season. I tried bowhunting one year, but it didn't "take." With all the posted land I once hunted, turkey hunting is getting tougher, too, but I still like to be bested regularly by these fine gamebirds. When I manage to tag one, I feel pretty good, almost as good as I do when I land a big trout I've been after. It's a good time to be off the water, too, as turkey season pretty much coincides with trout spawning around here.

i also love to bowhunt...i normally two the last two weeks off of work and hunt but i will break it up and fish a day or so...but when i do go its on a sunday after church, i try to go aleast once a month

I have told people for years, if you are a fly fisherman, you're probably a bow hunter at heart as well. They go hand in hand if you like a highly skilled hobby and you like get close to your quarry. The thing I hate about bow hunting is the tree stand. I am so hyper and can't take sitting in the stand for real long periods, although, as I have gotten older....it's been easier.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
I love fallfish.

Did he really just say that? :p

Fall is my favorite time of year to fish too. Trout streams are cool enough to fish again, and the more steady rains of Fall often start to recharge their flows. WW fishing is usually still pretty good until the first frost or so too. I try to save my days off each year to take as many Mondays in the Fall as I can. Stay up and watch Sunday Night Football, sleep in a little, then fish on Monday...maybe sneak in the occasional Fall 18 holes as well.

I also like to flyfish &bowhunt,but when the rut kicks in i only bowhunt im a traditional bowhunter with old 1950,s bear recurves,after rut im back to fishing could careless about rifle season

My trout fishing comes to a complete halt when archery season starts. Bowhunting is much more intense than fishing, I believe. Hell, I've gone as far as to hunt the Edmonton Bow Zone 5 times. lol My love for each is still about the same, just in different ways.

Waterfowling sucks me right up. Although this year I'm determined to fish more.

In a tree on Saturday, in a stream on Sunday. :pint:

October is a tough month - so much to do and so little time.

In recent years, I mostly fish in the fall now.
I used to be an avid hunter and traditional archer but have drifted away from hunting in the last decade. I still buy a hunting license every year, but the last couple years I didn't get an archery stamp as I have for thirty years. For eating, wild game and venison appeal to me, but my enthusiasm for killing animals has faded. I still have my gear and treestand and reserve the right to return to hunting. Oftentimes, when I see the leaves change I still feel an itch to go sit in a tree.....but these days the call of trout streams, bass rivers, and the ocean have kept me busy in the fall.

Try adding upland game and waterfowl and things get complicated. After spending countless hours working with my bird dog during the spring and summer, I have difficulty putting her back in the kennel when I go archery hunting. Once grouse season starts, I hunt birds in the morning and deer in the afternoon. That is our mutual understanding.

When people ask me where instand on Sunday hunting thing, I tell them I have to have at least one day to fish.

Hmmm. Bowhunting or Flyfishing? I really enjoy both of them and there just doesn't seem to be enough time during that short window of opportunity in the fall to get it all done. For the past 20 years my week of camping/bowhunting in West Virginia is my big bowhunting excursion. Last year I had a blast fishing for Brookies during early October. What a great time of year to be in the woods and on the stream. I guess I will just try to do my best enjoying the best of both worlds.

When I used to hunt - I quit about 7 years ago now - I was always torn between grouse hunting and FF in fall. I actually used to do both on some trips to central pa - chase birds in the morning, and fish in the afternoons, which is the best time of day for rising fish at that time of year.
But fishing was always my first love - and it wasn't very hard for me to give up hunting when I did.
But there are some times when I come across a nice looking thicket, and I get some thoughts of tramping through it with a shotgun. Maybe some day again.............

I love hunting wild turkeys as much as flyfishing. I do both in the fall and spring.

As much as I love to chronicle and 'catch' as much nature as I can, hunting does not appeal to me because it is a bloodsport.

I absolutely take and enjoy fish on occasion, but there is some sort of internal differentiation between fish and mammals/birds. I'm pretty sure that difference is blood, but I'm not completely sure precisely where the mental separation lies.

That said, (as a non-hunter) hunting appeals to me because it throws you into God's country with little human sound to muck the surroundings. Being stuck in a single tree for hours on end with no promise of a sighting, though, sounds awful. At least I can move on to another pool in a stream and there's always a chance of that hidden lunker behind its lone rock.

Do hunters move much? I know scouting and all should position you with good probability, but I don't know a lot of the details involved.

As I have started really obsessing over flyfishing as I have done the last 12 months or so, I keep questioning my decisions to hunt vs fish. I think I'll fish more this year than last but I still think that as September rolls in I'll be shooting the bow, getting stands ready, scouting, etc. by the way Md bowseason starts in early September! I have also obsessed over free-ranging sika deer on the eastern shore....in a word: awesome.

Favorite days to fish....first day of archery, rifle, and muzzleloader season. Dont get me wrong i like deer hunting as much as the next but like trout season, opening day can be a down right circus.

Back