FISHIN’ WITH AKID

JackM

JackM

Staff member
Many of you know AKid, so I don’t need to spend much time on introductions. But for those who don’t, picture a young and handsome Mickey Rooney. Anyhow, he is really laid back and I had a few opportunities to fish with him.

One occasion was on the Little J. We drove out from the Pittsburgh area together and set the parking break near Alexandria, PA. What was hatching, I can’t recall, but I think Blue Winged Olives. In other words: Puteulanus Volatilis. Olives that is.

Funny thing about AKid, he doesn’t take himself or this sport too seriously. At the time he was out of work, taking a mid-life retirement, something I recommend to our younger comrades. After I took off upstream heading for the Island, he had apparently moseyed-up in my direction, but still a full eighth of a mile downstream. Molasses had nothing on him, believe you me. So on my upstream journey, I landed a couple trout or so, but I was merely prospecting for trout on the surface and saw little to no rise activity. I decided to head back down to see how he was doing.

As I rounded the bend, I notice an angler in the distance perched aside the waters near a majestic Oak upon a dead fallen Locust. He was just staring at the water. This was not unusual enough to gain my attention, but I instinctively walk a wide path out of the water and approached him from the woods after signaling my presence behind him.

He was just sitting there staring at the water. So I asked him what was up and he pointed to a riser. I said “What are you waiting for,” but he seemed content to just watch. He told me to “go ahead,” if I wanted to… and I did. Cast, cast, flub, cast, flub. “Ahhhhhh!” Dang! I had missed a take. I thought I heard snickering, but my rearward glance revealed nothing of the sort. Cast, Cast, Cast, Cast…. If it took me 5 minutes, it took me 50, but I finally hooked that son of a gun, and brought him to hand triumphantly. Looking over my shoulder, I saw that Akid was smiling much broader than me.

I once knew a man they called the Akid. One of the better specimens of this community. Although I always put him more towards John Caparulo. And Funn-eee like a monkey on meth. I once made him work for a room and short poorly successful fishing trip. But he was a good sport. I hope his work is as enjoyable now as his retirement was then.

He needs to come back out for a visit I tell you.

I once camped out alongside kettle creek with him. And he slept on a cot under the stars - no tent! Thought that was pretty cool.
Found out that night that he snores like a bear too!

Work is for suckers!

"If fishing is a religion, fly-fishing is high church."............Brokaw.

Yinz are kooks.

Fish upper Bob's yesterday w Andrew. Pretty slow, not many bugs.

I have some days off which I'll use for some mid-week forays.

afishinado wrote:
"If fishing is a religion, fly-fishing is high church."............Brokaw.

Yep, for me as well. Sanctuary. Afish. Great story.

GenCon

Gotta see you at the Jam Akid. GG

Good to hear from you Akid

"Good luck to all fly anglers"

Nice to hear from you, Mike. I hope the sunshine state is treating you well. Sure would be nice to see you in May. If Art can make it, so can you.

Less than $200, or about that, round trip to Latrobe on Spirit Airlines.

I was a young turk and wouldn’t listen to the voices of experience. But, having had business scheduled in Cambria County, I came to PAFF for advice on where I might fish. Maurice offered to meet me on a semi-limestone creek in the area. (Mind you, he lives in York Co.) The day turned hot.

Upon my mid-afternoon arrival, it was 89 degrees… in the shade, which I barely passed through on the way to the creek. I had never fished here, but access and parking was simple to clue into.

When I got to the stream, there was another angler. I called out to him, “Maurice?” and he responded with a nod. We shook hands and both adjusted our cartoon-image of one another we had built on-line to the reality we confronted. Instead of an elderly wise man that I expected, I met a man about my age, maybe younger in months that seemed genuinely glad to make my acquaintance. What he expected, I can only imagine.

We took an obligatory stream temperature and were surprised how warm the water had become. But having traveled so far, we both decided to tour the stream anyhow. Fortunately we did not kill many trout, only torturing a few. When I posted our meeting later, Maurice was a little embarrassed that I admitted that we fished a creek and risked stressing the inhabitants. It was only 69.5 degrees, and at that time of day, I thought we were safely respecting the health of our quarry. Fortunately, lesson having been learned, I have never since posted a stream temperature reading above 69.4-- Unless it was a stocked water, Class D or below after June 15.

