Digital SLR

C

clydeman

Looking to buy a new digital SLR camera with appropriate lens to shoot some pics of the flies that I tie. Any advice on best camera and lenses that I would need greatly appreciated. Also any tips on best set up to photograph flies as I am a novice photographer.
Thanks

You may wants to check out these folks. Do a search or ask there. There is some real knowledge there.

http://www.itinerantangler.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=Photography

I'm selling my canon rebel xt body for 450 (warranties still good until next Feb)..I'll throw in a camera bag and a spare battery with it. not a thing wrong with it. You can pic up a decent macro lens for 100 bucks if you look hard enough.

in the pics I posted of the flies, I was shooting with a standard 1:1 ratio 18-55 mm lens and holding the camera. Had I mounted on a tripod the pics would be even better. You really don't need a special lens, but they do help tremendously. You want a 1:2 ratio or better for some raunchy pics.

that board is nice, but if you want the best advice I would google photography forum and visit the few few. Those dudes are serious.

I use a Canon Rebel XT for my fly pics. . I shoot them hand held and have no ptoblems. the built in TTL flash works good close up, and also the 18-55 lens does well.

spending the money (600-1k) on DSLR and a lens... just to take pictures of flies is overkill... especially since you say that you are just starting out

Get a Digi Point and shoot with a good macro/super macro
learn the settings and what they do
learn shot composition

here is a basic explanation of how to shoot flies
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2984

Hey cat,

come on man, I need that t2i

Ramcatt wrote:
spending the money (600-1k) on DSLR and a lens... just to take pictures of flies is overkill... especially since you say that you are just starting out

Get a Digi Point and shoot with a good macro/super macro
learn the settings and what they do
learn shot composition

The only thing good about a point and shoot is that they are easy to carry, You have no control over the way it takes the pic and the ones that have the screen, you can't see what you are takeing a picture of most of the time. for some one starting out in photagraphy, there is nothing to learn with them.
I have a Nikon Coolpix digital and the only time I use it is when I carry it with me fishing, in a dry pouch.

I have a Nikon Coolpix and have tried the macro setting but not happy with the results. Do not get the resolution that I see of pics on other postings.

Clyde... the offer stands. It's a great camera to learn with and like I said, I'll throw in a spare battery and case in the deal. You will get quality like those in the "few bugs" post in the general forum.

the only reason I am parting with it is because I am upgrading to a different camera for some work that I have somehow managed to get.

clydeman wrote:
Looking to buy a new digital SLR camera with appropriate lens to shoot some pics of the flies that I tie. Any advice on best camera and lenses that I would need greatly appreciated. Also any tips on best set up to photograph flies as I am a novice photographer.
Thanks

SLRs can be really useful as they open up vast areas of control and equipment that can be tailored to do what you want. The ability to change lenses to maximize their advantages, easily exert fine tuned control over focus when navigating tricky compositions, and purposely under or overexpose above and beyond 2.5EV steps is great.

Most people buy one, stick an all-in-wonder zoom on the front, drop it into one of three program modes and never change out.

Of course, with the PnS, you can use the exact same program modes, you'll probably never push very far outside of the range of the superzoom you were going to jam on the front of your SLR anyways, you have the ability to change (generally speaking) +/- 2 full stops of exposure, manual focus is a PITA with a PnS versus a camera with a focus ring on the lens, and well, its gonna do everything the fancy DSLR will do except cost as much and impress the kids on the Internet.

The sole exception to all this spiel is shutter lag, chances are your PnS will have much worse shutter lag (time between push of button and taking of picture) than an SLR. Are you doing action/sports photography? Y'know, in the pits at Monte Carlo while the F1 cars blast by at 200mph giving a narrow window? No, flies, you say? What, like the kind that'll fl...oh, made ones on hooks? Sit in the vise sort of flies? Yeah, that's not "sports," that's still life and an extra .5 second of time isn't gonna matter.

If you've got more money than you know what to do with, go nuts. If, however, you're trying to make sane purchasing decisions, buy a quality PnS and just carry it with you.

Its not the camera, its the operator.

Edit:
One of these pictures was made with a $99 Point and Shoot camera, the other one was taken with a 3ish year old DSLR that cost about $500 at the time, with a $250 lens on the front of it. Tell me, please, which is which without having to goto the image data to pull a model number? I didn't cherry pick these, either, these were the first images I found as I went back through my iphoto library.

Attachments

• IMGP0830.jpg
    IMGP0830.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMGP4035.jpg
    IMGP4035.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 4
I agree its not the camera, its the operator.
Since posting I have googled the subject and found lots of info on how to improve my photography. So maybe I should pursue that path before taking the plunge for a new camera as I do not have money to burn.
Sorry Steve have to pass on the offer.
Thanks

Gfen
Cannot tell which is shot with the more expensive camera.

Soft Hackle pic? Just a guess.

I agree, it's the operator, but if you're into photography, under 1 g for equipment is actually pennies.

get a nice backdrop and a tripod and shoot with natural light to avoid a flash with your P & S and all is good.

