Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: FFing in 2017
From Monessen, PA
"logged well over 500 hours volunteering for TU which included lots of time along the stream"

That's enough community service to walk off a 4th DUI. Just sayin'

Posted on: 12/26 12:55
"He was despised and rejected by mankind, a man of suffering, and familiar with pain. Like one from whom people hide their faces he was despised, and we held him in low esteem. Surely he took up our pain and bore our suffering."

-- Isaiah 53:3-4 NIV

I made it to Spring and fished for sulphers in April that was a nice day.

Fished sulphers later in the hatch with tossel hat , musta been cold for May. Caught a large wild brown on a dry which made my day-biggest fish of the year.

Fished GD’s mainly in the dark- got broke off by a big boy. Never, I repeat never stay at the Millhien Hotel.

Within the last year , I moved close to trout water and took short evening forays after work. Catching a few here and there- with a few wild rainbows thrown in to keep it real.

Fished a blue bird sky day at Penns in the fall , capped the day off with my first fish of the day and my last of the year on a dry. Long day but met my goal of a fish on a dry.

Had a sensational day on an Erie creek for Steelhead- perfect timing. Also had a bust of a trip a few weeks later.

Certainly less fly fishing this year but as I sit and think , I keep recalling fishing day trips.

Don’t think I tied on a trico or a blue wing olive this year.

I have a lot of fishing to do. Need to explore a handful of new streams.

Posted on: 12/27 7:05

From Flourtown, PA
I didn't keep track of my fishing days this year, but it was definitely more than last year. I had a slow start and don't believe I even cast a rod until sometime in March. Once I got started however, I got a lot of trips in.

I fished the Upper Delaware at least 8 or 9 times from April-June. I had one of the best dry fly fishing days of my life and lost the two biggest trout I've ever hooked on a dry on the same day. I learned a nice section of the river well enough to know that I should start learning a new section this year. I can't wait until April.

I fished the Lehigh, the Lackawanna, Penn's, and Big Spring this year and pulled a big wild (that one from Lehigh Gorge might be just wild-ish) fish from each. That probably isn't going to happen for me again any time soon. But I'll try again in 2018.

In June I caught a bunch of stripers from shore in Martha's Vineyard, and I also caught them while sight-fishing from my drift boat on the flats in Menemsha Pond. June was a good month for the fly rod.

I fished the Susky system above Harrisburg a ton (10 or more times) this summer once the smallmouth season opened, and it had to be my best year since the early 2000s. I can't guess how many 16" or better fish I caught this year, and how many of them were on poppers. I know I wasn't able to get a 20" smallie, but I did get one at 19 3/4", and that was good enough for me. I continued to learn more about my preferred stretch of river and found a new productive bank, but again, it looks like time for me to learn a new stretch.

I did do some striper fishing this fall, and I did have one decent morning with 3 fish on the fly (one around 32"), but overall, the salt was not too productive for me in NJ.

I'm just tying now. Tuesday I tied a dozen stoneflies and a bunch of BWO and Blue Quill emergers. Yesterday I knocked out a dozen Articulated Butt Monkeys for the early high water on the Upper Delaware. Today, who knows?

I'd like to get into some midging trout this winter, but I don't feel like frostbitten testicles, so maybe if the earth thaws a bit...

At any rate, it was a good 2017, and I hope you all have a 2018 full of bent rods.

Posted on: 12/28 11:44

From Ephrata, PA
Mixed year. I had major exams and a big move right at the end of May, which of course, was prime hatch season. I explored a bit my "new home waters" a few times, had a great July 4th trip w/ Tim Robinson, a few good runs up to NCPA, including the NCPA Summit, but generally I did a lot less fishin' this year than prior years.

Posted on: 12/28 12:12

From Clinton County, Pa.
I did not fish as much as I would have liked in 2017 but most here could probably say the same. Highlights this year include my now annual trip to Colorado to see my boy at the US Air Force Academy. My wife and I go early so I get a few days to fish the South Platte River. This year I also got to fish inside the Rocky Mountain National Park as we also visited Estes Park. I caught a good number of nice trout there this year to include several 20" class Cut-Bows. The Trico hatches on the South Platte are awesome. First time I have ever fished a 6 weight rod with 5x tippet and a size 24 trico spinner. The fish are wild, big and strong. What a rush! Looking forward to next year.

