Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 »

Re: Do you consider it ethical to advertise small streams?

From Bozeman
I'm fairly certain this thread has run its course.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 10:07

From Suburban Pittsburgh
Can't we all just get along. Mmmkay?

Loved the references to Mr. Mackey!

Posted on: 2010/9/28 10:10

From Monessen, PA
I agree it has run its course, so to sum up the poll and its comments, a clear but not overwhelming majority of members who are not too shy to post or vote believe it is a good idea for people to not mention streams that the same majority determines are somehow "sensitive" either because of size, utilization characteristics or perhaps only the possibility that one or more persons think they are the only ones who know about it.

Do I have it about right?

Posted on: 2010/9/28 10:32

"who are not too shy to post or vote "

here jack is not so cleverly inferring that everyone else is scared to post or vote because they fear backlash. This is a normal Liberal tactic which basically takes the victim of persecution position in an effort to mitigate a clear disagreement with their position. It's done all the time. Jack will respond by saying, no i was inferring you guys are not scared to post and speak up frequently, and that i was not at all referring to a scared silent majority whom are afraid of the loud "badboys".

Do i have it about right?

Posted on: 2010/9/28 10:38

jack look my avatar in the eye when you respond to me!

Posted on: 2010/9/28 10:40

From chester county
LOL @ Jack's post. It only took like four spotburning debates to get to that one paragraph conclusion.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 10:40

From Monessen, PA
Yes, it is shameful how an effort has been launched to try to stifle the free exchange of information. If you are hoping for a backlash, hope along with me that people who enjoy sharing will be emboldened to post freely despite the efforts of the majority to keep them silent.

Whether you want to own up to it or not, this topic and the snide comments we see whenever someone posts anything about any stream that is not world famous, have a chilling effect on those who do not agree with the majority view. And further, it is my belief that this is exactly the intention of those who constantly raise the supposed ethics of stream-naming; that is, it is their conscious purpose to attempt to minimize the number of people exercizing their freedom to post as they please.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 10:51

Can we get that spoon feeding picture up again??

so sad Jack...if you're ever out this way PM me and i'll show you a stream or two...

edit: I'm also glad you recognize that it is a majority that want to keep small streams from being publicized. Majority controls social norms...this is a social website, you shouldn't be upset or surprised.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 10:54

From Monessen, PA
I laugh at your patronizing response-- I couldn't care less about your streams, but I hope one day to stumble upon a few accidentally so we can go through this all again when I post about them.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 10:57

From Pittsburgh
Here is my summation...

I fully understand and agree with anyone's desire to have a secret stream and not share that information publicly.

I cannot comprehend how it is considered ok to bash, block, or admonish someone else who wishes to share.
The stream is no more one persons than another's (private land excluded). Additional knowledge can help save a distressed steam. Spreading the word about streams dilutes foot traffic and takes pressure off other streams. And it is the individuals right (via website rules and otherwise) to voice their thoughts and findings.

If someone thinks that there is a legitimate potential issue or threat to the resource, I think it is perfectly acceptable to inform a poster in an objective, professional manner. It is still up to the poster to utilize the given information and decide whether that post should remain, be altered, or be removed. When it moves into the arena of venomous attacks, repeated PMs, insults, etc. it moves into an unacceptable mob rule mentality.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 10:58

From Bozeman
And I regret the shameful attempts of some to encourage poor sportsmanship.

David, I agree with your post.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 10:58

From Monessen, PA
Re your edit:

No, a bare majority is not sufficient to establish a social norm. Maybe a Taboo or superstition or a prejudice, but not a norm.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 10:59

From Bozeman
But if we're dealing with baseless assertions, I'd say that the majority's word has more weight in that debate.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 11:00

From Enola, Pa.
Oh believe me it will come up again and again and again!

PaulG

Posted on: 2010/9/28 11:06

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

jayL wrote:
And I regret the shameful attempts of some to encourage poor sportsmanship.

Although, Jay, the majority of the votes have been against the posting of streams (while reiterating that it was a pointed poll), I have not seen a tangible or objective reasoning for them. Perhaps I've missed them, but I've only seen emotional arguments. Is there any actionable reasons that can be presented to support the ill effects this has on the streams (other than one person is inconvenienced by the joy of others)?

It seems to me that the "poor sportsmanship" proves to be the greater good by sharing through enjoyment, involvement, awareness, protection, and dispersing of anglers. Might it inconvenience an angler or two? Possibly. But, if you look at long term and short term effects...the short term appears to be minimal at best with a huge upside on the long term. I don't understand how, taking emotion out (which can be difficult) it can be rationally seen otherwise. You talk about the majority...fly fishers a very small minority in society as a whole...we need all the exposure and camaraderie we can get lest we be deemed "poor sportsman" and pm'ed into submission.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 11:24

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com