Posted on: 2007/3/8 15:26

Re: Don's sculpin

From Bozeman
ty Scratch.

And thanks for sharing, guys.

Posted on: 2007/3/8 15:32

From Attitudinally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
>Don's a good guy, a very skilled angler. He's contributed a lot to flyfishing and stream and wild trout conservation in PA. >

Although I never knew Don anywhere near as well as either Troutbert or Chaz, I'd say that in my experience, he's a real good guy who has done much for the sport and in his day, for the TU mission in PA. I certainly wouldn't want to see anything done that detracted from Don's ability to generate income with this fly of his. He's one of those guys who, IMO, has given far more than he's taken.

It does though, open up this larger question as to whether fly patterns are more like lasagna recipes (as somebody so aptly put it..) or more like an acknowledged patentable item like a new version of Clorox 2 for even whiter whites.

As I recall, this is a road that Jim Teeny trod in a much larger way a good many years ago when he actually patented his nymph series. There were a lot of hard feelings among his contemporaries over this. Not so much that they all wanted to tie and fish Jim's nymphs, but rather that there was a feeling he had violated a major tenet of the sport. At the time, his business was hurt rather than helped by his actions. Although he seems to be doing pretty well now.

It's an interesting question though. How much commercial influence is healthy in the sport, in all its aspects from stream access to fly recipes? And how much is too much? It seems to me a pretty delicate balance...

Posted on: 2007/3/8 15:53

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
I think his fly is more like a darter than a sculpin, and should be called so...A sculpin has a very defined head, aka The Muddler...Where's the darter has a tapered body..They are both bottom dwellers but there are more darters here than sculpins, and I've been lookin at em for 30 + years..

Attach file:

jpg  darter4.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2007/3/8 16:56

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Pa
Ah hem.....back in the 70s, there was a guy named George Kovacs that supplied many shops in the Lehigh Valley with flies. George was an excellent tier and quite a salesman to. He had a fly called the Ashey Pale that he sold for a pretty penny. Supposedly, it was constructed of secret materials that were extremely hard to find. Old George sold a ton of these flies and all the while he was handing them out he'd be putting on a line about how he guarantees this fly with a money back policy, and he's never had a single fisherman bring one back. Along with the money back promise, he'd also mention that he doubts he will ever get one back because the worst fisherman in the world could catch fish with this fly.

Well, I fished that fly for 15 years and never took a trout on it, even though I "discovered" what the secret materials consisted of. Maybe I'm a little slow, but one day I was setting streamside pondering this Ashey Pale situation, and finally came to the conclusion that old Geo Kovacs was the slickest fly salesman around. I doubt any single fisherman ever wanted to take credit for being the first fisherman to ever return the Ashey Pale back to George Kovacs. I know I didn't.

Ol' Festus gots a feeling that somebody on the LL prolly has a few of Ol' Georges genes floating around in his veins. Before ol' Festus pays $5 for a trout fly, he'll go buy a jar of Mikes Pink Shrimp Salmon Eggs and go put a real hurtin' on Mr Trout.

Besides, the Muddler Minnow rates as one of the slickest ad campains in fly fishing history. Who the he11 ever came up with the idea of imitating a bottom dwelling creature with deer hair must have been drinking some bad arsed whiskey.

Posted on: 2007/3/8 18:35

From Southeast PA
Festus, I really enjoyed that story. It sounded like the start of a short story in a magazine. Maybe you can make some money on the side, without patenting any flies!

Posted on: 2007/3/8 19:06

From Pa
Ol' Festus has been published. Betcha ya didn't know that eh?

Posted on: 2007/3/8 20:20

From Gettysburg
jayL,
Good article - thanks. As a high school teacher I see these kids every day that have been overpraised all their lives.
Fly fishing teaches humility, patience, attention to detail, and appreciation for the beauty of the natural world. Rivers, streams, beaches and small wild trout teach us that we as individuals are, in fact, very small.

Posted on: 2007/3/8 20:55

From Hatfield, Pa.
Don't know or care about Don's but if you are looking for a sculpin pattern that works try Ed Schenks. @ http://www.danica.com/flytier/eshenk/eshenk.htm
Tight lines,
Buffalo

Posted on: 2007/3/8 21:16

From Lehigh Valley, PA
Does anyone know of a site with directions for tying spun deer hair heads?

Posted on: 2007/3/8 23:43

- Homer J. Simpson

From Monessen, PA
The following page has a sequence of pictures and instructions for tying a bread fly that will help you with the process of making a spun hair section of the fly:

http://www.fishnet.com.au/flyswap/articles/mullet.html

Posted on: 2007/3/9 6:34

From LV
For the record, Don has worked for restoration and preservation of wild trout longer then most of us have been fishing for wild trout, doing it since his college days. He's participated in all manner of project for Perkiomen Valley TU and for the State Council for nearly as long.
I consider Don a friend and I know his reasons for not wanting his pattern put on the web, and don't blaem him one bit for not wanting it there. None of the patterns shown so far come close to what his looks like though.

Posted on: 2007/3/9 7:56

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
here is a pic of a BC Darter, not dons sculpin....tied similar but different materials... match's the pic of the darter i posted...

tied with fun fur, tan chenille, and lead eyes..on a 3665A size 4 mustad....brown prismacolor pen #(pm-88) for the mottling...

Attach file:

jpg  DSCN3537.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2007/3/9 9:00

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Monessen, PA
Are the reasons he has as much of a secret as the recipe itself, Chaz? As I read the thread, while many people have great things to say about him, not too many seem to be able to surmise "good" reasons for his no-tell policy. Certainly he has a right to be quirky, whether he's single-handedly saved the sport for the rest of us or is just a casual angler. But all that said, it doesn't seem telling us that you know his reasons is going to do a whole lot to stop the rest of us who don't from scratching our heads over the matter-- just as I do when the ladies in the church hall refuse to share their lasagna recipes .

Posted on: 2007/3/9 9:34

From Greensburg, PA
I don't think his reputation his anything to do with why he doesn't share his recipe. I just think that those who know him are just saying. "Hey, here's a nice guy and only because of that, maybe we should cut him a break and do as he asks". I'm not saying he should give away his secret recipe, I'm not saying he's selfish and I'm not saying that we have any obligation to keep his recipe a secret either. I'm just saying that those who know him are saying, "Hey he asked us not to broadcast this info and he'd appreciate it if we didn't." At some point in our lives, we've all held onto information that we didn't have to because some we have respect for asked us to.

My personal feeling is (since I actually have the recipe sitting in front of me) is that, like the lasagna ladies, the secret isn't really all that earth shattering. The problem is that the its rather simple. And if people who came to the church let out that it would be very easy to duplicate the lasagna, some might just make it at home and the church would suffer financially. However some, just because they know it helps the church might go there to get it anyway, just to help the church. So, I don't think any great harm would come to anyone if the fly recipe got out. Those who respect the guy for what they know about him would still go to him to get the fly because they believe its the right thing for them to do. And those who wouldn't buy one for that reason will either find a suitable replacement or just do without.

Posted on: 2007/3/9 10:48

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 9 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com