Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Diversion

From Harrisburg
Resized Image
Many folks prefer fall as their favorite, but spring is my favorite time of year. I do love fishing in the fall more than springtime but it always seems to make me feel good just to be outside on a warm spring day.

Resized Image
I love the days when its as though you see the buds burst out on the foliage. A true sign that old man winter is finally losing what feels like a "death grip" in some years.

Resized Image
Everything even smells new. It just smells green. You can even tell with the scent of the ground itself after a winter of hibernation/ fermentation.

Resized Image
While the original plan was to hit Penns and search for the grannoms, the rains once again came during this hatch and shot down our hopes with high and colored water.
We could have gave them a shot, but there sat Cherry run just looking georgous.

Resized Image
For its size, it has some extreme dynamics to it.
And alot of bugs that were just dying to get into my eyes and take a drink.

Resized Image
Friend and board member Danno was with for his first time there. We werent catching quite as many as we thought we would. Zero for the first hour actually.

Resized Image
But we finally caught some.

Resized Image
It just seemed surprising we didnt catch more. The stream looks like a picture perfect native stream and lures you to the next hole, even though you're trying to give up on it.

Resized Image
Its regulated "Catch and release ALO" on the signs and the local shop owner said it takes alot of pressure, even though I have yet to see anyone else fishing it.
This was one of the very largest holes in it and just like all the largest holes, we didnt catch one trout out of them. That does indeed remind me of the other pressured native streams I'm familiar with.

Resized Image
It still had its moments.
Its nice to get a native trip off my list for awhile as the stockie trucks begin to roll for some easier "after work" trips, instead of long jaunts chasing hatches that may or may not materialize.
But even if the trucks break down, I can usually find a diversion to salvage the day.

Posted on: 2013/4/20 19:55

Re: Diversion

From North East PA
Great Post! Wonderful narrative and photos!

Posted on: 2013/4/20 20:21

"Hey, Wait, that rock is moving" - Pat D, Newbie Jam, 3/16/13

From Hershey
That's what its all about! I never fished that stream too seriously. Not sure why but it must be the lure of Penns! At least I got my grass cut:(

Posted on: 2013/4/20 20:53

Edited by riverwhy on 2013/4/20 21:10:22

Walk up the river to the cedar trees, follow the sun and catch a nice cool breeze

From Gettysburg
Beautiful.

I'm one of those guys who loves the fall.....but you can't deny the beauty of spring. The water in streams literally looks different in springtime with that magical sparkle.

Posted on: 2013/4/20 21:03

From Bel Air, MD
That there are some beautiful fish...very nice post.

Posted on: 2013/4/20 23:25

From florida
Great post Dan.To me each season has it's own smells that let us know it's here. I kinda miss the "real" seasons down here. GG

Posted on: 2013/4/21 6:53

From Lambertville
They are great pics Squaretail and I like the narrative; thanks for posting. Generally, you have to buy a magazine to see stuff like this.

Posted on: 2013/4/21 8:44

From Ohio
Great post and pics, thanks for sharing. I don't know, I do love fishing in the fall a lot, but I think I like spring a tad better. It just seems more refreshing and more lively to me. And nice fish!

Posted on: 2013/4/21 9:58

From Pittsburgh
Great pics Dan.

Posted on: 2013/4/21 15:58

From Leola, PA
Wonderful. Thanks for the quality posting.

Posted on: 2013/4/21 17:56

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Not enough of these posts recently. Very nice SqT. Great looking stream and Brookies. Did you turn up any Browns by chance?

Posted on: 2013/4/21 20:12

From Ohio
Great post, that last fish is a beauty! As for spring v. fall fishing, I think spring wins out only because fishing is a little bit more satisfying when you trying to get over a case of cabin fever.

Posted on: 2013/4/21 20:14

From Ferguson Twp.
That was deep Square deep... Nice post. Haven't fished that stream for years, thanks for the reminder. Whenever I've been there I haven't ran into anyone fishing either.

Posted on: 2013/4/21 21:40

From Luzerne County, PA
Beautiful stream, there must be a dozen Cherry Run's in the state, I fished one late last fall. Those brookie streams do have a way of sucking you in to following them further and further into the woods.

Posted on: 2013/4/22 0:02

From harlansburg
I fished the upper reaches on Saturday, and I also didn't catch what I expected, I think the weather may have put the fish in a sulking,pouty mood, the front coming through and the rain and such.
it's a beautiful creek, and I'm lucky to be friends with the guy that owns the land on the lower section at penns, but I enjoy fishing the upper sections better.
and yes, it does get a lot of pressure, which is no surprise when the road follows it for 3/4 of its length.
thanks for the great pics!

Posted on: 2013/4/22 6:41

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com