Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 18 »

Re: Do you consider it ethical to advertise small streams?

From Southwest, Pa
jay... you might as well give up.

There are a few stream names that get thrown around on here that I personally know landowners on. A lot seem to think there has been increased pressure in the past few years, and are looking to post parts of their property.

Some places may be open, public property for only half of the stream mileage, which, does lead to "SOME' people over-stepping their boundaries, and trespassing on land they should not be w/o permission.

Posted on: 2010/9/23 22:18

-Art Lee

From Lehighton, PA
Anglers that post names of these streams should be tarred & feathered as a warning to others.

Posted on: 2010/9/24 1:06

From lancaster county
I think another stupid debate about this subject is hilarious. You know where I stand on the subject.

A better question is:

Is it ethical to try and regulate what people post on a private forum, when the owner has expressed the view that he wants people to share information?

From the man himself:

Quote:
This website is here to help foster a shared interest in expanding our knowledge, experience and most importantly our enjoyment for fly fishing in Pennsylvania.

As a community site that encourages fly fishing in Pennsylvania, this site also encourages the sharing of ideas, fish stories, stream locations, and general helping of others to learn more and become better fly fishing anglers.

Seems pretty cut and dry to me, but im starting to wonder if this "site that encourages" is rather "discouraging" posters from sharing such info.

Posted on: 2010/9/24 1:43

From Monessen, PA
The vision of the site owner has never waivered. The opinions of some registered members never will either.

Posted on: 2010/9/24 6:07

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
I would argue that our sport and even society in general benefit by more people enjoying these places. I think most of the argument against sharing information comes down to protecting one's own self interest.

Posted on: 2010/9/24 6:54

From Monessen, PA
18 to 11 based upon reassigning my vote.

In the interest of fairness, I balance the pros of sharing info with these cons:

1. Someone might have an aneurysm if you mention their secret;
2. Irresponsible anglers tend to be lazy and would never find the secret place without help, thus, only responsible anglers will ever find it;

(Assuming a post drives additional anglers to the location,)
3. I have a greater chance of finding solitude whenever it strikes my fancy to visit there.
4. Private lands might get posted, so that whereas a few people were able to fish it, now no one is;
5. A fistfight may break out if you arrive at your secret location and find me or sal fishing there.

Posted on: 2010/9/24 7:43

From Lewistown
Does someone have the right to broadcast it, yes; but is it ethical and sportsman-like, no.

By announcing stuff about a stream you are inviting people (and yolkles) to the stream.

I do see how, "the more people know the better it can be preserved." However, there's only so much money and so many people do keep the stream "protected."

I think it can be protected by just leaving it alone and sometimes when a land owner posts a stream, that's the best protection FOR THE STREAM (not the fisherman).

Posted on: 2010/9/24 8:30

1. No, for many reasons I have noted before. The only point I acknowledge from the other side is that streams do need friends when they're in trouble. Otherwise, I hold fast to the NO position.
2. JayL and Ryan: I feel the same way you do, but it's a losing battle, I'm afraid.

Posted on: 2010/9/24 11:51

From Schuylkill County
I voted no; many small streams do not need, what I call, "artificial"
pressure because of a "broadcast" communication. I'd tell most anyone on here about streams I've fished, but I'm not going to be one to make the stream a hotspot for a while.

Posted on: 2010/9/24 12:24
if you look at it right...

From Lehighton, PA
Quote:

rrt wrote:
1. No, for many reasons I have noted before. The only point I acknowledge from the other side is that streams do need friends when they're in trouble. Otherwise, I hold fast to the NO position.
2. JayL and Ryan: I feel the same way you do, but it's a losing battle, I'm afraid.

I was kinda joking anyway. We can only police ourselves, I choose not to post names or at least exacty spots of numerous places I fish. That's really all you can do.

Posted on: 2010/9/24 13:13

From South Central PA
Voted no.

If you think anglers are secretive about small trout streams, try to get the local smallmouth spot out of someone who lives in Franklin county. Good luck, and note how the person you asked squints at you like Clint Eastwood.

Posted on: 2010/9/24 13:20

From Harrisburg PA
Wanted to vote yes its OK, but inadvertantly voted no. I can broadcast any information I choose about any stream I choose. It's a personal choice and I will not be censored. That said I usually only provide info about this type of streams to my "inner sactum." Not because I think it's unethical(ethics is too strong a word IMO) but because it's MY choice.

Posted on: 2010/9/24 13:37

From Bozeman
I agree that it's unethical to censor people, and wouldn't do so.

I don't agree that it's unethical to give them a hard time about "spot burning", and have no problem telling them that I feel they've said too much. Usually, in my experience, people can understand where I'm coming from, and realize their error. I don't think it's smart to start a war on a thread about a stream, but it happens. I usually opt for PM.

Posted on: 2010/9/24 13:43

From Harrisburg PA
I guess the hard part of this for me is attempting to judge the actions of others unless their actions are CLEARLY black or white. This seems to me a gray issue and while I may disagree with the things people do in the gray area I am not willing to judge, at least out loud.

Posted on: 2010/9/24 13:51

From Monessen, PA
Just stumbled onto this quote and thought of this thread and the poll:

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.
~ Mark Twain

Posted on: 2010/9/24 13:56

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 18 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com