Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

Re: Electroshocking survey on Little "J"
From Chester County
Great news from Bill A. We can thank him as others in their org. for helping making this happen. I peeked on the LJRC site and found some pics:

http://www.littlejuniata.org/river_co ... lbum&id=16&mode=slideshow

Great to see some good news about our streams and rivers. Thanks Bill (and the guys).

Posted on: 2010/8/3 11:00

From blair county
FI The results will be posted online on the LJRA site and the commission site I would Imagine the LJRA will have it up first

Jayl The stream temps was 62 63 when started yesterday they was doing the warmest sections in the morning and being 63 degrees was fine the other sections being done run cooler the commission has 2 different sites with temps being taking every 15 mins that they monitor. It was done this time of year because it was easier to do with the low stream conditions.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 11:51

From Bozeman
Thanks

Posted on: 2010/8/3 12:27

Awesome "news". Keep up the good work Bill!

Posted on: 2010/8/3 14:54

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Great news. Assuming it confirms, I will happily eat crow with Jack.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 16:29

This is good news. I will be curious to see the official results once the PFBC parses the data. I can only imagine how difficult it is to get a population assessment on larger waters, but from the pics, it looks like the PFBC had a pretty good crew out folks assisting.

For folks who witnessed, did you see many fish feel the shock then manage to escape being netted?

Posted on: 2010/8/3 18:01

From blair county
I seen quite a few dodge the netting and getting by but they are doing the same sites twice marking the fish the first time so they know what fish was already accounted for

Posted on: 2010/8/3 18:07

This is definitely great news. One thing to consider, and just to provide some findings on the fingerling study from the Lehigh and how it may relate to the Little J.... was the fingerlings didn't really show up well during electro shocking events. There was better evidence of survival from actualy angling surveys.

However, the Lehigh and Little J are completely different animals. That said, don't give up on looking for those fingerlings. Maybe this fall or next spring, all of a sudden those fin clippies may start showing up???

Posted on: 2010/8/3 18:10

From Montgomery County
Good news and I agree with LR. As one guy noted he caught some in Spruce. Maybe the hatchery fish aren't as tolerant as the wild fish and are concentrated in differen't areas...

Posted on: 2010/8/3 18:19

From LV
There are some on the board that have been saying it was a wild trout fishery all along, to name one TB.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 20:01

From Dallastown, PA
Told ya so.......

Posted on: 2010/8/3 23:25

From blair county
LR They are testing each site twice to make sure hardly any fish is missed so its pretty accurate that the fingerlings aren't surviving just "expensive fish food" to the native big browns in there.

This is a wild trout fishery with no doubts a high quality cold water stream some may not agree but with all the studies I been apart of and all the facts on paper I don't know how anyone could argue the facts.

Posted on: 2010/8/4 0:09

From New Castle, PA
I have a couple questions regarding the surveying...

1) Is anything being done to ID adult trout as wild vs. fingerling stocked? If the adult fish can be ID as wild, this would further support the idea of a primarily wild trout fishery. On the other hand, if a significant number of the adult fish were determined to be of stocked origin, it would seem to point towards a problem with the surveying methods or poor fingerling survival this year.

2) Is the fin clipping and surveying going to be repeated over the course of several years? This goes back to the possibility of a problem with the surveying or poor fingerling survival. I don't think anyone woudl argue against the same results for multiple consecutive years.

Kev

Posted on: 2010/8/4 0:25

From lancaster county
Awesome news!

Now just imagine how good it could be if they cease stocking all those fingerlings

Posted on: 2010/8/4 2:21

From Pgh
Fantastic! Makes me wonder how many other streams -- limestone or not -- that have been assumed to rely on stocking really doesn't really need to?

Posted on: 2010/8/4 8:25

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com