Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

Electroshocking survey on Little "J"

From On the banks of the "j"
The PFBC began their long awaited survey today on the "j". The first stretch surveyed was from the Barree bridge (currently being replaced) upstream for approximatrely 300 meters. Over 400 trout were caught measured and marked. They ranged from 3 inch YOY to several over 18 inches. Many fish were in the 14 to 15 inch range, all with broad shoulders and very healthy! Now for the good news....out of the 400+ only 6 were adipose fin clipped hatchery stock! Of the 6 only 2 were from last May's stocking the rest were 3 to 5 inches and from this May's release!

In the afternoon we went upstream to the Pemberton Quarry stretch. This time we surveyed apptroximately the same length of water with similar results. Again over 400 trout caught and measured, this time there were 16 fin clipped hatchery fish, all but 4 of which were from this May's stocking. The 2nd stretch surveyed is just below the tailout pool which held more than 40 redds when we surveyed last November, so we expected lots of wild fingerlings and we found them! We'll wait for the final results, but based on the preliminary info, it is fair to say that "what we have here is a "Wild Trout Fishery".

The survey will continue for two more days with tommorow afternoon at Shoenberger's bridge around 1 pm for anyone interested in observing. A confirming count will be made in each area (9am tommorow back to Barree stretch) which will provide statistical data allowing an estimate of total population numbers and distribution. Many thanks to the PFBC biologists who participated. This was really hard work made more difficult by the large numbers of trout that were handled. I was there watching the entire time and I did not see a single trout that did not swim away apparently unharmed. I will place lots of pictures on the LJRA website Gallery. littlejuniata.org

Bill Anderson
Little Juniata River Association

Posted on: 2010/8/2 21:34

Re: Electroshocking survey on Little "J"

From Pittsburgh
great to hear!!!

Posted on: 2010/8/2 22:13

From blair county
I too was also there to see this i was amazed with the amount of fish in the short distance done. Its great to see all the wild fish in there hopefully now we can get somewhere with the wild trout fishery instead of them saying it doesn't support wild trout. If by any chance you can make it Tuesday or Wednesday its well worth it.

Posted on: 2010/8/2 23:33

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
Thanks for the good news Bill. Any wild rainbows in the survey so far? I've caught a few suspected wild rainbows the last couple years.

Posted on: 2010/8/2 23:39

From blair county
When I was there in the morning one small wild bow turned up and 2 stockers

Posted on: 2010/8/3 0:26

From Monessen, PA
If that data is accurate, I retract all prior statements to the contrary. I was one who felt that natural reproduction in the Little Juniata was very minimal. This data says otherwise. I have never been more glad to be proved wrong.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 6:17

From New Castle, PA
Move over Spring Creek...

Posted on: 2010/8/3 8:33

From Berks County
That is great news. I always thought the fish I have caught sure looked wild. That makes that fishery even better.

Troy

Posted on: 2010/8/3 8:48

From Gettysburg
Bill A,
This is great news. Many thanks to you and your crew for all the good work you've done as stewards of the LJ.
By chance, did the PFBC folks indicate whether the survey will be posted on their website and, if so, roughly when?

Posted on: 2010/8/3 8:52

Over Memorial Day Weekend I caught several of the clipped fingerlings in the George Harvey section of Spruce Creek.

By that time the Little J. was already experiencing 70+ degree water temps.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 8:56

From Potter County
Well, doesn't look like stocking the Little J is hurting the wild population any. Maybe helping it by adding forage.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 9:06

From Bozeman
I am curious about the reason why this survey was done in mid summer. I am assuming that the survey would not be done unless stream temps were low enough to safely handle the fish, but I'm curious if this was a big concern. I would have expected the water to be too warm.

Nevertheless, it's great news!

Posted on: 2010/8/3 9:33

From The Hilton
Shocking works much better with low clear water! I'm sure the biologist took the temps into consideration as well and felt that shocking the fish would cause little to no harm. I've never fished the J but this is good news!

Posted on: 2010/8/3 10:13

Over in NJ they shock in late summer (August/September). Partly because of the low water, but also to filter out the stockies that don't adapt. The biologists want to get a picture of wild and hold-over fish - not fish just dumped in. It is generally surprising to see how few stocked fish make it even in the better streams.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 10:27

A central PA limestone stream has wild trout in it?

Who would have thunk?

Posted on: 2010/8/3 10:33

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com