Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Does high water wash all the trout downstream?

From Philadelphia PA
I believe all trout and fish for that matter have a built in instinct to survive. No matter whether stocked or wild. When a flood comes they more than likely seek cover whether close by or migrate to calmer areas. Some of course get trapped in the outer edges of a flood and cannot get back to the main stream once it recedes. Some that have been weakened by the floods or other events get washed out. Most of us have what's known as a sweet spot where we catch trout. A location where we constantly return to is also the same where trout will either return to or others will migrate to. This is probably not determined by flooding but again by the fishes instinct.

Since the poll says "ALL" the answer is either yes or no, and I will have to say no.

Posted on: 2013/10/18 7:53
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

It depends on the severity of the flood.

Modest high water events don't do much damage.

Very large floods can cause a lot of trout mortality. Large floods (and extreme droughts) are part of the reason trout populations in freestone streams fluctuate so much.

Here is a report from Vermont that discusses the big storm that went through there a couple years ago, and the topic of trout mortality after flooding in general.

http://tinyurl.com/kxj8bfr

Posted on: 2013/10/18 8:46

Here's an excerpt from the Vermont article:

"Long Term Impacts of Floods to Wild Trout Populations:

Catastrophic flood events can also have profound effects on wild trout and other aquatic populations. Waters (1999) reported floods and sedimentation as the main environmental causes for the variation of wild brook trout populations in a long-term study of a Minnesota stream.

Numerous studies have linked the abundance of age-0 trout to the timing and magnitude of flood events (Warren et. al. 2009, Carline and McCullough 2003, Seegrist and Gard 1972). While young fish are often more susceptible to loss during flood events, high mortality of adult trout have been documented as well (Young et. al 2010, Carline and McCullough 2003).

The decline and subsequent recovery of fish populations following flood events are directly related to aquatic habitat quality and complexity."

Posted on: 2013/10/18 12:11

From LV
There is also a study that was done by Bob Carline in WVA after the 96 flood, in the Monongahela National Forest, that show 86%of the brook trout present before the flood were simply gone. they know this because the segments were survey for a redd study and surveyed again after the trout would have hatched.
Not only did the 0+ age group disappear, but most of the adult trout did too.
If a stream is incised and cut off from the flood plain then the trout have much less chance to survive a flood event, because the have no place to go. Most of PA's trout streams have long sections of incision. It is very important to have sturcture in streams that deflects the high flows of events such as Irene, and Lee.

Posted on: 2013/10/18 16:38

Here's a link to the Carline paper:
http://tinyurl.com/k88dxqp

Posted on: 2013/10/18 16:49

From MidAtlantic
Now that I have had some time to have a good look at and fish some of the local streams and try to access if there was damage or not it is clear that some streams and especially small ones that have large flood plains and valleys associated with them and little cover did sustain some significant damage to the wild trout population. Other rockier streams with more cover did better and the Gunpowder with lots of rock and wood cover, limited feeder creeks, and controlled dam releases sustained little to no damage even with the overspill from the dam. If anything the increased flows in the Gunpowder seemed to help the fish. Some small tributary streams like the Panther branch seems to go relatively unscathed while others like the Carroll branch have very few if any trout still holding in them. I think the topography combined with the physical geology and the amount of wood and rock cover streams have really determines how much damage a given trout population will sustain during a flood event. It seems like high gradient rocky streams with narrow valleys sustained less damage then slower meandering streams with big flood plains. That is kind of counter intuitive because it would appear that the velocity of the flows are not that much of a factor until a flood is so massive that it moves bounders and long jams like we had during Hurricane Lee. Even then some streams obviously recovered much faster than others which may be determined by how many additional refuge areas they have further downstream.

Posted on: 2013/10/25 11:28

From United States
I guess the question I have is Are the trout directly killed by the flood event? I have seen examples of population decline such as the flood of 96. However, the damage was to the habitat. I don't attribute the pop decline to mortality but rather as a result of habitat destruction. I'm not sure how anyone could be sure unless to actually survey the water prior and then find the dead fish immediately after. I guess if they are gone you can assume that they were killed. Just not the way I think.

Posted on: 2013/10/25 18:32
I am of the opinion that there is NOT one single population of wild trout that exists in our great state worth intentionally degrading for the benefit of any fisherman or any amount of money no matter how small the population.

Quote:

Stenonema wrote:
I guess the question I have is Are the trout directly killed by the flood event?

Yes. The really severe floods kill a lot of trout. The studies show that.

Posted on: 2013/10/25 19:16

From United States
I may have to change my line of thinking on this, which may help me to better understand some o the pop fluctuations I experience. I didn't take the time to read the studies however did they see the dead trout?

Posted on: 2013/10/25 20:19
I am of the opinion that there is NOT one single population of wild trout that exists in our great state worth intentionally degrading for the benefit of any fisherman or any amount of money no matter how small the population.

From Woodstock, MD
I think that fish do not get pushed far during floods. I think, like many on this board, feel that they hunker down. But, that said, I was in State College one spring more than a few years ago, they had a "trout rodeo" on Bald Eagle Creek. That is, there were prizes for catching fish that PA had stocked and were tagged. One fish that was caught, traveled 13 miles from where it was stocked. Pretty incredible.

Posted on: 2013/10/29 7:05

From Stevens to Twenty mile
Yes

Posted on: 2013/10/29 7:38

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (28)
Who cares? It beats work. 30% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com