What a long strange trip it has been since then. I’ve fished with Maurice numerous times since, and was introduced through him to many other wonderful FFing companions, Paul, Merle, everyone from my earliest Jams, more than I can name…. Now, that fledgling website that gave me an opportunity to meet Maurice and so many others who post here, is continuing to foster new friendships and cooperatives and it does us all proud that these kinds of things happen nearly every day.

Great stuff, Jack... making me relive some memories...

I have enjoyed many'o'beer with Mo, but have not had the pleasure to fish with him... A genuinely great guy!
So many of the guys I have met are more than great fishermen, but great people as well... quickly Jack, Albatross, Bruno, DaveS, Ryguy, bikerfish, DFG, Nello... all class act.
I think back to my first trips with members... My wife thought for sure I'd be found dead - roadside - when I only knew the people I was going to erie with from the internet...

or the initial trip to spring creek in feb to shake off the winter blues.
Alby willing to fish less productive water while I tried to reach the big one clear on the other side of Penns
Bruno helping to test a new tippet material
DaveS insisting I take the cast everytime we get to the "redhead" hole on the yough (I think it's the same fish every time!) I'd like to see the redhead again, though!
DFG... someone else who loves fishin' the small stuff!

Great guys that are helpful, welcoming, and always willing to discuss the fishing over a cold beer!

Great thread Jack. Causing me to reminisce and wax philosophical...

“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.”
- Norman Maclean

Very good thread Jack. I'll echo the sentiment that this forum is full of great people. I feel extremely fortunate that I've gotten to meet and fish with many of you.

Good to hear from Good Fortune too. No surf report Mike?

Albatross
Greg may know better than me, but I think the first time we fished together was on a local Laurel Highlands stream that I had spot-burned here on PAFF. He also had a bead on the stream and contacted me privately to check it out in an area he had discovered.

Since then, we have shared trips together too numerous to mention.
I remember a time on the Little J. We flailed about most of the day catching a few here and there, but not lighting the woods on fire either. ‘Round about dusk, we joined together near the car in a short stretch of variously deep and slow, intermediate and pocketed and thin and rolling stream terrain.

At some point near dark the water started boiling and many fish were brought to hand, mainly by Alby. I switched flies more often than Joe Lieberman switched philosophies/parties. Anywho…

I tried everything and Greg kept telling me it was emergers. I managed to fumble through the twilight enough to get an emerger onto the tippet in time to catch one or two dinks before it was certainly 15 past time to go.

As usual, Alby called his wife to let her know that he was on his way home and that he had caught enough trout to make a cat happy outside of a Chinese restaurant.

Only one trip with Paul, but he was indeed his own breed in the pre-retirement days and I surely enjoyed his company as he shared some new water for me.
Gregs a bit different story, and its probably good he doesnt live closer to good water. I dont think he'd ever be home.
Two of my favorites for sure.

Squaretail wrote:
Gregs a bit different story, and its probably good he doesnt live closer to good water. I dont think he'd ever be home.
Two of my favorites for sure.

Another thing about Greg...There was a thread several years ago about a spot that Squaretail took Albatross to...a "honey hole" if you will...and an image of Greg smiling ear to ear with a quite large wild brown in his hands was burned into my brain. I've asked Greg many times over the subsequent years about the location of this honey hole...mostly in jest of course as I'm sure the locale is far out of my fishing wheelhouse...but I wouldn't turn down any info if he did spill. Well Dan, your secret is safe with him. His lips are forever sealed. He usually just smiles and changes the subject.

Jack,

My memory of that spinner fall on the J is that we each had 50 rising fish in casting distance for an hour or so. I remember bringing about two to hand that evening, but it's still one of my fondest fishing memories...

I'll never give up "God's Gift" Dan, and Turkey they weren't wild...

albatross wrote:
Jack,

My memory of that spinner fall on the J is that we each had 50 rising fish in casting distance for an hour or so. I remember bringing about two to hand that evening,...

Your two grew to dozens and my goose egg grew to "a couple." It is the nature of fishing memories, or poetic license, or whatever you call it. :cool:

Back