Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Estimating Water Depth

From State College
The ladyfriend is starting to get into FF, I was explaining the relationship between strike indicator and water depth, when she asked me "how do I get a good guess on how deep the water is when you can't see the bottom?" I wasn't too sure how to answer that (I didn't want to tell her it was a sixth sense) Any ideas??

Thanks. Brian

Posted on: 2013/4/24 0:50

Re: Estimating Water Depth

From Eastern PA
Probably too deep. Move to areas where fish are feeding.

Just my opinion.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 2:24

From Ferguson Twp.
With many reasons for not being able to see the bottom the sixth sense you speak of comes with experience dunking flies, which you definitely already have, but like you say tough to convey.When I can't see the bottom of the stream I figure 2- 3 feet above the nymph to start, if I'm not catching the bottom, I adjust weight and distance until I start ticking bottom. Sometimes you just can't get there with an indy depending on depth and current speed.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 6:17

From Monessen, PA
You can drift the area without an indicator and see how long it takes to get your nymph to the bottom, then place the indicator.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 6:25

From Ohio
Quote:
You can drift the area without an indicator and see how long it takes to get your nymph to the bottom, then place the indicator.

If my guess at depth and adjustments don't get me in the zone, I do as Jack suggested and remove the indicator for a drift to get a true sense of depth. If you hang up, move your rod tip so that it is directly above the fly so the leader is perfectly vertical and you know exactly how deep the water is.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 7:11

From NE OH
I just step out into the run and measure the high mark on my waders. Have I mentioned fishing has been really slow for me for a while now

Posted on: 2013/4/24 7:37

From New Castle, PA
Geuss and make adjustments to your indicator position and amount of split shot until you get things running the way you want.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 8:14

From LV
A wading staff!
It can be even more deceiving when wading a clear stream. Because of the many properties of water, fraction, and reflection, the streambed can look closer to you then it actually is, and appears shallow in places where the streambed is dropping away from you. In short it is very deceiving when wading in eddies. I don't now if that explains it enough, but that's what I see.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 8:37

From Philadelphia PA
I would try to explain that in clear water usually the bluer the water the deeper it tends to be. If the water is slightly stained not to underestimate it's depth proceed with extreme caution. And water that is deeply stained it maybe best to stay away even in familiar waterways.

It is more of a trained behavior than a 6th sense that guides you to understand water depth. Some people go through multiple soakings before they understand this. And even then, we will still challenge ourselves and our surroundings from time to time by standing on our tip -e- toes to get to a location.

Polorized glasses really make a difference in what you see and percieve.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 10:51
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From State College
Quote:
You can drift the area without an indicator and see how long it takes to get your nymph to the bottom, then place the indicator

I usually don't nymph with an indicator(or I'll use my leader as one), but thats not the best way to start. For example, on a run in a limestoner when you have the green tint and the surface choppiness, I can look at it usually and pretty accurately gauge the depth to start. Is that just all experience?

Thanks for all the responses.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 12:21

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

mario66pens wrote:
Quote:
You can drift the area without an indicator and see how long it takes to get your nymph to the bottom, then place the indicator

I usually don't nymph with an indicator(or I'll use my leader as one), but thats not the best way to start. ...

I don't get this. The best way to reach the right depth or variable depth is to not use an indicator, but you are training someone else to use one? Sorry, but that makes little sense to me.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 12:43

From Philadelphia PA
So sorry, my wording carried on from the wading stick topic and safety. For my presentation with a nypmh and dry fly dropper, I guesstemate the depth pretty well. It seams to always work best when I over estimate - giving the nymph more bottom ticking.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 13:02
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From florida
This might be an answer. GG

Attach file:

jpg  depth finder.jpg (17.44 KB)
1159_517810c10335e.jpg 300X300 px

Posted on: 2013/4/24 13:05

From State College
I'm not sure how it's not clear, it's easier to learn to detect strikes with indicator than without, that's why I'm starting her with an indicator

Posted on: 2013/4/24 13:44

From Monessen, PA
But is it easier to GET strikes? Is that why you don't use one? Why not make it easy on yourself to detect strikes by using one? And, for a final question, don't you still miss a bunch of strikes without an indicator, even in light of your advanced skill levels?

Posted on: 2013/4/24 13:52

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com