Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: FISHIN’ WITH AKID
From Monessen, PA
Albatross
Greg may know better than me, but I think the first time we fished together was on a local Laurel Highlands stream that I had spot-burned here on PAFF. He also had a bead on the stream and contacted me privately to check it out in an area he had discovered.

Since then, we have shared trips together too numerous to mention.
I remember a time on the Little J. We flailed about most of the day catching a few here and there, but not lighting the woods on fire either. ‘Round about dusk, we joined together near the car in a short stretch of variously deep and slow, intermediate and pocketed and thin and rolling stream terrain.

At some point near dark the water started boiling and many fish were brought to hand, mainly by Alby. I switched flies more often than Joe Lieberman switched philosophies/parties. Anywho…

I tried everything and Greg kept telling me it was emergers. I managed to fumble through the twilight enough to get an emerger onto the tippet in time to catch one or two dinks before it was certainly 15 past time to go.

As usual, Alby called his wife to let her know that he was on his way home and that he had caught enough trout to make a cat happy outside of a Chinese restaurant.

Posted on: 4/19 10:43

From Harrisburg
Only one trip with Paul, but he was indeed his own breed in the pre-retirement days and I surely enjoyed his company as he shared some new water for me.
Gregs a bit different story, and its probably good he doesnt live closer to good water. I dont think he'd ever be home.
Two of my favorites for sure.

Posted on: 4/19 11:41

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

Squaretail wrote:
Gregs a bit different story, and its probably good he doesnt live closer to good water. I dont think he'd ever be home.
Two of my favorites for sure.

Another thing about Greg...There was a thread several years ago about a spot that Squaretail took Albatross to...a "honey hole" if you will...and an image of Greg smiling ear to ear with a quite large wild brown in his hands was burned into my brain. I've asked Greg many times over the subsequent years about the location of this honey hole...mostly in jest of course as I'm sure the locale is far out of my fishing wheelhouse...but I wouldn't turn down any info if he did spill. Well Dan, your secret is safe with him. His lips are forever sealed. He usually just smiles and changes the subject.

Posted on: 4/19 15:37

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
Jack,

My memory of that spinner fall on the J is that we each had 50 rising fish in casting distance for an hour or so. I remember bringing about two to hand that evening, but it's still one of my fondest fishing memories...

I'll never give up "God's Gift" Dan, and Turkey they weren't wild...

Posted on: 4/19 23:41

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

albatross wrote:
Jack,

My memory of that spinner fall on the J is that we each had 50 rising fish in casting distance for an hour or so. I remember bringing about two to hand that evening,...

Your two grew to dozens and my goose egg grew to "a couple." It is the nature of fishing memories, or poetic license, or whatever you call it.

Posted on: 4/20 10:50

From florida
Never fished with AKid. Albatross was kind enough to shepherd two old guys around at the last Jam. Both Moose and I had a really great time as Albie hooted and whooped with each hookup.
Squaretail is another one of the really good guys that inhabit PAFF. Fishing with him and the girls is memorable to say the least. GG

Posted on: 4/21 12:28

From Monessen, PA
Had a trip with Dan, or two. I think I first met him in Erie while fishing with Alby. He brings a dog with him. Where else would he put Chickie? Plus, Chickie likes to fish too.

I've never seen him excited, but he always seems to be in a swell mood. He once took me to some Mountain Creek near Harrisonburgh. But first we fished in Mary's Land. Anyhow, his dog got bit.

Let me back up, I took to the trail upstream an hour or so after ST set me up in the water, to see where he and his friends had gone. There they were, coming down the trail, ST carrying his fishing companion. Apparently the dog got curious about something and was bitten in the neck. Off to the vet went Squaretail, and over to Letort went I. I later learned that Chickie was doing well.

Other anglers showing you a stream or two never hurt any stream. But it has helped a few. This said, the names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Posted on: 4/22 13:21

From Monessen, PA
Andrew

Cedar Run, I think. Reminded me of me at my first Jamboree. Hit some small streams with him since and Erie. He packs a lunch.

I remember one time, well, sort of remember, we were on Bob's, or Camp, or was it the Mills, anyhow, we were there. And as I fished into his locale, I see him sitting on a rock, eating what appeared to me as the most magnificent picnic lunch I have ever seen on a trout stream. There were grilled chicken sandwiches, fresh tomatoes, some rice pilaff, or something....

This was amazing to me, because I rarely carried water with me (since having reassessed this practice after learning that dehydration take a toll on the ticker). He shared a kindly morsel and we continued on our way. Quill Gordons, I believe, or not. No, I'm going with Quill Gordons.

Posted on: 4/22 15:12

Ha, funny.

GGH- nice to hear from you. Winter is over in PA- did you hear?

Mike- I recall the time we fished on Fishing creek.

Dan- nice to hear from you as well. I recall the day on the j and Spruce- you got into a hog on Spruce. My favorite thing was you bubby caught several fish- thats is always the best.

Alby- was the first guy I ever met up with from the board- if there is a nicer guy I would like to meet him.

I hope to catch many fishes on top tomorrow.

Good luck to all fly anglers!!!!

still loved little juniatas posts- NO REBUTTLE!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 4/22 17:55

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com