Even warmwater streams are still carrying stocked trout

M

Mike

Sampled Darby Creek just up from Darby Borough today. Although we did not find many stocked trout, we found 2-4 browns and rainbows per 100 yds in very good condition. This is an urban, heavily fished stream, that supports primarily warmwater species. But with all of the rain and cooler temps this year even these streams are carrying stocked trout from the spring. If Darby has trout in good condition that far downstream, then many or most of the stocked trout streams in eastern and central Pa are still carrying trout as well, and probably in greater numbers than in this particular stream. Water temps today: 10:30 AM...69 deg; 3 PM 73 deg F.

Mike,

Thanks for the update. Darby Creek in August carrying trout is news. Have to think this mild summer helps all the trout populations across state for some good fishing in the fall.

I caught 3 rainbows in Slippery Rock Creek two weeks ago. I was stunned.

That's a nice surprise. I know Ithan creek still has a few, never would have thought Darby still does.

Hopefully they can hold on a few more weeks.

Certainly this has been an unusual year for trout in PA. Last week I caught two rainbows in a warm water stretch of a local creek near my home while fishing for sunfish. This section is several miles downstream of where it is stocked and regularly sees temps in the 80s (in normal years) in the summer. I fish it for bass and sunnies and have never seen a trout there - not even in the springtime. Not only have temps been cool but water levels have remained on the strong side contributing, of course, to higher oxygen levels. To see trout in these places in Aug really is unusual. Whether these fish survive till fall still remains unlikely in my view but some of the more borderline ATWs with good tree cover in higher elevations probably will see some holdover.

I caught one of the healthiest looking rainbows i've ever seen on the Brandywine River near Route 1 in Chadds Ford about a week ago. I regularly take surface temps on this river that exceed 77 degrees.

Pine has been tremendous this year, as of today we are gettin more rain and the P.E.D.'s and slate Drakes are coming off good. great year for fishin..

This really has been a great spring/summer for the trout. They deserve a break after the last 3 very dry summers. I was fishing a couple streams in Potter last weekend, and the stream temps were a very cool at 56F-58F. Part of this is because of all the rain they recieved the previous week.

I caught one of the healthiest looking rainbows i've ever seen on the Brandywine River near Route 1 in Chadds Ford about a week ago.

Wow, that is really far down there! That's what like fifteen miles from the nearest stocking point? That's largemouth water down there.

How big was it? Do you think it was a holdover or one that was stocked this spring? I caught a pair of holdovers on the East Branch south of Downingtown in late May, and I thought that was unusual!

I caught a 20 + inch stocked brown in Hammer Creek while fishin for smallies. Even when im bass fishing the trout cant help but come my way :-D Hammer Creek in that section normally gets 80+ degrees in the summer. Absolutely amazing to catch a trout in that section in August.

I caught one of the healthiest looking rainbows i've ever seen on the Brandywine River near Route 1 in Chadds Ford about a week ago. Wow, that is really far down there! That's what like fifteen miles from the nearest stocking point? That's largemouth water down there. How big was it? Do you think it was a holdover or one that was stocked this spring? I caught a pair of holdovers on the East Branch south of Downingtown in late May, and I thought that was unusual!

Chadds Ford may be 15 miles below the nearest public stocking point, but it is not too far from the nearest private stocking point.

That is a hotspot for overlap bass & stocked trout.

Ah right forgot about those. IDK where the private stockings are exactly but I can easily believe that.

Wish someone would stock the East Branch down below the mouth of West Valley...especially for cool summers like this one was until recently. Can only imagine how big a holdover brown or rainbow could get in some of those deep holes- especially the ones with huge rocks and fast current...they could eat some of those fallfish at least!

Chadds Ford is just a bit too far away from me so I haven't fished down there. Farthest downstream I've gone is the confluence of the E and W branches, there are some nice bass down there. Still, surprised to hear there are trout there this late in the summer.

I have been catching rainbows as recently as yesterday in Ridley Creek, and the water was downright warm! First cast hit a 'bow in one hole.

