Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Epic Heavyweight Battle

From Codorus, PA
I've debated adding this post for a few weeks...so here goes.

Two months ago I stopped to check out some water that looked fishy...my first cast I landed a nice 10" brown and with each subsequent cast more very nice brownies - all told 8 fish in 15 minutes.

...and this is the tale of my epic heavyweight battle

**Round 1**
So I go back - same experience and I think to myself this place is a hidden treasure with no pressure...and then it happened - the epic battle began. My dropper fly dipped into the water and I set the hook only to think I got snagged on a rock - my line would not move and then I realized there was a very large fish on...I could not move this fish and finally I caught a quick glimpse of her butter belly before she shot under a cut out in the rocks...in my haste I waded into the stream trying to land this trout from under the rock...the fight continued and then she quickly/smartly managed to snap my line against the rocks and she was gone...

Lesson Learned:
Do not wade into the water trying to net a fish that goes up and under the rocks.

**Round 2**
I go back about a week later - directly to the same spot with the hopes of connecting with this monster. Second cast and BAM she is on the line - there is no mistaking this trout - the fight began...this time she tried to go under the rock cut out but I was able to keep her away - so her Plan B was to race down stream to another cut out of rocks...as I caught a glimpse of her shadow racing through the water I was awe struck - she is a very nice trout especially given the size of the water. This round was more intense and lasted 25 seconds but she is very smart and spit the hook...

Lesson Learned:
It is true - brownies like there territory and if you find them there once they are likely to be there again

**Round 3**
I give it another 2 weeks and go back. This time was rather uneventful - there were a couple of strikes on my nymph but I came up empty handed.

Lesson Learned:
Trout really are unpredictable

**Round 4**
Today I am running on some errands and my route takes me past the home of the monster - I have to stop and I do. 5th cast and BAM she is on again, but I know her tricks, I was able to block her go to move and did not let her swim to the first rock outcrop, and I knew she would race down stream to the lower rock outcrop, and I was able to defend this tatic as well and then it happened...I pulled her up into very shallow water and we were eye to eye...I thought to myself this is it I'm finally going to land this monster (she is beautiful - length/girth/color). So I go for my net and it is locked...I am face to face with this trout and I can't scoop her up because my freaking net won't move...so I go to unlock the net and just like that she laughs in my face and breaks the line....

So it continues...my stalking of the monster. I really hope I can land this fish so I can share some photos of her on here.

Here are some photos of the stream and another brownie that I pulled out after Round #4 today.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_4114.JPG (160.41 KB)
6541_51fdad90ae77b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  IMG_4117.JPG (162.42 KB)
6541_51fdadcc0a899.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  IMG_4112.JPG (137.69 KB)
6541_51fdade762e6d.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/8/3 21:29

Re: Epic Heavyweight Battle

From SW PA (Pittsburgh Area)
Looks like a nice little stream. Good luck next time!

Posted on: 2013/8/3 22:27

From Chester County
Have you tried using at least 2x tippet? Might be a good idea next time!

Posted on: 2013/8/3 23:46

From North East PA
Great post. Looking forward to the next chapter!

Posted on: 2013/8/4 7:20

"Hey, Wait, that rock is moving" - Pat D, Newbie Jam, 3/16/13

From Schuylkill County
Let the adventure continue...looking forward to the next episode.
Thanks for sharing.
John

Posted on: 2013/8/4 8:17
if you look at it right...

From Stroudsburg (Poconos)
Great story. I would lose sleep over that. If you're hooking into your biggun in the same stretch of water in the pictures, it looks prime for size 8-10 streamer stripped back to the small water fall along either bank. You can get away with heavy tippet with stripping a streamer.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 9:06

From Southwestern NY
Heck yeah! That fish will be a life time memory caught or not! Awesome story and I hope she make you earn her! Good luck with your beast!

Posted on: 2013/8/4 10:00

From SW PA
Here's hoping this heavyweight battle ends with a knock- out photo!

Posted on: 2013/8/4 10:30

From Lancaster
This is a good read! Big fish like this one have a way of reeling us in. Be persistent but also patient. Sounds like this fish likes to eat. That's an ace in the hole for you. Don't get into a rut - vary your approach, technique or offering. In other words - throw it a change up. I really hope you can close the deal on it. Can't wait to see the photo. Good luck.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 13:55

From Ohio
Great story, thanks for sharing. Big fish like that don't give you too many chances, make the next one count. Millsertime had a good idea, give the streamer a shot. Big fish love meat and the heavier tippet will help your cause. Good luck and let us know how things shake out.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 22:15

Reading this makes me grin. I know I have had several similar experiences with big fish. The second after they get away is probably the single worst moment of your life up until that point--just for that instant. After that, I would always laugh a little to myself, and tip my cap to the victor. It does add a little bit of tense excitement everytime you approach that stretch of water in the future. I agree with the heavier tippet. It was a game changer for me to switch from 5x to 4x when nymphing for "the big one" everytime I located them on Spring. Now that you have seen it up close, how big is it?

Posted on: 2013/8/5 8:58

From Landenberg, PA
good story.

i'd try a tandem rig cast up and across - big caddis or stimmie with a small weighted streamer as a dropper attached with a loop knot.

4x should be fine in that fast white water imho.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 18:59

From Codorus, PA
Appreciate all of the feedback/suggestions! Glad folks are enjoying the tale of the monster!

Here is the latest:

**Round 5**

Went out late this afternoon - cloudy with some drizzle here in Southern York County - started with a Royal Wulff and a BHPT dropper - landed a 8" brownie on my first cast. I continued and the monster hit the BHPT only to immediately spit it out. A few casts later there was a first - she actually went for the Wulff...although it was just a tease...she just wanted to show herself, laugh at me and then dive deep never to been seen again...at least for today. And so the game of cat and mouse continues.

I did end up changing flys a few times but I think she was on to me after rising to the Wulff...

I went with 4X this time.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 21:49

From Landenberg, PA
there's a thought - a mouse fly...

Posted on: 2013/8/6 22:04

From Lancaster County
Quote:

geebee wrote:
there's a thought - a mouse fly...

+10

I'd be back there at night with a mouse fly or a gurgler or popper or hopper or anything that floats and displaces water. It would be a bit of a challenging fish for me at night, given the amount of trees and weeds I managed to catch during the day And there doesn't look like there is a lot of room to maneuver. But catching the fish at night with a stealthy approach would only make the story grow.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 22:37

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com