Elk Creek Smallmouth

jgmcclain

jgmcclain

All,

My fiancé and my self are planning an Elk Creek trip this upcoming weekend to case some warm water small mouth. I've never been to the area, other then spending some time in the Slippery Rock creek in the spring during my collage years. My questions are regarding the Small bass in the area, the creek depth, boat requirements, recommendations and sum such, in short I'm looking for the over a beer fishing recommendations with out the beer, unless your from the Harrisburg area, then I'll be more then happy to get you a draft for the info.

Thank and good fishing
Jake

Do you mean Elk Creek as in the Lake Erie trib at Girard?

If so, there are far better flowing water smallmouth destinations in the area.

There are resident SMB in the creek as far up as Sterrettania, but I can't ever remember seeing one over 11" and the vast majority are closer to 6".

Or maybe you mean the big lake itself...?

Elk Creek as in the Lake Erie Trib

Coneaut Creek is probably better, but that is just an educated guess. Most of the tributaries are shale bottom, shallow, small, and kinda featureless. Conneaut Creek is the only one with a significant sand bottom.

Go to www.fisherie.com

they have maps and descriptions of all the Erie tribs in PA.

Elk Creek might be Ok up near the mouth, but i think most of the stream would be a waste of time for smallmouth. I could be wrong though.

The ramp at the Elk Creek access area can handle smaller boats.

http://www.fishusa.com/FishErie/Map4.asp

JG: I'm a little confused, but I'd like to be able to help you if I can.

You mention "boat requirements", but then you say your interest is in the stream, not the lake.

The stream is characterized by long shallow runs over shale interspersed with occasional deeper pools which are interspersed with seemingly interminable long shallow flats that this time of year will probably average about 9" deep. It isn't "boatable" in any definition of the word I'm familiar with.

As Dave noted, you can launch a boat out of Elk Creek Access into the Lake. But that doesn't seem to be what you plan to do.

So, here is a quick look at the flowing water smallmouth opportunities in the area. I'll limit it to Erie County and the northern half of Crawford County:

As dave noted, Conneaut Creek is a pretty good smallmouth fishery in the lower 7 or 8 miles of its section in PA. Then it enters Ohio and I know nothing about that water. But there are lots of bass from the first bridge above where the creek crosses US 6 down to the state line and this water is easily waded. Above this section, Conneaut Creek is mostly a deep trench though all the way up to Albion at least.

The best bass stream in the area by far is French Creek. I haven't lived in the area in a while, so I can't help with access very much. But as far as I know, most of the bridge crossings on the creek remain open to anglers who are curteous and don't leave a trail of litter.

The bass fishing in French Creek is good all the way from the junction of the branches at Wattsburg down to Meadville. Actually, it's good all the way to the mouth at Franklin, but I'm only talking about the northern half of the drainage here. There is generally good public access (as well as some of the best bass habitat in the creek) in the section that roughly parallels US19 from Venango down to Meadville. Generally... This section includes a PFBC access at the south end of Saegertown.

The Erie County section (from Wattsburg down to the approx vicinity of the junctions of US6 and US19 south of Waterford) is a little more iffy access wise, but still fairly open I believe.

The only section of French Creek not really worth exploring for bass is the stretch that brackets Cambridge Springs in northern Crawford County. It's a long slow trench and is good walleye, pike , musky and snapping turtle water. As noted before, there are smallmouth in the upstream portions of Elk Creek, but they generally run pretty, no make that very, small. Even smaller than the normal size distribution in a creek bass population. Additionally, it can be a long, long way between fishable pools, especially this time of year.

Hope this helps...

I don't know why, but i forgot about French Creek. I guess I was thinking Lake Erie Tribs, but French Creek would be a bettr choice. another one would be the upper parts of Oil Creek. I've never fished there, but I have seen it (slow water), and have been told it is pretty good bass fishing.

Even though RLeeP is now a cheesehead, he knows more about that area of PA than anyone I know, especially when it comes to smallmouth. So, I would go with whatever he says. I just know Elk Creek would not be my first choice for smallmouth in that area, or second or third... The lake itself would be my first choice. The channel from the boat ramp to the lake might be OK, I don't know. There is a bait and tackle shop not far from the entrance to the park where the boat ramp is. I don't remember the name excpet Elk Creek is part of the name. Maybe you can get a phone number from the web site i provided. they might give you some info on fishing that channel if that is where you decide to go.

P.S. If the lake and the crick are low, I wouldn't try launching anything substantial from that ramp.

Back