Erebuddy Feeshin?

JackM

JackM

Staff member
Must be a perfect day across the state. I envy you all. Just a year or so ago, I fished every chance I got. Now, I am fishing too little. I miss watching the hatches, chasing the risers, guessing the patterns, and tricking the trouts. Have any of you long-time fly anglers ever gone through a slump where "getting out" just wasn't as important as it once was? Is this the beginning of a more selective career or will the funk pass and the old enthusiasm be renewed? If you had to burst out of such a slump, how did you do it? Just do it?

:-D

Attachments

• Just do it.jpg
    Just do it.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 2
Why do you think you are in a slump jack? What you need is a good fishing buddy who will simply show up at the casa de Jack and not take no for an answer

A fly fishing intervention of sorts.

Dear Jack,

I've had 3 or 4 prolonged slumps over a 35 year span of fly fishing. They simply do just come and go.

The onset of a slump can never be accurately predicted, and you'll have no more luck predicting the end of a slump.

My most recent slump was lifted by a prompt from a fellow board member to try some local smallmouth creeks. Longwader had been talking to me for a couple of years about places to try and finally I relented. I joined him in early May on a local stream. I hung some nice smallmouth and definitely felt re-energized and invigorated.

Since then I have been out fly fishing several other times, with mixed success, but I can at least say it seems interesting to me once again. I've spent a few nights tying flies too, which is something I had rarely done in the past few years.

Unfortunately, weather seems to play a bigger role nowadays too. It seems that in the past few years every Thursday evening brought a torrent of rain that ruined streams with high muddy water. Years ago I would have just driven 200 miles one way to find good water, but diesel fuel was 99 cents a gallon back then. Now I try to limit my excursions to times when conditions are most favorable, I'm not wasting $ 50.00 - $ 60.00 on gas on the if come.

Perhaps the biggest reason for slump periods, for me at least, is the lack of an inspirational fly fishing partner. My brother Terry was my main fishing bud and we fished 45 + weekends a year for over a decade.

He moved to CO in 1997 and as much as I don't like to say it, he took more than a little bit of me with him. My fishing interest went to less than zero when he departed. Fortunately I had some buddies that pestered me to fish so I found a way to muddle through.

Now I have a fiancee'/girlfriend, and for all intents and purposes other than the legal ones, "wife" that enjoys fishing. She enjoys it to the extent that I bought a boat and we spent weekends fishing local lakes for sunnies and crappies and the occasional bass or pickerel. It's not fly fishing, but it's still fishing.

In closing all I can tell you is to just let the slump take it's course. You'll have an "Aha!" day again and things will return to what you previously considered to be normal.

Take care dude,

Tim Murphy :)

Not fishing this weekend. Just too d@mn windy for me. Have been out enough to satisfy me so far this year but all too often it still seems like the weather didn't cooperate for me.

My "slumps" mostly come about due to the distance it takes to get to better trout waters. Sometimes it's just hard for make to make the commitment. Fortunately I "rediscovered" some nearby smallmouth fishing last summer/fall.

Jack,

Been in a slump for close to six years now...

Hank

You might be getting OLD, naw, just need an attitude adjustment.
You just did the Jam,so why the funk? Gg

Went through a similar stretch about 3 years ago. I so enjoyed preparing for a day on the water the night before only to find myself doing anything but fishing the next day. No apparent physical issue, I just wasn't doing the things that once brought my joy. It was driving me crazy. It was as though my backside could not escape the magnetic field on my favorite recliner.

After friends and family expressed concern about my health, I went to see my doctor. He told me I had low T (testosterone deficiency). Since getting on medication, my activity level is better and I feel 10 years younger.

Jack,
I'd fallen into a similar funk a few years back. The house, the job, the family, the whatever. I was fishing 4-5 days a year. It sucked! It was no way to spend my life. But a board member was putting together a mini JAM. I went. I met other board members, who invited me out on January 1st of all days. And the more I fished, the more I wanted to fish. Last year I fish more than I had in a long time. I've come to realize, one day they'll chuck my carcass into a hole and the work won't be done, but I will be. So today I might as well go fishing. Hope I see you there!

Jack -

From the old young rascals song:

"I was feeling kinda bad - I asked my family doctor just what I had.
I said doctor - DOCTOR - Mr MD
Can you tell me - what's ailing me?

He said - yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah - YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH
Indeed - all you really need - IS TRUE LOVING!

I have slumps where I can't find the time to fish. That's a little different, because I still WANT to fish, the rest of life just gets in the way.

But when it comes to emotional slumps, i.e. not caring to fish, a good brookie outing brings me out of it. The big stream thing gets kind of old hat. Predict hatch, go to stream, find hatch, catch fish. Rinse, repeat. It loses it's luster over time. They're just fish eating bugs! But deep green woods, a long hike, a small brook, perhaps a waterfall or two, agressive fish charging across a pool to smack a dry. There's something emotionally "raw" about it. At some point of the day you set yourself down on a rock somewhere, and it feels like that's exactly where you belong. It recharges my spirit.

Do whatever you're interested in.

Unless what you're interested in might put you in jail.

Never experienced that Jack because I never have had the chance to grow tired of it. I, like pcray, have had times when I couldn't find the time to go, which I'm going through right now.

But for me, every time I'm out, I feel renewed. And I can't wait until the next time I can get out again. I guess it's because fishing is not just something that I do. It's more like something that I am.

Jack,

I feel your pain. This year I have been so busy with "life" stuff that fishing has fallen by the wayside. I just bought my license last week, missed the Jam and have yet to wet a line. I have even been absent from this board. Things look like they are changing for the better but you never can tell. The fish-i-tice is getting pretty bad.

dryflyguy wrote:
all you really need - IS TRUE LOVING!

Good lovin. Of course it could be argued you need true lovin to get good lovin but I tend to think not.

"Any love is good love-- so I took what I could get...."

BTO

Jack - Male Menopause?

tl
les

take up the pipe again - that will straighten things back up

Back