Don's sculpin

S

stoc

Does anyone have the recipe for Don's sculpin

check out the swap for 2007, there's one in there, not sure about the recipe though but i'm sure you could PM for one

If you can convinnce Miro to share the recipe, ask him to share it with me so I can update the Swap Page. The problem is, I think it is under some type of restrictive covenant.

Jack, I got one with my flies on a seperate piece of paper. I can scan it and email it to you if you'd like.

http://globalflyfisher.com/streamers/fish/muddler/saball.htm#woolhead

there's one on this page

Yes but in addition to Don's pattern not being on this page...it loses some of it charm without the hand written and hand drawn artwork.
Actually, the scan I sent Jack is easier to read them my original.

Guys - The inventor of this fly is Don Douple, who is a fishing buddy of mine. He has respectfully requested that the recipe for this fly is NOT to be posted on the internet. Just respecting the wishes of a friend........Ed :-(

I can respect your honoring his request and also Miro honoring the request and so I will not be publishing the recipe on our swap page. Now that said, I don't know Mr. Douple, but it sounds a little odd. Kinda like the old ladies at the church who refuse to give anyone their lasagna recipe. What's up wit dat?

JackM wrote:
I can respect your honoring his request and also Miro honoring the request and so I will not be publishing the recipe on our swap page. Now that said, I don't know Mr. Douple, but it sounds a little odd. Kinda like the old ladies at the church who refuse to give anyone their lasagna recipe. What's up wit dat?

There's a superstition that trout will "learn" a pattern. I give it no credence what so ever. And yet, if Don believes it, who am I to say otherwise.

Still, if trout could learn patterns the adams, wooley bugger, green weenie and royal coachman/wulff would be useless by now. I don't know a fisherman in PA who doesn't have one of these patterns, and doesn't catch fish on them regularly. I know a few fisherman who fish one of these patterns almost exclusively.

Well, while I wouldn't give out the recipe even though I don't know Mr. Douple if he doesn't want it published; you COULD always do what the old timers did...

...go to the Little Lehigh Fly Shop, buy one or two, thereby supporting the store & Don, and while you are there buy some of the special chenille used for the pattern. Then take it home and take the fly apart to learn how it is tied.

BTW, when you are finished don't be a dick and publish the recipe.

Lasagna anyone?

I know Don doesn't want the pattern out there on the internet, because it is a source of income for him. I don't blame him either. Someone posts the recipe and now everyone knows how to tie it. But I defy anyone to reverse engineer the pattern, because you won't have the material that Don has. I sat with him while he tied them and I can't tell how he does them. Here’s another tidbit, 1 time I was driving to a fishing spot on the Lehigh River 1 summer day, we were going for trout on the Locust drop, while I was driving Don was tying a very realistic Locust pattern. They looked like the real thing. He's shown this fly in his videos. I've never seen a trout refuse that fly, if there are locusts on the water or if they've been dropping.

With all due respect to Heritage-Angler, Miro and all other friends of Don Douple and Rod (who I believe is the owner of the shop). I’ve stopped in the shop several times and I must say that I’ve never been greeted with friendliness.

I’ve been in many dozens of fly shops in all parts of the nation, and have never seen this before. Most shops are eager to help with where to, how to, when to, and with pattern to fish. I found the LL shop people neither friendly nor helpful. When I stop into a fly shop to receive info, I feel I have an obligation to buy something. I left the shop with nothing. I thought it was just a bad day, but the same thing was repeated several times when I stopped in, and I am not the only one who feels this way. I’ve heard others say the same thing.

Rod or Don or whoever manages or owns the shop should take some lessons in customer relations and customer service. A fly shop owner should be glad to help anyone who comes into the shop with advice, tips, and information. This is how you build repeat customers and customer loyalty. This is true in any business, but even more so in the fly fishing business, since most shops all sell the same stuff at the same price – customer service is the difference.

