Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 18 »

Re: Do you consider it ethical to advertise small streams?
From Monessen, PA
Jay, I don't think you get anywhere changing the name. What is unsportsmanlike about sharing information that will expand people's knowledge and appreciation of our fishery resources, open up additional options for such anglers, move some pressure from the better known streams, recruit potential "stakeholders" in the watershed, and generally broadcast the enjoyment of our sport to more people, rather than less.

You will be advancing the same reasons regardless of whether you think of it as a question of "ethics" or "sportsmanship." And what is the essence of sportsmanship except a particular branch of ethics that concerns itself with matters of sport?

As for afishinado's suspicion (by the way, is that an Italian name?), he is of course out of his tree. I am one of the more prolific spot-burners on PAFF, big and small, known and unknown. I have never visited Sal's honeyholes, though, but I always visit one's afishinado mentions.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 9:44

From Bozeman
Would you consider it unsportsmanlike to crowd another angler on the stream?

Posted on: 2010/9/27 9:47

From Eastern PA
Not as bad as blocking gas pumps imo.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 9:49

I think it's unethical to go on a flyfishing website and attack people for discussing streams because streams are at the heart of flyfishing.

Attacking people for discussing streams is also attacking, and harming, the website. And does nothing whatever to help conservation, and very likely harms conservation.

What is first step in conserving a stream?

Answer: Becoming aware that the stream exists. Nothing else can be done before that.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 9:49

From Bozeman
I would contend that the bulk of the people that would actually do something to protect a stream already know about it.

Your definition of "attack" is very, very loose.

I have yet to see any justification for unfettered broadcasting of information about small streams. Other than "I like it", of course.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 9:50

From Monessen, PA
I think your last "contention" is way wrong. And I would find it both unsportsmanlike and unethical to "crowd" a person on a stream, but before I could answer as to a specifc, I would need the term crowding to be defined. I would never fish as close to an angler on a stream with plenty of room as I do in Erie when there is NOT plenty of room. The concept of "too close" is relative to the circumstances.

I ask anyone that feels like Jay to ask themselves what greater right they have to be on a particular stream than any other angler? If 10 people are "too many," who should go home? The guy that fishes the stream daily, weekly, for years upon years, or the angler that read about the stream on PAFF and decides to try it out for the day, being unlikely for a multitude of reasons to return half as much as the first-mentioned angler? Really, think about it.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 9:57

From Monessen, PA
I have yet to see anyone advocate "unfettered broadcasting" of any stream. I have seen, and have myself advocated, leaving the decision whether to do so in the good judgment of the angler who is choosing to post or not post about it.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 9:58

From Bozeman
You're changing the subject.

The question is whether it's right to advertise small streams by posting information about them in an unregulated setting.

I've asked it, and I've gotten answers. Good enough for me. I tire of this.

Until you can convince me that there is something wrong with the community deciding to enforce what it sees to be good sportsmanship, I'm going to continue to suggest that people tone it down when they get loose lipped with info about these streams.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 9:59

From Other side of the tracks
I voted yes, just to mess with Jay.

OK, I didn't, but I thought about it.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 10:08

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

jayL wrote:

You're joking, right? I have come to expect more from you than this.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 10:10

From Bozeman
Quote:

JackM wrote:
Quote:

jayL wrote:

You're joking, right? I have come to expect more from you than this.

I'm not interested in going off on tangential arguments today. I asked the question I asked, and I am satisfied with the answers.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 10:14

If you all knew of a property with massive bucks, like boone and crocket deer, would you broad cast that property on the internet and post glowing reports of the huge deer before the season? i think not...

end of debate.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 10:19

FWIW, I made about three dozen trips to small - less than 15 feet wide - PA streams this year. Most of these trips were to remote streams, but maybe a dozen were to streams near cities.

I ran into two fishermen, one on a remote stream, one on a stream near a city, plus two rattlers, both on the little lehigh - just kidding - one bobcat, one bear, and one hissing, charging... wild turkey?

Overall, I don't think there's a big spot burning problem, but I am still not going to post my best stream or access details here.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 10:20

Sal,

I have no idea how sharing time with someone close such as a family member on a stream AT all compares to posting glowing boastful posts on the internet about small streams. In fact they couldn't be farther apart. Secondly, i assume you'll actually show up when you plan a clean up date with your relatives?

Posted on: 2010/9/27 10:21

From Chester County
Actually I think the members of PAFF have it about right. There is a lot of "where to fish" info to be found from nearly every corner of PA, yet some restraint is shown for posting the smaller wild trout streams flowing through private property. There should be no big beef on either side IMHO.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 10:25

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 18 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com