Pocopson Creek gets stocked and flows into the river about 1 mile above where I caught him. The bow was about 14"-15". I usually catch trout out of the river every year, usually only about one or two and usually not after the 4th of July.

:hammer: Oops completely forgot about Pocopson! So my initial guess was only off by...14 miles. LOL

Btw that's a solid rainbow

I'd venture to say that a few friends and I probably fish various stretches of this river as much or more than anyone. As I mentioned in a post a few months ago, we caught trout well into November last year which, I believe, means they "held over". I have no doubt that trout hold over in the Brandywine and it's West Branch in very good numbers. I'm not familiar with the East Branch, but plan to give it a shot in September or after. For some reason, the East Branch doesn't seem all that appealing.

I haven't fished the main stem in Chadds Ford, but keep hearing stories of nice trout being picked up behind the River Museum in the area cited by TDB in his post. I should get out there since it's about five minutes from my house. LOL. While Pocopson is stocked a mile or two upstream from the museum, the "Club" also stocks the West Branch about seven miles or so up in the West Branch. The State of Delaware stocks a few small tributaries downstream. I have little doubt that these fish make their way into the main river and hold over there as well.

Buck Run, with a decent population of streambred browns, enters the West Branch near Mortonville and these fish also venture out into the bigger water. My point is that over the years, mostly through stocking, plenty of fish have been put into this stream which, by the way, is beautiful for long stretches and clean and crystal clear with aquatic life beyond any expectations. Couple this with the fact that trout, especially the dreaded rainbow (God forbid), are known to move up and downstream in excess of ten miles leads me to believe that there are more of them in the Brandywine and its West Branch than we might think.

I also believe that the survival instincts of these fish would lead them to seek out colder water near springs or heavily shaded areas than simply rollover and die in the warmer stretches. Where are all of these dead trout anyway?

Mike, since you started this, why don't we a schedule a time to sample sections of these streams to see what's there? I would be happy to help in anyway.

If you want to try the East Branch for holdover or stocked trout outside of the stocked section above Downingtown, I would suggest anywhere within a mile upstream and downstream of the mouth of W Valley Creek. As you get closer to Downingtown there are many long shallow runs and riffles and while they are closer to the stocking point they generally are too shallow and exposed to hold trout. Downstream from the w Valley mouth there are lots of deep pools often with "whitewater" at the dropoffs so these pools have extra oxygen which could help any trout that make it down that far to survive when temps are marginal. Aside from that there are a few long deep slow-moving runs that are great for smallies and panfish up to 9" and also some carp, although I have never caught one.

I have heard of trout caught as far downstream as the Stroud Preserve so I would say anywhere from there to a little upstream of the mouth of W Valley you have a shot at trout. If you are interested, this is also the best stretch for smallies, mostly 8-12" but a decent amount of larger ones.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Rook,

Great information. I'll definitely give that area a shot. Any suggestions on fly selection or would they be the "usual suspects"?

No problem!

I have to admit I have very limited experience fishing dry flies and at the moment don't really pay attention to hatches because i only have one dry left and I don't plan on getting more until next season. I just use buggers and streamers now, they catch plenty of fish. Smallies love olive buggers, they don't have to be too big, mine are size 8. Catches everything actually! One of the two trout trout I caught in that section this year was on the olive bugger, the other i wasn't FFing.

My first time ever FFing on a stream was in this section and with the bugger I hooked and lost a big rainbow right at the mouth of W Valley. It was easily 15" but being a noob at the time I did everything wrong lol and before I knew it he was gone. But it shows you don't have to be a master to hook these guys (although finding them may be tough at this time of year). The trout in that area really aren't targeted, I didn't even know they were there until this year, and I think they will go after pretty much anything that's not too big for their mouths. except dries, i really don't know about those.

I have caught some smallies on black clouser minnows too. Curlytail jigs are absolutely deadly when spinfishing so I would think any crayfish pattern would work just as well.

Just cast close to obvious cover, tree trunks, logs, brush, etc and the fish will eat whatever you are using.

If you have any more specific questions feel free to pm me!

For the record rainfall amounts are normal this year, nothing out of the ordinary. You can look it up.

Back