Many who know them say, and I have no doubt, that the LL people are talented and knowledgeable fly fisherman – they just seem hesitant to share that knowledge, at least that has been my experience.

Come on people its not that big of a deal, there's more guys tying and fishing that pattern on the LL. than they know...I know of some people who tie it with other materials and do great...its a simple pattern. I do one that uses fun fur instead of hen for the tail... besides if everyone buys his pattern and fishes it wouldn't the fish get used to it...what are they doing limiting the sales on it...IT'S NOT THAT SPECIAL.......pm me and i 'll give my version to anyone, works just as good....Sorry Don but unless its a pattent, its going to be out there...it's already on other forums....

The problem with tying don's sculpin is getting the material he uses for the body. The fly is tied with lead dumbell eyes, a mottled brown or olive tail with a little maribou, and the body tapered front to rear like a sculpin. I tie a pattern that works just as well on the LLH using Bill Skiltons materials and have caught trout up to 19 plus in. this winter.

Speaking of this phenomena, have you ever asked a stranger what pattern they have on and they refuse to tell or show you? WTF? :-x

There WAS a time when the LL Fly Shop sold the chenille for the pattern. I have a few bags I bought at the time. I suspect it to be some type of yarn or chenille that you could find in an aisle at JoAnn Fabrics. It looks like something a comfy sweater would be made of.

But hey, the BEST sculpin pattern I ever used is all black so believe me there are other options. While Don' pattern is sweet and I respect his desire to keep it his own; it's just something that like any other fly is useless unless you know how to fish it PROPERLY; which carries more weight than those dumbbell eyes he uses.

As far as hospitality abounding in the shop...after about a million years and many visits Rod will actually talk to me so I guess it isn't the friendliest shop but far from the only one I visited with a less than enthusiastic help.

Hey, maybe it's the PA Dutch influence in the Valley that makes us so...

...unfriendly?

JackM wrote:
Speaking of this phenomena, have you ever asked a stranger what pattern they have on and they refuse to tell or show you? WTF? :-x

Nope, never. Maybe it's just you. :-D

My pride refuses to allow me to ask anyone what they are using.

If they ask me what I'm using I tell them...

..."Don's Sculpin but DON'T ask me how to tie it!"

I, personally, think all of this secrecy is a load of nonsese.

If the LL flyshop wants to hide things and give the cold shoulder to me and others like me, then they can expect a noticable decline in business over the coming years, as my generation of fisherman comes of age. I have always been beyond appreciative and respectful of people who have taught me things, and I feel that part of that respect is bolstering and nurturing the sport. I won't give out your secret spots, but if you are going to give tips about gear or flies, then be forewarned that I will pass it on to whomever asks.

People really forget what it's like to want to be a part of something or do something well. It really is frustrating when you are so close to succeeding, but are hampered by a simple lack of knowledge or understanding. This 'sink or swim' mentality may kill the sport.

I speak from experience....

I was a self-taught fly fisherman for a few years as a teenager, and I gave it up. I had nobody to help me learn to cast, tie, select flies, etc. It got overwhelmingly frustrating, as someone who always excelled in school and other activities, I wasn't prepared to take the time to fail, and I went back to chucking corn. Luckily for me, I was given a second chance by a gentleman who helped me with any and all information that I could possibly want.
I now love this sport more than anything because I was able to learn the right way to do things. It's sites like this and people like the guy who taught me that are responsible for keeping fly fishing alive for the future IMO. If you don't believe me, see this article about the 'self esteem' generation... which I am regretably a part of. http://nymag.com/news/features/27840/

I really hope that I am never stricken with mean old fart syndrome, because I cannot imagine the reasoning behind giving other fisherman the cold shoulder about fly patterns/gear. A good spot is one thing, but hiding your fly pattern is bordering on snide.

/end rant.

:)

Unbelieveable! What should I tell my grandson?

Jayl, I like your style.

Back