Does anybody know where i can get topo maps of local lakes?

mystillwater

mystillwater

I'm not sure if there are an such things but i'd love to find some topographical maps of some local lakes (Chambers Lake, Marsh Creek Lake, Arrowhead Lake). Not sure if anyone has a source they can hook me up with. I've googled them and not turned up anything. Google Earth topos don't map the lake bottom, just the surface.

thanks!

I own topo maps with subsurface structure, contour lines, etc for some fairly large lakes here in PA (Raystown and Marburg). Can't remember where I bought 'em as I've had 'em for years and have marked 'em up with hand written notes. I believe you can buy 'em at local bait and tackle shops or the big box stores. The Raystown map is produced by "Angler's Aid" with the address of:
International Map Company
547 Shaler Blvd
Ridgefield, NJ
(no zip)

The maps Fishidiot talks about are good and also FHS (Fishing Hots Spots), maps I have one of Wallenpaupack, Marburg and Raystown, and I believe there is another for glendale lake, and others in PA.

I think they sell them at most sporting goods places and even at a few Wal-marts. I acrually have three separate maps of Raystown.

I've only ever seen maps for a half dozen or so lakes in the state, and there are hundreds of medium sized lakes in Pa.

Actually according to Dave Wolf, there are "50 natural lakes (over 20 acres) and 2,500 man made lakes", which sounds like an educated estimate in my oppinion.

I have recently begun to acquire maps for my kayak fishing travels to local lakes. The PFBC is a wealth of information, although they don't always have the depths marked on the maps.

For example, I found these maps on the PFBC site with regards to Marsh Creek Lake:

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/anglerboater/2007/03mayjune/reg5marsh.pdf

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/water/habitat/mgmt_plans/lake/marsh_creek.pdf

While neither one shows depths, they are a starting point. The second link of underwater fish structure would be particularly useful. I obtained a map of Speedwell Forge Lake at the PFBC regional office (at the lake) that had depth markings. You may be able to do the same at the respective park office for the lake you're visiting. I was surprised to find out exactly how shallow many local lakes are!

Good luck...

The Blakeslee Sports Shop on 115 used to sell some crazy detailed topo maps...I've had mine for more than a few years and they haven't let me down...

Stillwater,

I believe Gordon's Tackle on Rt 100 in Eagle (right near the turn for Marsh Creek Res) has a detailed map of Marsh Creek and possibly Chambers. Also you can pick up your crawlers and minnies there;-)

stopped at Gordons and got a Marsh Creek map. still looking for Chambers Lake though. i emailed a bunch of addresses on the PFBC website and DCNR as well as chester county parks and rec. we'll see if i can turn one up.,

thanks!

Back