Dropper fly setup..??

AznFlyFisherman1

AznFlyFisherman1

Hey guys, just wondering, if you guys use the dropper fly setup in PA? IF you do what do you usually use? AS for me I like to use stimulaters for the top fly and some kinda beaded head for the dropper fly. I guess the length of the dropper will be determined on what streams or river your fishing. Is this affective up there in the PA trout streams? thanx..guys..

I use a dropper for most of my fishing, at least when I get started to see what the fish want. You pick the combination, should work. I mix and match quite frequently. "Try it, you'll like it."

Steve

AznFlyFisherman1 wrote:
Hey guys, just wondering, if you guys use the dropper fly setup in PA? IF you do what do you usually use? AS for me I like to use stimulaters for the top fly and some kinda beaded head for the dropper fly. I guess the length of the dropper will be determined on what streams or river your fishing. Is this affective up there in the PA trout streams? thanx..guys..

for regular stream trout, I rarely use them because I feel that they increase my chances of foul hooking. But they are effective, and when it is very slow, I will occasionally use a similar setup as you described. Great for searching bigger water, too.

I'll use them more often for steelhead with varying combinations of wets, egg patterns, or nymphs if the action is slow. But if they are hitting fairly well, I'll still go with a single fly.

I remember one day while steelhead fishing, I reeled in a small steelhead (4 pounder) that I though I foul hooked in the gill plate. After removing that hook, I found that the trailer fly was hooked in the steelhead's lip. What I'm guessing happened was the steelhead initially took the trailer (fair hooked), and then charged at me catching me off guard causing a lot of slack. The result was the lead fly foul hooking in the side of the gill plate.

I've had fish where the lead fly was in the mouth, and the trailer sticks the fish during the fight, but that was the first and only time i ever caught one where the fish was initially fair hooked on the trailer, and the fish foul hooks itself on the lead fly.

We had a discussion on here whether that fish would be considered fair or foul hooked. It was initially hooked fair, and that fly was still hooked but the fish was actually landed on the foul hook. I figured it could go either way, but it didn't matter because I wasn't keeping any that day anyway.

Always use dropper. Double the flies double the chances.

I fish the droppers a little, but my fishing buddy does it all the time and does well with a mod of the hopper-copper-dropper system.

He uses a stimulator/beadhead/Al's Rat or size 18 or 20 starling and black. The beadhead is usually a beadhead scud or Walt's Worm or even a bead with just olive dubbing or peacock herl. The Al's Rat has been deadly in this combo.

Double wooley buggers fished like wets catches lots of doubles on rainbows,browns a little too smart.
Fun to try that on Steelheads.Imagine 2 ten pounders.lol

Double wooley buggers fished like wets catches lots of doubles on rainbows,browns a little too smart.
Fun to try that on Steelheads.Imagine 2 ten pounders.lol

I also fish a tandem most of the time. Usually a prince nymph or copper john(something with weight) then a hares ear or egg pattern dropped below it.

Back