I also dabbled in fly fishing for Smallmouth Bass this year. Caught some and had a great time. Those things really fight , even the small ones. I will continue to pursue them this next year. A new addiction I think. It's a blast!

I also fished a lot more with my Tenkara rods this year. Caught quite a few and even some nicer ones. I mainly fished the low summer water on Spring Creek. One goal this year is to successfully fish the trico hatch with my Tenkara rods.

I also got to fish several times this year with my mentor, Old Lefty(Dave Rothrock) which is always a pleasure. I hope to get more time this year for us to fish together.

Dave and also went a couple of times in early spring to gather nymphs for photos. That was almost as much fun as fishing. Those Hendrickson nymphs can be very elusive!

Overall a good year. I fished some, I learned some and without a doubt had fun on each and every excursion. Looking forward to 2018. WTT

Posted on: 12/28 13:26

From Gettysburg
Quote:

WildTigerTrout wrote:

I also dabbled in fly fishing for Smallmouth Bass this year. Caught some and had a great time. Those things really fight , even the small ones. I will continue to pursue them this next year. A new addiction I think. It's a blast!

C'mon over to the dark side friend.....

Soon enough you'll be down with us Warm Water Insurgents ranting about how "trout are for suckers!" and such stuff....

Posted on: 12/28 15:27

From Gettysburg
Anyway, '17 was a bit slower fishin year for me too. Hopefully '18 will line up more time on the water for all of us.

Posted on: 12/28 15:29

From cambria county
was a pretty good year. Didn't fish to much but did get out enough to stay sane with twin 2 year old girls and a 5 year old boy.

One of my 2 year old daughter caught her first trout on the fly with my help. She loved the 10" rainbow, next cast we hook a 20" tank of a bow that jumped out of the water right at her. She was scared to death so we stuck to looking at bugs and learning entomology LOL

I bought all the stuff to learn to build rods, have 4 blanks with all the hardware but not time to do it. but at least ill always have it.

I fell in love with fishing for natives. Caught my personal best.

I picked up a Regal Revolution that is my dream vise and should also have the stainless jaws for it soon.

All in all a great year. Only thing that I didn't do that I regret is find time to take my other twin daughter out to catch her first on the fly.

Posted on: 12/28 16:59

From Monessen, PA
I flyfished twice the weekend of the Jamboree, then fished with a fly rod at Erie once, but I would hardly call that fly fishing.

I plan to FF once at least as practice before next year's Jam.

Posted on: 12/28 17:31
"He was despised and rejected by mankind, a man of suffering, and familiar with pain. Like one from whom people hide their faces he was despised, and we held him in low esteem. Surely he took up our pain and bore our suffering."

-- Isaiah 53:3-4 NIV

From lancaster county
No bass fishing for me this year. River was always high when I had the chance.

Trout fishing for mewas very good. Out of about 40 trips only a few of my limited trips yeilded small trout. The rest were large trout and usually multiple ones. Very good year for trout.

Hopefully I'll be in bass next year. I feel like I'm ready to begin and it's over

Posted on: 12/28 18:40

Very limited trout fishing this year with only a handful of trips to the Delaware and 2 to the Tully. Hit a few hatches but missed the major ones I was running for. I had a horrible year nymphing but helped the nephew have his best trips ever to the Delaware. Don't believe I got to the Lehigh or Yough at all this year.

Got in a fair amount bass fishing but the fishing was mediocre for most of the bass season.

Hoping 2018 is a little more generous and that mother nature keeps us wet well into June.

Posted on: 1/2 19:49

From Williamsport, PA
I did a lot of trout fishing. I didn't get many large ones but caught probably more than I ever have. Had more 30+fish days then I can ever remember. Probably caught 5 or 6 tiger trout with 4 of them being wild. I pretty much stopped my trout fishing at the end of September. I did do some smallie fishing on the Susquehanna in September and did ok but nothing like I had done the previous year (2016 was the best smallie year I ever had). The Susquehanna just stayed too high for me most of the summer. I never got out ice fishing in January and February of 2017 but I did get out on the last day of 2017. I'm hoping for some good ice fishing this winter. Definitely looks like we are going to have the ice! I'm hoping to do some more in state traveling in 2018 to hit up some different trout streams this year.

