Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Fall, fishing or hunting?

From Pittsburgh
When I used to hunt - I quit about 7 years ago now - I was always torn between grouse hunting and FF in fall. I actually used to do both on some trips to central pa - chase birds in the morning, and fish in the afternoons, which is the best time of day for rising fish at that time of year.
But fishing was always my first love - and it wasn't very hard for me to give up hunting when I did.
But there are some times when I come across a nice looking thicket, and I get some thoughts of tramping through it with a shotgun. Maybe some day again.............

Posted on: 2013/7/24 23:49

From Clinton County, Pa.
I love hunting wild turkeys as much as flyfishing. I do both in the fall and spring.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 23:58

From Harrisburg
As much as I love to chronicle and 'catch' as much nature as I can, hunting does not appeal to me because it is a bloodsport.

I absolutely take and enjoy fish on occasion, but there is some sort of internal differentiation between fish and mammals/birds. I'm pretty sure that difference is blood, but I'm not completely sure precisely where the mental separation lies.

That said, (as a non-hunter) hunting appeals to me because it throws you into God's country with little human sound to muck the surroundings. Being stuck in a single tree for hours on end with no promise of a sighting, though, sounds awful. At least I can move on to another pool in a stream and there's always a chance of that hidden lunker behind its lone rock.

Do hunters move much? I know scouting and all should position you with good probability, but I don't know a lot of the details involved.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 0:40

From York, PA
As I have started really obsessing over flyfishing as I have done the last 12 months or so, I keep questioning my decisions to hunt vs fish. I think I'll fish more this year than last but I still think that as September rolls in I'll be shooting the bow, getting stands ready, scouting, etc. by the way Md bowseason starts in early September! I have also obsessed over free-ranging sika deer on the eastern shore....in a word: awesome.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 2:59

From South central PA
Favorite days to fish....first day of archery, rifle, and muzzleloader season. Dont get me wrong i like deer hunting as much as the next but like trout season, opening day can be a down right circus.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 5:02

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
both more hunting since I need meat for the winter months. FF is just a side thing to do between the hunting.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 6:14

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From SW PA
The only question is, Who waits until fall to start hunting?

Attach file:

jpg  The_Boys.JPG (24.90 KB)
3277_51f10454b0f16.jpg 448X292 px

Posted on: 2013/7/25 6:56

From Shipp
I'll be in a tree stand every chance I get. Love the sport, love the meat.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 8:05

Back before college, I would find myself bowhunting after school 9 times out of 10. Now that I am in college, don't have a vehicle with me, and don't have a place to butcher a deer, I don't do much hunting (unfortunately).

On the plus side, State College couldn't be in a better location for troot fishin, so I'm on the stream pretty frequently.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 8:36

Ty
Keystone Fly Fishing

From Portage, PA
FALL/WINTER=DEER HUNTING
WINTER (AFTER CHRISTMAS)-OPENING DAY OF TROUT- TROUTFISHING
FIRST DAY OF TROUT TO JUNE 1ST = TURKEY HUNTING
SUMMER-OCCASIONAL TROUT FISHING/SHOOTING MY BOW SCOUTING

I don't like the crowds and hammering stockies arent my thing anymore. Spring turkey took over this void and I am an addict now.
Fall I switch gears to deer hunting. and Summer is laid back, spend a lot of family time.

I also am impossible to get from a tree or the woods in general in hunting season. If I get my buck in archery I am typically found in Erie on the first day of buck.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 13:18

From Pipersville Pa.
Wow, sounds like we have alot of good hunters here. For me I am 54 yrs. old now. I will keep doing both until I can't climb into a tree stand any more. But I do love being in a tree on a chilly Fall morning.Watching the woods come alive is not only a pleasure but I feel an honor. Nothing like it.

GenCon

Posted on: 2013/7/26 14:05

Ian Anderson, Thick as a brick.

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I come from a family of hardcore hunters who occasionally fish. Somehow I turned out as a hardcore fisherman who occasionally hunts.

But yes, I do hunt. Less so than I used to. Part of it is where I live, it's hard to do much hunting locally. And due to distance and family, it's hard to put in the required time to get real serious about it.

But I make it to camp every year to hunt deer with the rifle. That's the only "must do" hunting each year.

Sometimes, if I get to do any scouting for deer rather than count on family to do that, then the deer scouting is combined with hunting for whatever's in season. Fall turkey, bear, and grouse are the most typical for that. If something's in season, I'm carrying a gun, and might even put a little effort into it. I've been known to do an occasional spring turkey outing as well, usually as a side-note to a fishing trip. Hunt in morning, take quick nap, fish late afternoon-evening. Locations, though, are chosen by the fishing part, and I hunt where is convenient for that.

We don't do the small game thing anymore. When I was in HS, we had a pair of beagles, as did uncles and so forth, and we hunted bunnies multiple times per week. On the weekends we'd get em together and make a pack of them. I miss that. It was a lot of fun. But the bunnies got less common and the family all moved to different areas. I'm 4 hours from the nearest family, and not in a position to keep a dog.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 14:48

From Armstrong County
More often than not I hunt during archery season and the rifle deer seasons but I do a lot of fishing in between and on Sundays during those particular seasons.

It's interesting to see the responses here. Hunting and fishing are often categorized together and often if one enjoys one of these 'sports' they do the other. Fishing seems to have a more diversified group as far as personal beliefs go.

FWIW I don't agree with the notion that fishing is not a blood sport. Fish obviously do bleed and any that are saved for the table are no different than a deer, pheasant, or turkey in my opinion.

Posted on: 2013/7/27 11:29

From Central Maryland
Yeah, but the difference is in being able to ethically catch and release a fish on fly gear knowing that you likely did not harm the fish. Very different than hunting where a "catch" always results in a dead animal.

Posted on: 2013/7/27 12:10

From Armstrong County
There is plenty of catch and release in hunting as in letting animals go that you don't want to take. Having them dead to rights and letting them walk is actually less stressful to an animal than fighting a fish for your own enjoyment and then letting it go. It could be argued that catch and release fishing is nothing but a way to torment fish for no reason other than our own amusement.

To those who would look down on hunting because it's a blood sport and argue that fishing isn't the same (it is) keep feeding the ammunition to PETA. They'll be coming after you next for the reasons I stated above.

Posted on: 2013/7/27 14:46

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com