Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Dry Flies...

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Let me as a question now that we're talking about presentations. When i first started casting a fly rod I found it easier to cast side arm rather than overhead. In an upstream presentation i found this helpful (if i can control it) because when i cast, the flyline is flipped at the end and not directly behind the dry. don't quite know the ramifications of the line being in a different drift than the fly but i like it. Now i can only do this with enough room and like it when i have obstructions in the way. Don't know why but it just felt more comfortable and i could cast longer distances... maybe my timing is just better that way. Just wondering what everyone else thinks.

Posted on: 2007/2/22 10:56

From Southeast PA
Do you mean that it's hooked at the end, like the end of a cane? This actually is a specialized cast, where you make it hook or curve at the end by casting sidearm and overpowering the forward cast a bit to make it hook. Depending on the situation, it can be very effective in presenting the fly first with no leader/tippet floating over a spooky trout, or it can help avoid drag for a bit because there is some leader upstream of the fly, or it can get the fly behind a rock, etc. Actually I also like a more sidearm or quarter-arm cast because it's more natural for me, but like I keep saying, different situations call for different tecniques.

Posted on: 2007/2/22 11:21

From Bozeman
After seeing a few casting demonstrations at various outdoor shows over the last year, I no longer feel bad about my quarter/sidearm casting. It's just the way my arm works.... and I'm apparently not alone.

Posted on: 2007/2/22 11:57

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
yeah thats pretty much it. I can kind of compare it to throwing a baseball side arm. you get a little bit of action, thus making the leader curve at the end of the cast. I probably did it more on accident than on purpose... but if you say it's a specialized cast maybe i'm just a natural pro lol. I actually worked a little bit doing it on my back cast too for equal but opposite conditions... being able to flip it the other way. More just being bored when the fish weren't biting...

Ryan

Posted on: 2007/2/22 12:01

From Southeast PA
I accidentally used the curve cast before I knew it was a specialized cast, too! The experts even have articles on how to do it: http://flyfisherman.com/skills/jrcurvecast/

Here are some instructions on the reach cast: http://flyfisherman.com/skills/jbreachmend/

Posted on: 2007/2/22 12:37

From Berks County
I also have a specialized cast. I sometimes try to change it, but I decided that it works so why change. I think whatever feels comfortable is what you should stick with.

Troy

Posted on: 2007/2/22 13:41

From aliquippa
yeah it really doesn`t matter if you cast vertical, quarter side arm or complete side arm, as long as you load the rod , look at lefty kreh he casts side arm

Posted on: 2007/2/22 13:50

What everyone has said plus one more thing. I was told by a good friend recently to build my own leaders with softer mono such as Climax II or even Orvis SS. No Maxima. Which I did just to see what all the soft leader fuss was about... I found it really does work. There is a string attached. My accuracy at first suffered. I learned that I needed to develop a slightly stronger "punch" stroke to help maintain accuracy. But the landings are softer and more snake-like which really helps the fly ride high and drag-free. Works for me anyhow.

Posted on: 2007/2/22 15:24

From aliquippa
some people use hard mono in the butt section to help with accuracy, and distance, sorta like a hinge point

Posted on: 2007/2/22 16:09

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com