Did you ever just lose your mojo?

BelAirSteve

BelAirSteve

So I recently started posting again - those of you that recognize my name know that last year I was going through some very difficult times with my Mom being diagnosed with Alzheimers, and some job related issues.

Mom is doing well, and getting good care, and the job situation has since stabilized, leaving me more time to fish and tie again, after a long break. I got back into fishing doing more warm water fishing close to home, and I love it.

I recently made a couple trips to the Gunpowder, and for the life of me can't seem to get a trout in my hand. I jokingly told me wife that I must have gotten spoiled by smallmouth and sunfish on poppers. It's like I can't do anything right. After some reflection, I think I am not being patient. I always cover a lot of water, no matter what I am fishing for, or where I fish, but I am still using the same techniques I have been successful with in the past. I feel like a baseball player in a hitting slump...I'll get out of it I know, but I was just wondering, has anyone else gone through anything like this?

Steve

Even after many years of FF - I still have a day now and then where I just can't seem to do anything right. Missing strikes - losing and breaking off fish. It happens to all of us I guess.

I attribute it to a lack of concentration - for whatever reason.
Best thing to do is forget about it, and keep plugging away

Just stop an take a whisker of a break,Breathe , Breathe, breathe, then breathe some more alot of times folks just over think things an they lose there spark for a bit,hang in there it will come back, Its just like tying steelhead flies then saltwater, alll of a sudden you switch to midges, gotta take a moment an breathe....this too shall soon pass.
I been there will be there again im sure, this is what always works for me.

I was in a funk early this past spring, until about mid april. I was starting to wonder what trout looked like! then I hit penns when it was on fire and all the bad days were forgotten.

I don't think I've ever found my mojo...

Good to see you back and hear things are on the mend!

I wasn't on the fourm way back when, but it's good to hear things in life are improving for you.

Also, I am new to FF, but having been involved in many similar sports/hobbies I can guess that it might just be your absence has made you a bit anxious to get back into it and you're "forcing" things a bit - perhaps trying to convince yourself that you can land a trout at will. Forget about landing the fish, just enjoy being out and relax and things will fall in to place. If not, well, be grateful for the ones you have landed (Henry Winkler's - I Never Met an Idiot on the River puts a good spin on life and fly fishing. He records and photogrpahs every trout he lands, thanks them, and places them back in the river).

I can't tell if your slump consists of not getting takes or missing takes or losing hooked fish, or some combination.

In any case, I have had periods of all of the above.

Not getting takes (in water where you know there are fish) may be the result of inartful approach. Perhaps habits of approaching bass and other ww species are interfering with the more effective quiet, thoughtful and patient approach to be used for trout in streams.

Missing Takes is all timing: simpler said then done solution is to acquire better timing. Again, the move to small streams and trout vs more aggressive feeders may account for a re-learning curve as you get back into trout in streams.

Not landing hooked trout is likely because of a dull hook or just as likely, a sharp hook that fails to penetrate the tissue well enough.

People say you don't "set the hook" in trout FFing. I understand what is meant, but disagree with the terminology. That is, you MUST ALWAYS set the hook in any angling, but you set it differently for trout on a fly rod. "Tugging against the run" is often the most effective way to set the hook, because trout in an active feeding mode will often slide into the "take zone" from their lie and immediately after the take return to their lair. Likewise, when they feel the pinch of the hook and resistence in a certain direction, they typically will struggle against it. If your tippet is sufficient, do not be afraid to tug back hard at these times, assuring a secure hook attachment.

I recently made a couple trips to the Gunpowder, and for the life of me can't seem to get a trout in my hand.
If the Gunpowder is anything like streams in SEPA, we're in a period of dry weather - which results in gin clear low water. Makes ambushing fish even more difficult.

Really puts you at a disadvantage & impacts effects of false casts, allowing the fish to see even a portion of line in the air, and even water disturbances & noise.

I've often wondered if FFing is a "perishable" skill. In other words, if you stop doing it for awhile, will your ability degrade? Certainly, I doubt it's like a foreign language where you really need to keep at it - nor is it like riding a bike or swimming. Personally, I've FFed since I was a kid and the longest periods in my life when I haven't held a fly rod can only be measured in months.

