Early season stocking

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

I haven't seen a 2007 stocking list yet but I know a couple lakes in my area have a stocking at the end of february and are open durring the month of march for an early season. Do they strictly stock the lakes or would they also do the surrounding streams or is it different for everything?

I've only seen that in lakes, but then again i haven't looked too hard.

Usually you can just call the commission to get the status of a waterway. They should also put up new "APPROVED TROUT WATER" signs when they do the preseason stocking. The signs usually give you open/close dates.

If you live in SE PA there is a new Early Opening day, it's the last Saturday in March. They will be stocking then, they also stock the DH areas as early as they can im March.

The February stockings are termed the "Winter Trout Stockings" by the PFBC. It is exclusively in lakes and reservoirs if I'm not mistaken. Many of these have the regulations allowing fishing through March 31.

From what I understood was that it was basically lakes/resevoirs just because they dont want to send men down along the icy snow covered banks with buckets of trout. Course global warming could change that. You might consider the Breeches. Although they (YBAC) generally only advertises certain dates, I've been there when they stock unadvertised dates. Usually once a month at 400 trout with approx. 4 2 yr olds and 2 3 yr olds. I liked helping and they have an awesome nursery but it was usually a friday morning.

Back