... and seriously, to an extent I will agree with it's the one behind the camera. Not true in all given situations though.

I defer to gfen on camera expertise.

I can say that I have a Canon SX10is, which is one of the "superzooms", kind of a cross between point and shoot and SLR. I'm very happy with it, big lens that grabs lots of light and does well in low light conditions, lots of functionality regarding exposures and such, sharp pictures, it focuses quick and doesn't have much shutter lag, even has a nice burst mode. Great macro for bugs and flies.

The negatives: 1. Can't use filters. 2. Noticable barrel distortion, but that only bothers me when I try to take a picture of something straight, like a fishing rod. It could probably be corrected with some software, but I'm too lazy for that.

gfen, the first picture strikes me as a better picture, hence I'll guess its the better camera. In the second pic, there's a fuzziness quality to it, just not as sharp. Could just be focus, I dunno.

I'll add a note to Gfen's comments; if you go with a point and shoot you can take it along streamside for insect pictures and not have to worry as much. I have a small Pentax that cost around $100 that I use for most of my maro pics. About the only time I drag out the SLR is when I need a polarizer to improve a macro shot. This is an advantage on some flies but I wouldn't have made the purchase just for taking fly pictures.

OR get a high end PnS...Canon G10/11/12 or the S90/95. If you're a Nikon fan check out the P7000. They all give total manual control of a DSLR in a handy package.

I'd also guess the soft hackle was taken w/ the PnS, not nearly as sharp, lack of fine detail that you can see in the top picture.

BTW, what's the recipe for that top fly, looks like a killer!

Here is my suggestion...

my girl bought a canon powershot s3 off ebay from a woman who has a stock of them. It has video capability, is small but not too small, and gives you the ability to to control depth of field, iso, and shutter speed, which for fly fishing, is all you really need to worry about. It was 120 dollars.

I have an olympus stylus tough 8000... a pretty rad p & s and would rather carry her powershot over it unless I'm shooting underwater, which is where the olympus shines.

clydeman wrote:
Gfen
Cannot tell which is shot with the more expensive camera.
Soft Hackle pic? Just a guess.

You are correct, the only way I could tell is by the picture name, I've had one longer than the other so it's taken more pictures.

That sums up my point, though. You don't need high end or expensive gear, you just need something that fills the requirements put forth, which is a close focus. Period. "Macro mode," if you will. The cute little flower icon on the program mode menu.

Traditionally, there were two advantages of a Single Lens Reflex (SLR) camera, through the lens (TTL) composition and the ability to change lenses.

TTL isn't nearly as important, because 99% of the pictures people take are composed on the LCD. That's actually a step backwards in time, to when photographs were composed on a ground glass that the film was slipped in front of. The loss of TTL and a view finder isn't really too much of an issue, to be honest.

THen there's the ability to change lenses, the single most important feature of a SLR. Its also the one the most people skip over anymore. In Ye Olde Days up 'til the '80s, people primarily carried "prime lenses." Single focal lengths. 35mm. 50mm. 85mm. Etc. They did this because zooms were too many compromises along the spectrum, and if you needed to go from wide (35mm) to a short tele (85mm), you didn't turn the zoom ring, you swapped the lens.

Optical design has come a long way, and superzooms that went from 28mm to 220mm became deriguer. Suddenly, people who just wanted a "good camera" and bought an SLR could buy one superzoom and cover 99% of what they do, and thought that because it had lots of dials and widgets they were better snapshotters than the guy who just used the cheap PnS camera.

All they've done is spent two or three times as much, carried 5-10x as much weight and bulk, and enhanced their ability to make images by a fraction more than what they could do with their PnS cameras.

Let's just take a break, and a thinking exercise. Of all your friends who are "really good photographers," how many of them regularly switch out the lenses versus doing 99% of their work with one zoom that covers from wide to tele (ie, 18mm to 105mm in our modern APS-C sensorized world)?

There are going to be situations where mo'better gear is an advantage to the simple PnS camera. Why not learn where those are by butting up against them and employ a decent PnS first, then you'll recognize the places where the high end gear will come into play. You're also better served with a small, budget camera you carry with you at all times versus an expensive DSLR that weighs too much and isn't water proof and etc etc etc that stays back at your car.

To sum it all up, you catch a big trout. 18-20" and you tell your friends abotu it, what do they ask? "Hey man, great fish, what brand of rod did you use?"

Now, with all that said, I bought a Pentax WS80 for $99 on sale. Its fantastic outdoors, but a little lackluster indoors with the software based image stablization on. That's the latest in a long list of Pentax equipment, which has always focused (no pun intended) on quality gear at budget prices. You won't impress the Internet nerds with model numbers, but you'll get it done with the finest lenses outside of W. Germany.

I have an olympus stylus tough 8000... a pretty rad p & s and would rather carry her powershot over it unless I'm shooting underwater, which is where the olympus shines.

Canon makes an underwater powershot. I have it. The Canon Powershot D10. The pictures I threw up in the picture section were taken with it. Just sayin....

Back