Do you plan your vacations around weather patterns.

sundrunk

sundrunk

I saw this adversment for V.S channel a few years back and chuckled....They were talking about the Bass fishing crowd, but I think it applies to trout fisherman as well. Weather is the deciding factor for every fishing trip I plan or am staging to plan. I just refuse to get blown out and stand by and do nothing. Nothing worse then wasting days, waiting for the flows to get right. What I do now is establish a contingency plan,; where I'll have a few other destinations to fall back on. Maybe a tail water like the Savage or a freestone like Big pine country to fall back on in case one or the other gets blown out, or dried up for that matter. Do any of you plan your trips with a contingency plan?

I hate getting blown out,nothing worse,especially with limited vacation time.I do alot of weekend trips and day trips sometimes it just can't be helped.For my weeklong striper fishing trip I use the moon to plan my trips when possible.The weather i can deal with as it is usually good when it's rough out.And even then if it's to bad i try to have some kind of backup plan.
tight lines,
Don

As I've only been working part time because of this rotten economy, I'll have plenty of time for fishing this spring/summer so I don't really call it vacation time, just free time. Anyway, I do plan my fishing trips based on what the projected weather focast is supposed to be. The thing is, when you commit yourself to a 3-5 hour trip (one way) there's really no turning back. So, I'll go to an area where there are several trout streams to choose from. But generally, most streams will have similar conditions in a given area, so I try to make trips when there are optimum weather conditions.

did
Week of the full moon in October-nite fishing for spawning browns-Hundreds of miles of river-all to my self-NEVER saw another soul-just deer swimming by-owls,skunks,bobcat,elk,otter,mink,coons and browns as long as your arm.
January-chinook coming in-grab a week-gin clear water and pods of trout stacked up in spring holes .Fish some of those for hours-I got one for flybop but since this is PFF- a week in June if I could get it-never recall bad weather.
I use to head for Pa. every week end from opening to close of general season[August? I forget]'
Only once was the water unfishable-luck or weather changing I can't say.

Pete, not sure what you were asking? Was it if I ever saw some bad weather in Montana in June? A "typical" day in June can have (as you well know), sunny blue skys and 70 degrees, thunderstorms, high wind and snow. But, often after lunch things settle down.

In the summer here our biggest weather problem is often the wind. Sometimes in my area you can reduce the wind by driving half an hour east of Livingston, as far as the Yellowstone goes. The other weather problem on the Stone are mud plugs. Mud plugs are caused by heavy T-storms in YNP in the Lamar, Soda Bute and or the Gardner rivers. A storm can literally send a wall of mud down into the Yellowstone. We need to constantly keep an eye on the weather in YNP and monitor the stream gages for the Lamar, Soda and Gardner. If a mud plug catches you the fishing is done, over for that float.

Knowing that there is a plug coming you can then get ahead of it by driving 50 miles or so in front of it and fish without the mud catching you. Depending on the severity of the storms the plugs usually move through a given river stretch in a day or 2. Then you need to move back up river, towards YNP, and get behind the mud. Mud plugs really do not raise the river much, so as soon as it moves through you are good to go.

An interesting thing about mud plugs is that you can tell where they came from by their color. Brown mud means it came from the Lamar, grey mud means it came from the Gardner. The Lamar mud is about a day behind the Gardner mud.

I always have a plan B, and C, just in case.
And if things look blown out everywhere, I'll just stay home, and work on the honey do list. And try again the next week
One of the problems I have with planning a trip with buddies, is trying to cancel out when things look bad. Some of them still just want to go ahead with the plan, come hell or high water.
Which isn't very smart IMO - especially when gas was $4 a gallon.

I'm on vacation the last week of april - and plan on going to the Delaware River. But if its too high to fish, I'll definitely change plans. That would be a 7 hour drive for me - for nothing?

I plan my vacations around the weather for a different sport, not fly fishing so much but they both seem to work out. I surf alot and have been for 15+ years. On the east coast the best time of year is hurricane season and the fall, which is when I typically take my vacations and arrange and easy work schedule so I can surf as much as possible. This conveniently also means that when the surf is flat, I can fish on nice fall days without alot of people around. It all seems to work out well.

dryflyguy,

I so know what you're talking about with friends who won't cancel trips, or can't for what ever reason. This is a major problem for me as well. Some guys are just as happy to have a couple of beers next to the fire, which is fine. For me it's all about the fishing. This is a tough sport to find success in if you can't be flexible and are stuck on something as ridged as markings on a calendar. And the Wive's never understand. What did guys do before cell phones; send smoke signals home, goo goo and ga ga'in, yes dear. It's a fishing trip for god's sake. Can't we disconnect for while with out having to worrie about getting a good cell phone signal so we can call our wives just to talk about nonsense...What a jip!

Got to if you fish dry flys

Wmass Saw a lady wind surfing in St Pete Fla in the Gulf around Feb 21st , she was darned good too, was that you?

littlejuniata wrote:
Wmass Saw a lady wind surfing in St Pete Fla in the Gulf around Feb 21st , she was darned good too, was that you?

Nope, definitely wasn't me. First off, I am a guy and second I surf, not windsurf. Also, I surf year round in the northeast and would never be caught dead in the warm waters of FL. Nothing better than a 25 degree air temp, 36 degree water and a clean head high swell. Surfed twice last week as a matter of fact.

Flybop-meant a spring hole where the trout stack up in the wintertime on the yellowstone-never got a four pounder out of the hold but 25 fish days of 2&3 pounders not bad for january-
About a mile up river from mission ranch access.

Yo surfer!! Is there a lady on here with a name similiar to yours? This gal had a wet suit on and a parachute, or wind sail? she would travel out about 4 5 blocks then come back in, her hubby was watching their baby on the beach, water wasn't 32 but it was probalby in the 50s, she looked like she was having a ball. Sounds like you to are having a ball

yo pete, where is there some good bably tarpon fishing, would like that but only with a fly rod and surface flys.

google up fly fishing for tarpon in Fl.-never fished for them even though we get a run in my river-caught a couple of small ones
If you are coming to Florida-forget fly rods and really get with it-

I am looking for fish up to 24 25 inces, the big stuff looks like work, got a kid who lives at 400 Beach Drive in St Pete is that near you, he is on the waer with just a 1/2 block wide park area between his digs and the marinas.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7GGIE_en&ei=RwThScysKJPUlQeg7YzgDg&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=400+beach+drive+st+petersburg+florida&spell=1

This will be my 5th Jam, if I go, there is always a contingency for the weather..

Well I hope all you jam guys have a ball and great weather

no-thats near Gulfgreyhound-across the state.PM him and ask him for guides-I am at the upper end of tarpon range-you ought to come redfishing-

dryflyguy wrote:

I'm on vacation the last week of april - and plan on going to the Delaware River. But if its too high to fish, I'll definitely change plans. That would be a 7 hour drive for me - for nothing?

Looks like another roller coaster ride with the D levels this season. Good luck trying to fish it at a good level.

Attachments

• USGS_01426500_07_00060_2009_20090313_20090412_1_0_p50.JPG
    USGS_01426500_07_00060_2009_20090313_20090412_1_0_p50.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 4
Back