Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 »

Re: Do you consider it ethical to advertise small streams?

From Lehighton, PA
Wow this thing keeps ticking along, its friggin' hilarious at this point. There are certain streams I fish that if I post a report or mention good fishing on it I will never mention the actual name of the stream on the forum. Other streams that are much more widely known I will post a report about. However I've decided its best not to publicly post too specifically about the particular stretch. I do often give hints that can be figured out with a little initiative or exploration. I think it's a personal choice that every angler on here has to make for his or herself. It really doesn't need to be debated or defined on here anymore than that.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 11:25

Dave i think you wont see too many of those arguments in here because its been hashed and rehashed so many times. ITs at the point where the debate is merely entertaining. Certain folks minds wont change, and thats perfectly fine. I prefer the professional pm route. In fact, i often suggest post about a stream, omit certain details then feel free to share those details via PM. I've said that so many times i care not to say it anymore because its so redundant. So in the mean time i will have fun with a few certain individuals who entertain me. I have and will continue to pm individuals in a respectful, courteous manner expressing my concerns should they arise.

But rest assured the reason there is not more posts like this one coming from me on this topic; is not because i dont see it that way, but rather because it's been said so many times, id rather entertain myself than repeat myself.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 11:29

Ryan says it perfectly, but then again Ryan isnt out for internet glory. Dave (sorry i keep callin ya that its just 1 letter shorter than david thus more convenient) Alot of us got sick of one particular person and their glory mongering/need for self stroking. And not so much the person, but rather the whole mentality. Not to mention that some of us really do feel that internet traffic results from glowing posts and would not want to see it, if there is even a chance, its not a chance i want to take ya dig?

I agree info sharing is possible and the most important part of this site. Soooooo back to what i've said 8 gazzilllion times, leave glorious numbers out, and PM the details. if its a small stream, or "unknown" to the masses, or "under the radar" dont post the name...thats all...

but by all means via pm's share away....

Posted on: 2010/9/28 11:34

some people (cough jack and briian truffel) just like to debate or have a need for glory, obviously that doesnt refer to jack...and they will argue in opposition till their faces turn blue and their significant others leave them. That is why it becomes a fun fest and entertaining. they cant see past their nose or ego and it turns to gruel.

Edit: i am not suggesting anyone's significant other has in fact left them due to too much interwebbing, simply using it for effect, i am also not suggesting anyone's face has actually turned blue

Posted on: 2010/9/28 11:37

From Monessen, PA
Its clever how you paint those of us who are open to sharing as the egoist, whereas you, who want to dictate what other can share are, what?, I guess the selfless ones?

Posted on: 2010/9/28 11:41

From SEPA
My stance... I will gladly talk about public streams, but I probably won't give you the spots I find most productive, you can find those yourself.

Its not that I won't share them based on what some people might say, if you do it respectfully, then I'll listen. If you're going to be beligerant, it will probably backfire on you and your goal.

The reason I prefer not to share too much as I've witnessed first hand what happens with spot burning. The one time I brought up a local "secret," I discovered the next weekend that it was heavily fished by many people. Now, I didn't MIND that so much, but it was still a good example of the power of the Internet, even where the thread wasn't heavily trafficed, but just public.

Since then, I don't think I've ever made a stream report. Its a nice idea, but its all too easy to have it backfire and the resource hogged out.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 11:42

From lancaster county
Whats even funnier than that Jack is he paints a picture that "many" were sick of my posts. Yet as I have been reading my photo essays.....only about 3 ever showed a grudge against them. About 50 or so have loved them.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 11:43

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
Is there some inherent good in fish existing in these streams if no one gets to catch them? I say no, with an exception for endangered species.

Is there good if one or a couple fishermen get to catch fish in this near-urban pristine environment? Yes there is, but only for one or a couple persons.

I think the most benefit accrues to humanity when the utilization of the resource approaches the point where the resource would begin to be compromised by over-utilization.

So the danger in advertising streams is that some of them may be pushed over this threshold and be compromised. This is a real danger and one that anglers should consider before advertising.

There are, however, underutilized streams that could give pleasure to more anglers without being compromised. I think one is doing a good thing by sharing these places with others.

Unfortunately, everyone has their own ideas about when the threshold of compromise has been crossed. This is where the arguments and hurt feelings arise.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 11:45

Briiane shouldnt you be finishing that childrens book?

Jack im not selfless, far from it, you could call me selfish and i might agree, selfless no...but you prove my poitn that you two dont really care and want it your way just as much as i do. you're just both a little softer than me, so you can play the bottom victim role. i dont do well there...

Posted on: 2010/9/28 11:50

Albatross, that is very insightful and i'd have to agree with most of it. for the millionthtime, pm details. when in doubt PM...

From lancaster county
I already did write a childrens book *shrugs*

From Eastern PA
Quote:
My stance... I will gladly talk about public streams, but I probably won't give you the spots I find most productive, you can find those yourself.

So once and for all Jerry, are their troups in the Monocacy and how many?

Posted on: 2010/9/28 11:51

From lancaster county
Lmfao@ softer than you and victim roles.

I dont think any of us have complained about "our" spots being burnt or how people choose to post on a PRIVATE forum.
That is all your deal.

At this point it has become hilarious. I thought and knew it would be from the beginning. Anymore your just using this thread as a way to take shots at people as you do most threads.

Carry on......
I'm laughing I hope the rest of you are also.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 11:54

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
cmkrachen wrote Quote:
Albatross, that is very insightful and i'd have to agree with most of it. for the millionthtime, pm details. when in doubt PM...

I'll make my own decisions about what types of communication are appropriate, but thanks for your thoughts on the subject.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 11:55

You dont complain because you're lighting all of the fires? hello? then when someone calls you on it, you whine and complain to the Mods...as you are doing now. mr. truffel = victim...cmkrachen = bad guy

Posted on: 2010/9/28 11:59

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com