HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Estimating Water Depth

From NE OH
Quote:

JackM wrote:
....don't you still miss a bunch of strikes without an indicator, even in light of your advanced skill levels?

Use the Force Jack....Your strike indicators can deceive you. Don't trust them. Stretch out with your feelings!

Posted on: 2013/4/24 14:28

From State College
Quote:
But is it easier to GET strikes? Is that why you don't use one? Why not make it easy on yourself to detect strikes by using one? And, for a final question, don't you still miss a bunch of strikes without an indicator, even in light of your advanced skill levels?

I don't use one because it was the way I learned, my granddad thought that "bobbers" were for bank napping bait fisherman. I use where the line enters the water as my indicator, I have a system that works for me and I'm perfectly happy with it. I believe when nymphing in general you miss a good many strikes, its just the game. So yes I do miss a good many strikes, but I also am able to detect a good many.

I've been FF for about 10 years and every time I go out on the water, I'm humbled by how much I don't know. It's easy to feel like a beginner all the time in fly fishing (thats the beauty of it.) But, my girlfriend doesn't have any of the FF experience yet and that being that, I believe there would be less of a learning curve to learn to indicator nymph than not.

I'm just used to seeing water and thinking "that's 3 ft deep," and I was unable to explain how I knew that.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 14:38

From Monessen, PA
Well, finding the right drift without an indicator is a matter of experience, I think, but I thought your question was how to explain it. Since your experience in finding the right depth comes from going without a bobber/indicator, I would try to teach that to her. Anyhow, interesting thoughts, is all.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 14:46

From Philadelphia PA
Sometimes when the water is a: extremely deep or b: the trout are real spooky, I don't use an indicator. Even a suttle fly coming in, sometimes spooks them. (maybe its the double pop) When either of these two conditions are present, I keep the line as slackfree as possible. And keep the rod tip following as close to the waterline as possible.

I will miss probably the majority of strikes, because it takes a second or so for the strike to travel up the line and by that time the trout can sense somethings wrong and spit the nymph back out before I can set the hook. (usually when my hands are cold it's best to use an indicator and wait for it to drop).

Still for someone who is just starting out, it's best to match the hatch sort of speaking. If she is being coached with an indicator, your set up should be the same while you are coaching. Even using the same flyrods maybe important - When I started teaching my girlfriend how to flyfish we had different rods. When I hooked a fish and handed her the rod - she felt how light and powerful it was (forget the fish) I had to purchase the same one for her.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 14:51
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From State College
Quote:
If she is being coached with an indicator, your set up should be the same while you are coaching.

Thanks Jack and Pennypack, I shouldve consider that, I'll put it into practice tomorrow on spring.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 20:05

From LV
Just my opinion, I always thought it easier to detect the strike without an indicator. I use the leader connection, but believe me most take are missed anyway, weather you use an indicator or not.
I'm just glad my partner has no interest in F-fing, whe'd drive me nuts with questions.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 20:23

From Landenberg, PA
find a pebble/ stone, drill a hole in it. tye 2ft of 5x to it. to that add 1ft of stren or fireline, add 1ft of 4x, add a loop and loop to leader.

cast your drift. you'll see how much of the 4x and leader go under.

this is trick i use on wide deep rivers. its not for pool hopping.

i was once fishing the Cocheco up in NH one winter and i thought i was fishing in 4-5ft and fishing my indicator accordingly. no joy. drilled the stone at home and went back the next weekend.

i was fishing 8-9ft !

changed my tippet - 3 fat stocked bows in about an hour.

i do occasionally walk a stream in the winter and 'plumb' a few deep holes and make notes on my phone. some of the 'white water' holes can be incredibly deep. 5ft instead of 3ft etc.

I use a stone instead of a sinker because its more natural and if i snag it no biggie - and i've lost a few to trees - which again i make a note to fish downstream of a lob upwards, which is a favorite place of big browns to hunker down. I'd also rather lose a stone than a couple of shot and/or a two tungsten (expensive) beaded nymph.

i like big prince nymphs (#12/#14) or a #16 egg in winter.

HTH.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 18:20

From Landenberg, PA
Quote:

PennypackFlyer wrote:

I will miss probably the majority of strikes, because it takes a second or so for the strike to travel up the line and by that time the trout can sense somethings wrong and spit the nymph back out before I can set the hook. (usually when my hands are cold it's best to use an indicator and wait for it to drop).

try 3-ft of berkley fireline crystal (its clear braid) between your tippet and leader, or you could be really brave and use 6ft of BFC nail knotted to your fly line and a 3ft tippet.

for deep nymphing i NEVER use loops connections.

it is thicker than flouro true, but in cold deep water the fishes don't seem to mind it.

you can also use the set up for weighted streamer fishing (clousers/buggers) for bass or small stripers.

it really improves the connection imho.

btw - you'll need a fast action rod. 5wt at least. tried it with 4, it didn't like it. can use a 6wt even.

HTHT.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 18:32

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com