Posted on: 1/3 11:34

From Lancaster
I’m glad someone asked. Did a ton of fly fishing in 2017. In chronological order:

Thai mahseer and snakehead in the jungles of Thailand. Slept in a bamboo hut.

Floating for pre-spawn smallies in PA. Lot’s of big SMB.

Bonefish in Exuma. Winds never dropped below 20MPH. Still caught a bunch, biggest about 6-7 lbs.

More floating for pre-spawn SMB in PA. Best SMB fishing I’ve seen in years.

Native brook trout, wild landlocked salmon, SMB, pickerel, perch and trophy chubs (4lbs) in Maine. Spent more time chasing smallies this trip than we typically do.

Post-spawn smallies in PA. Floated several unpressured areas that I’ve been doing recon on the last couple of years. It payed off.

Canoe-camped in the Adirondacks. Mis-timed the hex hatch but still did well. Lots of SMB and LMB, including my biggest LMB on the fly (4 lb). Dodged some wicked evening T-storms, but the smallies went berserk on the surface after each squall passed through.

More PA smallies. Topwater bite was fantastic this summer: poppers during the day and dries during the big hatches. Caught a personal best in almost every stream I fish.

Went for musky and bass in Michigan. No esox there, but caught a behemoth SMB just shy of 7 lbs!

Heritage strain wild brook trout in an isolated lake in Canada. Nothing but brookies there. No trophies, but the fish averaged 13-18”. It was the last week of the season there and they were in full spawing colors.

Back to ADK for late season bass. Didn’t see another soul fishing in the course of several days on some of the best lakes there.

Salmon river, NY. Had a nice time, but can cross that one off my list. First time there and got tired of dodging the smelly salmon carcasses while wading. Indicator nymphing isn’t for me anymore. A couple hours of that and I’ve had tendinitis in my elbow for 10 weeks since. Never again. No big loss. Very effective, but not a fun way to fish anyhow!

Met some buddies for a few hours on a local stream in December. Hooked one wild brown on a bugger intended for the smallies in that pool. That was the extent of my trout fishing in PA this year.

Only broke one rod this year (rebuilding it now). Floated countless hours and explored lots of new areas. Took a SMB newbie out and watched him turn into a fish catching machine as the season progressed. Great year!

Posted on: 1/9 12:37

From NW Pa
Managed to fly fish in 6 different states this year:

Arizona in March- Lee's Ferry on the Colorado. Spent 3 days there and did quite well.

PA in April/May - From western border to Central part of state. Average season.

NY in June - Fished some new waters in upstate NY. Native browns small stream fishing. Had a blast, on schedule for this year as well.

Idaho in August - Henry's Fork of the Snake River for my annual humbling.

Montana in Aug/Sept - Yellowstone NP, Madison, Gallitan. Annual trip but way to hot temperatures this time out. Did ok but not matching up to previous years.

Wyoming in Sept - Buffalo Fork of the Snake, Gros Venture. Fair fishing for these locations but only had a short time exploring.

Posted on: 1/9 14:26

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

gulfgreyhound wrote:
Trip to NZ made up for any lost time here. So for 2018 just to get on the stream more often. Invite to N. Georgia to fish and back to the Jam in May. Maybe steelhead, although the NY tribs are a better bet,imo. Gotta play the cards I'm dealt. GG

Art, I may be able to make the NY trip this year, but I won't know for sure until later. Keep in touch on that.

As far as PA fishing in 2017, I only went for the Steelhead Jam. In fact, I think that was the only fishing I did last year. I don't remember even fishing my own ponds. All that will have to change this year.

Finishing out a 2 to 4 year sentence (work), then I will certainly fish more.

And who knows, maybe I will get lucky and get released early for bad behavior.

Posted on: 1/10 7:02

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
The New Keystone Fly Fishing Book
Polls
Where do you most want to fly fish outside the region?
Western US 39% (31)
Alaska 10% (8)
New Zealand 32% (26)
Florida Keys 3% (3)
South America 6% (5)
Elsewhere 7% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2018/3/17 12:44
6 Comments

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com