Anyway, speaking for myself, I don't think I've ever lost my mojo other than to recall the normal, cyclical, ups and downs one has with any endeavor. If I were to quit FFing for a few years or more however, I'm sure I could be successful and enjoy the sport upon return.....but I'd imagine that I wouldn't be quite as sharp at certain things like seeing fish, casting in the wind etc.
Hhmmm...

I have the same thoughts of slumping and lack of mojo just about every time I'm on my way home from an Erie steelhead trip.

5RingsBL wrote:
I have the same thoughts of slumping and lack of mojo just about every time I'm on my way home from an Erie steelhead trip.

Ha, Ha! Ask anyone whoever shared the drive with me-- Erie Steelhead is the bane of my fly fishing experiences. More often than not, I'm skunked. Five fish in a day is about the best I've ever done and I might be lying about that even.

You need a "slump buster" bro. One good catch and you will have regained your mojo. A certain Doors song might help as well.

The Gunpowder in midsummer, especially during the day in hot weather, is not a difficult place to get sprayed with the skunk. Especially if you're mainly a dry-fly person. Check your PM.

I've been doing this for 45 years, and I have days when I am like the character in Walden's "The Complete Tangler." I have recently discovered an autumn hatch that I just cannot get a handle on, and I have -- now imagine an old fart in his 60's doing this -- actually thrown my rod into the water in frustration. So, don't feel like you're alone in having frustrating outings.

I look at my fly fishing like a baseball player. You would like a 4 for 4 day every time you play but you know it will not happen.
I was out today and hooked 4 fish but lost 8 flies, tangled my leader and must have had a dozen refusals. I told my friend that the fish were goofing with my superior brain. :)
Some days I can't miss and other days I have to look at the hook and make sure it is not broken.
I have learned to enjoy the day and not worry about the score.

I go in and out of slumps. For the most part, they are shortlived, often even less than a day. But certainly, yes, I'll go through an hour long spurt where I can't keep untangled, out of trees, can't make a good knot, etc. That's when I know it's me who is messing up. When I simply can't do anything right.

There are other streaks where you're missing fish, or can't get a strike, etc. I strike that stuff up to either luck or lack of knowledge/talent, rather than the temporary ups and downs in performance.

I a firm believer in MOJO & CARMA. But that goes with the territory of what I mainly fish for. I hate getting the yips, thats f'n up at the precise it costs ya the fish. I hate those runs.

I dunno. Sometimes just trying crazy stuff works at least on small streams. Yesterday in a braided section of a stream there was a pool, with a small stump, the pool was no more than half the size of a bathtub... for the heck of it I tossed a fly into branches first, a spiderweb second, and then into the pool. Why not? Surprisingly big brown trout turned out to be in there... 14" ... Fish ran a few laps around the pool

One set of circumstances I have found frustrating... Long walks into streams that turn out to have few fish and bigger pools than I expected... No fun in that situation to have a 7' 2 weight, when I should have brought heavier gear, but I really like two weights on small streams.

Thanks for the thoughts, comments, and PMs guys...another reason why I read this forum more than any other! And to answer some of the earlier questions, it's not a question of missing strikes, it's not finding fish at all.

There is also a golf analogy - you know, where they say you have to see the shot in your mind's eye first? Well, I am going to focus on picturing myself using good technique and exercising patience. And by the way, I don't play golf anymore...since I started fly fishing!

One of my fishing buddies, who has taught me a lot over the last 3 years, is the most patient ff'er I know. When we fish close together and nymph a series of riffles and runs, he will work the hell out of every single spot. I note that sometimes when I catch a fish and move to another area, he will continue to work the same spot and catch 3 fish, where I would have moved on. I could be more like that.

And it's not about keeping score. At the risk of sounding cliche, I am perfectly happy spending a day on the water and not catching double digit fish...it truly is therapy for me. I just love the sight of a wild trout it my hand - one of the most beautiful things on this earth.

Lost my MIND a few times never the mojo......

Back